Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Glen Beck ponders moving show to New Hampshire  (Read 14918 times)

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
Re: Glen Beck ponders moving show to New Hampshire
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 02:32:06 pm »

I fully expected the anti-Beck comments when I made my remarks earlier on. Maybe GOP leaders are wolves in sheep's clothing but the rank and file aren't. They are completely ideologically vulnerable at this point in time and are ripe for being educated. While many may be socially conservative, the main issues now are the economy, cap and trade and health care. I used to be a social conservative but have come around. It's unfair to not give others that chance. Most of us started out as non-libertarians, but through education and being around libertarians people tend to shift their beliefs somewhat. Having the Beck show in NH would put us on the map and would highlight our state's anti-tax and pro-gun rights culture. Inevitably, many will find out about the FSP which is a good thing. We need to reach 20,000 signers asap in order to trigger others to move.

And for the record, I don't watch his show nor do I worship the ground he walks on. I'm just thinking pragmatically here. If anyone hasn't realized it yet, the number of FSP weekly signups has slowed to a trickle. We need to innovate in order to complete this project.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:35:47 pm by Rebel »

creaganlios

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 02:38:09 pm »

And for the record, I don't watch his show nor do I worship the ground he walks on. I'm just thinking pragmatically here. If anyone hasn't realized it yet, the number of FSP weekly signups has slowed to a trickle. We need to innovate in order to complete this project.

I'm sorry, but if you don't watch his show, then you're not thinking pragmatically when you suggest he would be a positive force for the FSP. 

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 02:48:08 pm »

Maybe GOP leaders are wolves in sheep's clothing but the rank and file aren't.

There we go! +10

(Same goes for the democratic party)

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 02:54:15 pm »

I'm sorry, but if you don't watch his show, then you're not thinking pragmatically when you suggest he would be a positive force for the FSP. 
I didn't say that I've never seen it, I just meant that I'm not a regular Beck watcher. From what I've seen, he's been covering the Fed and our out of control spending as well as mentioning all of the commies in the Obama regime. Beck used to get on Bush's case too. Being that the economy and health care are the top issues, those are the main focus of those that participate in Beck's Tea Party movement. Thanks to Beck, the 9-12 rally allowed for the FSP to get seen by likely over a million people as Rep Winters got to address the crowd. We also passed out flyers and held a booth at the rally. To say that Beck isn't helping wake people up is disingenuous. At the different Tea Parties across the country, it's up to us to get out there and work the crowd over and educate them to our viewpoint. His main value is getting people off their couches and prod them to do something rather than just sitting back. Since Beck works for Fox, don't expect him to preach a voluntaryist message. The fact that he's embracing some libertarian ideals is making a difference.

madness!

• please feel free to friend me
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 04:28:31 am »

Glenn beck surely is not a wolf in sheep's clothing. he had made his agenda very clear. and for that i respect him. but he is an asshole.

yeah, an actual signature. does that blow your mind?!

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 06:49:32 am »

Educating people. The job he's chosen isn't about education.

I'll see if I can explain. Though most people that call themselves libertariain believe the FED has some unique power... it doesn't.
Its main function is to set interest rates high enough to get investors willing to buy debt, but not so high that those needing credit will be squeezed. Other than that the system is designed to limit the natural economic function known as fractional reserve banking.
Does Beck describe it as such?

The fiscal mess is pretty simple also. Total current federal revenues will not cover the expenditures. The Ponzi scheme of Social Security and Medicare were created under FDR, but created a disaster under Reagan (two noted presidents). Under Reagan, the scheme changed from a pure Ponzi to one with the federal government having an excess which could be used to cover ongoing deficit spending. But that excess is no longer there to be 'skimmed'... and in fact must now be paid back. So the deficits of the last twenty-five years appeared smaller than they were, while the deficits of the next twenty-five will appear larger than actual without this 'carry forward'.

Now the real fiscal mess... the discretionary spending in the US is almost entirely transfer to the States.

Economics always balance in the end... so the lower taxation without cuts in discretionary spending during the last twenty-five years will need to be reversed for some period over the next several decades. This is what current political debates are really about... with a lot of political hype thrown in.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 06:51:48 am by John Edward Mercier »

Delphina

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 07:26:16 am »

Though most people that call themselves libertariain believe the FED has some unique power... it doesn't. Its main function is to set interest rates high enough to get investors willing to buy debt, but not so high that those needing credit will be squeezed. Other than that the system is designed to limit the natural economic function known as fractional reserve banking.

But how this interest rate setting works is where the true power lies. It is the power to print (or create digital) money and lend it to  banks (and whomever else it wants) at the rate it sets which determines the interest rates in the market - because no bank is going to lend at a rate lower than what it borrows out.  All this is done without any accountability or transparency... The Fed lent to Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac (state idea companies) at lower rates than banks, which enabled them to take higher risks and comfortably eat up bad loans that the banks were making which encouraged them to make worse loans...etc.  Another Ponzi scheme.

In fact, the Federal Reserve note is itself a Ponzi scheme... our entire economy is based on credit, there is no reserve, the notes keep getting printed as needed, not based on anything of value and that is why the mentality of 'spend to fix' is so prevalent. As soon as the Ponzi scheme stops bringing in more money, it falls a part.

