Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glen Beck ponders moving show to New Hampshire  (Read 13563 times)

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
Re: Glen Beck ponders moving show to New Hampshire
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2009, 11:26:51 pm »

However, for that equaltion to work, the FSP must hold on to the greater number of residents who would naturally sympathize with it.  A mere 20,000 votes spread out is not that much in a state of over 1,000,000 people.  I know *many* people - friends of mine - who are local Garnite Staters, who were sympathetic and supportive when I first described the FSP to them.  Almost to a one, they have now dismissed the FSP as a lunatic fringe because of the antics of a few who receive the media attention.

I think you are confused by what the FSP is.  The FSP is just a way to get freedom folks to move to NH.  The FSP doesn't do shit in NH.  Individuals do stuff in NH.  Individuals built reputations in NH.  The FSP isn't related to that.

The FSP must not hold any number of residents to anything.  No one needs to like the FSP for it to work.  Heck, 1/2 of the folks in NH could hate it and it wouldn't make much difference.  I don't go around talking to people in NH about the FSP, the FSP doesn't matter in NH, only outside of NH and then only in getting people to NH. 

Some of the state reps I talk to don't even know I moved to NH as part of the FSP, and they don't care either.  It isn't related to anything so there is no point in bring it up.  They are very thankful that I talked to them, many times though.  They are very thankful that I alerted them to something, many times though.  They are very thankful that I helped them get elected.  Similar for state senators. 

Feel free to talk to people in NH about the FSP, I don't see a point in doing that unless someone brings it up to me.  I have no interest in spreading the word of the FSP in NH.  I have interest is telling voters about the more pro-freedom candidate in an upcoming election, a controversial bill that is about to be voted on, educating state reps, and getting good state reps elected.  I focus most of my attention in NH on these things.

Millions of people like Glenn Beck.  If he says good things about NH, it might encourage some of those folks to move to NH.

There's something that Thom is getting at, though.  And I see this all the time; anyone cites criticism that people have en masse with freestaters, and the only defense that I see is "but the freestate PROJECT isn't that it's just get people to move."  True but, what is drawing in the freestaters that people are dismissing as a lunatic fringe?  The Project itself.

You're right the FSP doesn't do shit in NH and it doesn't seek a reputation on its own.  But as you said, individuals do do shit in NH, and they do build reputations and it's I think facetious to try to ignore the reality that people are assigning a reputation to the Project based on the reputations and acts of individuals who claim to be part of the Project.

Looking through the perspective of someone who doesn't like the freestaters, if it weren't for the Project, they wouldn't be here.  What kind of effect do you predict that has on people's opinion of the Project?  "It's the thing that gets the crazy lunatics to move here."  Oh, but it's not about the crazies?  You say you're involved with politicians yet fail to grasp the concept that perception is reality?  I find this odd.

I understand why it's not pertinent to talk in NH about the Project, since they're already here.  And what you say you are focusing your attention on sounds like a worthy recipient of your attention.

And I think as long as Glenn Beck just yammers away at NH being an awesome place to live and full of rad people, then no problem.  But as soon as he says he himself is calling himself a freestater, then it's just one more thing that Freestaters may need to answer for, in addition to "yes I"m a freestater but no I'm not gonna do [whatever the latest "crazy" thing was]."  Now we'll have "yeah I am but not...I don't likey the Glenn Beck.  He's a nutto."  Unless one is actually down for him.

[standby while I put on my tinfoil hat and formulate a reply]

I have been listening to GB since he was an unknown in Tampa ten years ago.  His message was much different then, and surprisingly (to some on this forumj) very open minded on social issues.  He has consistently been a self-admitted deviant "sick freak" and not to be taken too seriously.  He also has talent, drive and an audience.  It seems to me that he going through some kind of libertarian awakening.  I really don't see how he could do harm to the FSP; however, he could bring attention to the cause.  (No such thing as bad publicity?)

So anyway, it has been about a week since he brought it up.  Did GB follow through on this NH idea or what?
Tu ne cede malis.

Bondurant

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2010, 01:40:24 pm »

It's a free country.  Glen Beck can move wherever he so chooses.  I could care less where he lives.  Personally, I don't mind Glen Beck.  I don't agree with some of what he says but, unlike many others in the media, he has a sence of humor.

