Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow and snowmobiling  (Read 11195 times)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Snow and snowmobiling
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 02:19:17 am »

...have winter lows about 5-10 degrees warmer (26-31, instead of 21 F at night, for example) than Manchester, and there are a lot more rural-type activities around here.

Hmm, I might like Seabrook.  We're looking for something with room.  We'd like to be in a house with 2+ acres (wooded).  I'd rather not see our neighbors' houses.  Not that we're anti-social, quite the contrary, but after living in a place where the houses are on top of one another, it would be nice to have some room.  I also want to garden and have a workshop and such.  I'm going off on a tangent here.

I'd like to know more about the winter in Seabrook.  You mentioned winter lows nearing 31.  What are the winter highs then?  I'm thinking at those temps, the snow you get must be melting over the season.  Remembering my days living in Alaska, I really didn't care for the "wet pack" snow.  The stuff you could make snowmen out of.  I prefer "dry" snow (if that makes sense).  To put it another way, once the snow season hits, the snow doesn't melt until the season is over.

We're also looking for volunteers to help out with the Next 1,000, especially for out of state stuff.

What can I do to help?
Just keep track of where the groomer operators are complaining. Dry snow doesn't make a very good base and tends to be swept off the trails.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 06:30:03 am »

I don't know about that.  All I know is that I've seen a lot more snowmobiling here in Seabrook than I ever saw in Manchester.  The city may be colder, but it doesn't have the trails, backyards, forests, and expanses that we have here.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 07:38:46 am »

Manchester would be the Snowslickers... they cover quite an area.

Aqua Proton

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 12:37:08 pm »

Are there places in NH that I could get this:

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 12:39:51 pm »

Yup, up north, where the powder is deeper.

And occasionally, in the south, when the right sort of storm has come through.  We get light powder, down here, but it tends not to last all that long, before it condenses down into firmer snow.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 12:47:04 pm »

A couple of places. You'll need to ask around about the ungroomed designated trails... maybe Evergreen Snowmobile Club.

Aqua Proton

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 01:16:26 pm »

Yup, up north, where the powder is deeper.
A couple of places. You'll need to ask around about the ungroomed designated trails... maybe Evergreen Snowmobile Club.

Okay, that good to hear  :D   And thanks for the club suggestion.  I want to make sure I have a good idea about what to expect.  It would be awful to get there and find out the snowmobiling/winter is not what I pictured.

natf

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 01:54:55 pm »

Certainly there are some places but not as often as I'd like though.  Your best opportunities for powder riding will be after a decent snowfall or if you know a large landowner well.  Most trails throughout the state are over private land and a lot of land owners tend to frown on off trail riding.  The trails over public land are just as constrained.  That said you can certainly find fresh snow to make tracks in, especially after a weekday storm.

-Nat

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 02:19:32 pm »

Certainly there are some places but not as often as I'd like though.  Your best opportunities for powder riding will be after a decent snowfall or if you know a large landowner well.  Most trails throughout the state are over private land and a lot of land owners tend to frown on off trail riding.  The trails over public land are just as constrained.  That said you can certainly find fresh snow to make tracks in, especially after a weekday storm.

-Nat

Yep growing up I used to snowmobile on my grandfather's land, lots of powder. Anything public is probably going to be packed down hard a day or two after the snow fall.  My suggestion would be to befriend someone near by where you move who owns at least 200 acres, or maybe a few people who have a-joining land.  If you know them well most people won't mind as long as you aren't buzzing through their yard.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Aqua Proton

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 02:54:20 pm »

What about way up north in the White Mountain areas?

natf

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 04:56:19 pm »

What about way up north in the White Mountain areas?
Most of the White Mountain National Forest is off limits to snowmobiling (or any motorized vehicles).  There are some trails along the edges of the forest, but not many.  Most of my snowmobiling has actually been along the northern edge of the White Mountains and I have been able to find powder but from what I understand it's nothing like riding out west in mountain bowls.

-Nat

Aqua Proton

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 09:09:55 pm »

From what everyone has said here and the pictures I've seen on club websites, it does look like there is some great snowmobiling in NH.  So what are you all riding?  I used to have a Polaris Indy Sport.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 02:35:08 am »

I haven't ridden a snowmobile in over 25 years...

bobg450

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 07:35:57 am »

From what everyone has said here and the pictures I've seen on club websites, it does look like there is some great snowmobiling in NH.  So what are you all riding?  I used to have a Polaris Indy Sport.
      I ride an "04 Yamaha Warrior, '05 Yamaha Vector, and an antique 1978 Skidoo Everest 440 F/C.
I also live in Seabrook and the sledding season is my second most favorite season, offroad dirtbiking my favorite. Local trails can be rough 'til you get to a trail that is groomed. I go north, mostly above the "notches" (Crawford, Pinkham, & Franconia) when things are not that good down here, but there is usually plenty of good riding between here and there. There's little or no riding 'til you get west of Rt. 95. At least 115 exist and many clubs get reimbursed for grooming about 6,800 miles of trails. It's $48 to register as a resident if you belong to a club. Speed limit max is 45 mph conditions allowing. I'll mail you a copy of the Snow Traveler, the NHSA newspaper, if you like or visit www.NHSA.com for more info. Taxes are very low in Seabrook, mostly because of the Nuke plant where I have worked for 27 years. Not to worry (if you're that type) it's a very safe place and I wouldn't live so close if it wasn't. Taxes in other towns are rdiculous- I pay 2100, but my last house in a neighboring town is now 9K+ !
I went to MN recently for a job interview at another Nuke. Taxes were too high, #6 in the nation, and snowfall was not impressive, and it's much colder.
NH is not Utopia, but it's better than Mass, where I spent the first 1/2 of my life. We don't have near the social programs, but it is becoming more like Mass.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:11:37 pm by bobg450 »
Live Free or Die Trying

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 05:25:51 pm »

Yah!  Brookah!

If there's a better town to live in, I can't afford it.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up