Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signed up but not sure about moving just yet.  (Read 2633 times)

slayerboy

Signed up but not sure about moving just yet.
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:34:51 am »

So, I signed up a while ago to the FSP.  I've been tossing the idea around and now it's down to crunch time.  My plan is to be out of NY state by 2011.

Since I'm from NY state (Rochester, NY to be exact), I'm well versed with snow and winter weather.  I hate it.  I've spent all my life in this city, and the cold is starting to bug me badly.  I'd love to move down south someplace, but I also want to be around like-minded people.  I'm not a huge activist and don't really intend to be a social butterfly at first.

Basically I'm wondering why I should choose NH over staying in NY or moving to the south (TX, FL, AZ).

What is the job market like?  What is the average monthly rent for an apartment?  What is the market like if I decided to open up my own computer repair business?

Right off the bat, NH has an upper-hand because of the FSP forum and my ability to get information quickly vs if I were to look into moving to say TX.  I'm assuming that winters will still be rough like they are here in NY (minus the unpredictability of lake effect snow here).  I guess I have questions about moving that I don't quite know what to ask or how to ask yet and just mainly wanted to introduce myself as a possible mover.  ;D

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Signed up but not sure about moving just yet.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:31:27 am »

Basically I'm wondering why I should choose NH over staying in NY or moving to the south (TX, FL, AZ).

What is the job market like?  What is the average monthly rent for an apartment?  What is the market like if I decided to open up my own computer repair business?

I will take the first question:

Because NH has the largest concentration of liberty lovers... seriously.

If you are into politics... there is system to help you get involved and make a difference from DAY ONE.
If you are into civil disobedience... there is a growing movement of activists.
If you are into being left alone....NH has that.

Job market... there is a recession but unemployment is not as bad in NH as the rest of the nation.
Rent... depends on what city and what you are looking for.
Dunno about that market...

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:51:41 am »

So many people claim to be antisocial before they move and blossom when they get here and feel comfortable for the first time in their lives. Your activism level changes too as well as your "purity". I think I would call it finding your own comfort level in an environment of acceptance and encouragement. In a way that just isn't possible other places.

Cathleen

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:19:56 am »

if not, it would make sense to withdraw your name and think about it
if warm weather is important, then i would look elsewhere
i hope our activism inspires you to fight the beast
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:35:15 am »

You can...

1) Be part of the most exciting liberty movement of our time, and work to achieve liberty in your lifetime, or....
2) Move somewhere with warmer weather.

The choice is yours; only you can decide which is more important to you.  Good luck.

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:30:48 pm »

I was telling everyone who brought it up--and that was pretty much everyone--that while it may be cold in New Hampshire, it's going to be getting way, way too hot in the rest of the nation. . . .

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:28:46 pm »

SLAYER!
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Pages: [1]   Go Up