As for the politics I don't think he's really a libertarian minded person.  I think some old school republicans have been turned off by the big spending ways of the Republican Party as of late.  This brings the old schoolers into the libertarian fold, or so they think.  But some of these folks, like Beck, lack the beliefs of a true libertarian.  It goes a bit further than economic issues.

PraeterIdiot

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »

(No such thing as bad publicity?)

There is such thing as bad publicity.

maybesomeday

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2010, 11:57:39 pm »

(No such thing as bad publicity?)

There is such thing as bad publicity.

see ACORN

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 09:53:53 am »

However, for that equaltion to work, the FSP must hold on to the greater number of residents who would naturally sympathize with it.  A mere 20,000 votes spread out is not that much in a state of over 1,000,000 people.  I know *many* people - friends of mine - who are local Garnite Staters, who were sympathetic and supportive when I first described the FSP to them.  Almost to a one, they have now dismissed the FSP as a lunatic fringe because of the antics of a few who receive the media attention.

I think you are confused by what the FSP is.  The FSP is just a way to get freedom folks to move to NH.  The FSP doesn't do shit in NH.  Individuals do stuff in NH.  Individuals built reputations in NH.  The FSP isn't related to that.

The FSP must not hold any number of residents to anything.  No one needs to like the FSP for it to work.  Heck, 1/2 of the folks in NH could hate it and it wouldn't make much difference.  I don't go around talking to people in NH about the FSP, the FSP doesn't matter in NH, only outside of NH and then only in getting people to NH. 

Some of the state reps I talk to don't even know I moved to NH as part of the FSP, and they don't care either.  It isn't related to anything so there is no point in bring it up.  They are very thankful that I talked to them, many times though.  They are very thankful that I alerted them to something, many times though.  They are very thankful that I helped them get elected.  Similar for state senators. 

Feel free to talk to people in NH about the FSP, I don't see a point in doing that unless someone brings it up to me.  I have no interest in spreading the word of the FSP in NH.  I have interest is telling voters about the more pro-freedom candidate in an upcoming election, a controversial bill that is about to be voted on, educating state reps, and getting good state reps elected.  I focus most of my attention in NH on these things.

Millions of people like Glenn Beck.  If he says good things about NH, it might encourage some of those folks to move to NH.

There's something that Thom is getting at, though.  And I see this all the time; anyone cites criticism that people have en masse with freestaters, and the only defense that I see is "but the freestate PROJECT isn't that it's just get people to move."  True but, what is drawing in the freestaters that people are dismissing as a lunatic fringe?  The Project itself.

You're right the FSP doesn't do shit in NH and it doesn't seek a reputation on its own.  But as you said, individuals do do shit in NH, and they do build reputations and it's I think facetious to try to ignore the reality that people are assigning a reputation to the Project based on the reputations and acts of individuals who claim to be part of the Project.

Looking through the perspective of someone who doesn't like the freestaters, if it weren't for the Project, they wouldn't be here.  What kind of effect do you predict that has on people's opinion of the Project?  "It's the thing that gets the crazy lunatics to move here."  Oh, but it's not about the crazies?  You say you're involved with politicians yet fail to grasp the concept that perception is reality?  I find this odd.

I understand why it's not pertinent to talk in NH about the Project, since they're already here.  And what you say you are focusing your attention on sounds like a worthy recipient of your attention.

And I think as long as Glenn Beck just yammers away at NH being an awesome place to live and full of rad people, then no problem.  But as soon as he says he himself is calling himself a freestater, then it's just one more thing that Freestaters may need to answer for, in addition to "yes I"m a freestater but no I'm not gonna do [whatever the latest "crazy" thing was]."  Now we'll have "yeah I am but not...I don't likey the Glenn Beck.  He's a nutto."  Unless one is actually down for him.

[standby while I put on my tinfoil hat and formulate a reply]

I have been listening to GB since he was an unknown in Tampa ten years ago.  His message was much different then, and surprisingly (to some on this forumj) very open minded on social issues.  He has consistently been a self-admitted deviant "sick freak" and not to be taken too seriously.  He also has talent, drive and an audience.  It seems to me that he going through some kind of libertarian awakening.  I really don't see how he could do harm to the FSP; however, he could bring attention to the cause.  (No such thing as bad publicity?)

So anyway, it has been about a week since he brought it up.  Did GB follow through on this NH idea or what?

Glen was just talking outloud about possiible places to move and he obviously doesn't know a lot about NH.  He's not sure what he wants to do but if you want him to move here, I"d recommend writing him.
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up