We are in such a hole now that no matter how many cuts the government makes in spending, it will crash, and it's going to be butt ugly. Federal Reserve Notes will be worth less than their paper ink... just like in Zimbabwe.

And after watching the World Economic Brainstorming session which is giving it's request to the G20 - they came up with this solution: World Government Regulation is needed because a false belief that markets correct themselves and unethical behavior is the problem. Only a few even mentioned that maybe the government, influenced by lobbyists might have interfered to create false market influences and encouraged higher risk and immoral behavior.

The state virus was in full bloom... they don't trust members of the world market to be smart or ethical, but they trust the state is full of ethically elite. Only a few people in the discussion even mentioned the state as doing anything wrong and only the guy from Switzerland pointed out punishment (paying back the money) for bad decisions of companies (instead of bailouts) stops bad behavior... and when asked for a show of hands on who agreed with him - only a small minority.

I'm on a tangent... sorry.
It's $3.00 for a Coke at the movies that costs $0.01 to make and yet some people are only upset that the chain they go to doesn't sell Pepsi.

WendellBerry

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 06:56:10 pm »

In fact, the Federal Reserve note is itself a Ponzi scheme... our entire economy is based on credit, there is no reserve, the notes keep getting printed as needed, not based on anything of value

The assets of the federal government (buildings/lands/gold, etc) can easily cover the"notes"...they are not easily convertible and thus not redeemable.

lloydbob1

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 07:24:16 pm »

I understand that that ship sailed years ago and the fed lands won't cover the outstanding notes.

McClarinJ

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 10:37:32 pm »

If he moves to NH, I'm moving out  ;)

In truth, I hope to move out anyway, and not for any reason having to do with Beck or FSP or my libertarian politics.  I'm heading down to Ecuador next month to buy some property there, maybe 24 acres next to a wildlife reserve (only $5k) because I plan to live there and do entomological research in the equatorial rain forest.  It could also be a damned good bug-out location in case some serious SHTF.

I like most of what Beck is doing and am willing to cut him some slack on the rest because by slowly evolving in our direction in a very public way before his audience he is apt to bring millions of them along with him whereas trying to load them with a dose of pure libertarianism could send them packing.  The guy has mind and a talent.  Let's see what he does with them before completely trashing him.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 11:19:34 pm »

There isn't very many 'notes' (paper dollars)... and they could be covered with coin rather easily.

Fractional reserve banking isn't a function of the Federal Reserve System... its a natural economic function that has existed for centuries. They use the federal discount rate to slow the level of borrowing... but in reality the Congress has created so many GSEs outside the FRS that it just circumvents the restrictions.

The US government also has the ability to cover its entire debt in short order... but this requires actually taxing at the level of expenditures.

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 09:58:08 am »

Over the weekend I heard Glen Beck on his show, pondering moving to NH.   He asked for cities to write and convince him.  He thinks this could possibly be THE place

for entrepreneurs.  He's fascinated by "the history of New Hampshire"...it was fun to hear someone really wonder/guess about what FSPers allready know.
Sounds like an opportunity to increase the exposure of FSP.  Whether Beck moves or not, he has a huge audience.  If he keeps talking about NH, he will bring attention to the liberty aspects of NH and possibly more attention to FSP (such as viewers googling "new hampshire liberty").  Despite being pretty whacked-out, he seems to stand with those who think less government is better.

Also, if he moves to NH, I can't see how it would change the actual workings of the liberty movement or much else in NH.  I reckon progressive statists would hate it a lot more than any folks here.

(edited speling error for clarity  ;) )
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:31:40 pm by Floridian »
Tu ne cede malis.

PraeterIdiot

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 02:22:58 pm »

The arrival of Beck, however, will chase those voters away and marginalize the anti-tax movement.  Please, Mr. Beck. stay away.

And fwiw, it's rather presumtive to assume that Conservatives merely need to be Educated. Many of them need to have their most deeply held principles - often enmeshed with Theological principles - completelely deconstructed, and that often takes a lifetime.  The 'alliance' of libertarians with Social Conservatives is a mistake and a disaster that will leave libertarians jilted at the altar, if not completely enslaved by their own lovers....

x2 

PraeterIdiot

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 02:24:27 pm »

The arrival of Beck, however, will chase those voters away and marginalize the anti-tax movement.  Please, Mr. Beck. stay away.

And fwiw, it's rather presumtive to assume that Conservatives merely need to be Educated. Many of them need to have their most deeply held principles - often enmeshed with Theological principles - completelely deconstructed, and that often takes a lifetime.  The 'alliance' of libertarians with Social Conservatives is a mistake and a disaster that will leave libertarians jilted at the altar, if not completely enslaved by their own lovers....

x2 

However I think the problem wouldn't be that he all by his lonesome were to move to NH, but if he were to up and call himself a Freestater.  That would definitely show that there is such thing as bad press.

lloydbob1

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 05:36:54 pm »

Probably not. Beck's possibly mentioning the FSP would bring new attention to it and the truth about us would get out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up