Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wyoming and Montana Senators Bring Home the Bacon  (Read 3371 times)

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 08:36:01 pm by libertarian40 »
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

freedomroad

Re:Wyoming and Montana Senators Bring Home the Bacon
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 10:42:25 am »

All Senators and all US Reps from all 50 states bring home pork spending.  Even Ron Paul does this.

The FSP has already collected the numbers and here they are:

Dep=$ this state gets back in federal expenditures for every $1 paid in federal taxes, 2001

State   Dep
Wyoming   1.14
Alaska   1.63
N. Dakota   1.95
Vermont   1.12
S. Dakota   1.50
Delaware   .86
Montana   1.67
Idaho   1.24
N. Hampshire   .71
Maine   1.31

Wyoming actually bring home less bacon, in actually Dollars.  While, as a percentage, New Hampshire brings home less bacon.

BobW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 10:49:00 am »

Hi Libertarian40,

Admittedly, I missed the point of the post.  

The whole country is into the racket.  This includes the non ag states also. Actually, the big bucks fro ag are in Illinois at the Chicago commodity houses.

Virginia has related rackets.  Every piece of sheet steel to build a Navy vessel isn't really to protect the country.  It might relate to the steel industry.

The rest of the country isn't innocent either.

BobW

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 11:01:38 am »

The rest of the country isn't innocent either.

BobW

New Hampshire is, Bob.  It is subsidizing the net-positive states, such as Wyoming and Montana.  It is losing money, whereas they are gaining it.  That was the point of Libertarian40's post.

Keith
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

BobW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 01:56:29 pm »

Hi Keith,

Re # 3;

I was probably wrong.  New Hampshire is innocent.

There is a Defense contractor in Dover I always wondered about.

A national nonpartisan group wanted to close down Electric Boat, Groton, Conn and NavShipYard, Portsmouth, NH to consolidate in Virginia.  Didn't Senator Bob Smith serve on  the Armed Services Committee with Chairman John Warner of Virginia?

Didn't Senator Jud Gregg serve on the Pension Committee?

No bacon deals?

OK, I concede.  New Hampshire is innocent.

BobW

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 02:05:58 pm »

Hey, I'm not suggesting that any state, including NH, does not look out for it's own interest at the federal level.  I'm sure that NH congressmen and senators vote to bring money back to their constituents whenever possible.  No one is truly "innocent" on that score.  It is dog-eat-dog at the national feeding trough.

However, NH and the other net-negative states are subsidizing the net-positive states.  In the grand scheme of things, NH is victimized by the wealth-redistribution policies of Congress, while WY and MT benefit.  This is in no small part due to the state of NH refusing to bow to federal mandates regarding seatbelt laws and the like.  

Keith posted the numbers for everyone to see.  We can argue over how much it matters, but it is indisputable that NH suffers a net loss every year, while WY and MT enjoy a net gain in tax dollars.
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 03:16:05 pm »

However, NH and the other net-negative states are subsidizing the net-positive states.  In the grand scheme of things, NH is victimized by the wealth-redistribution policies of Congress, while WY and MT benefit.

If it is any consolation to you,  both senators from Idaho voted against that bill, though they publically stated reasons other than the Constitution for doing so.
And I am pleased that New Hampshire senators did not vote for the farm bill, because, upon further research, that farm bill is laden with pork-barrel spending for the Northeast, not just the big commodity producer states, one example is new transportation and downtown re-development projects that will assist New Hampshire's downtowns, much supported by New Hampshire environmental groups.  
Of course, like it was said, NH is not innocent either, New Hampshire's Congressional representatives certainly frequently vote to get "their fair share of the pork" too.

New Hampshire also looks good having the best ratio on the federal expenditures per taxes issue.  If the populations of the western states were only making higher average incomes and therefore paying more taxes like they are in New Hampshire, if they did not have to deal with federal transfer payment obligations with the several native tribes in the west, and were not producing so much food and fiber commodities, and did not have major transportation highways connecting the continent running through them I wonder how much these ratios would change.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 03:16:44 pm by exitus... »
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

mactruk

• PEACE AND FREEDOM
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 05:10:14 pm »

After reading this dont you think most americans are stupid - all this stealing of your hard earn money but yet vote these crooks in?  and then debate how much of the stolen money you get back.  This is why our GOV is a mess they are all on the take.
Pages: [1]   Go Up