Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On the fence...  (Read 2550 times)

bkingll

On the fence...
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:39:06 am »

I am 25, single, and considering moving to NH, but I have many questions about the state, most of which are not politically related.

The concerns I have are probably common though.  First and foremost, a job and career is a huge priority for me. I have a background in journalism and web design among other skills, but I am somewhat concerned about limited opportunities in New Hampshire, given the relatively small size of it's cities.  And speaking of cities, I am also quite fond of them, so I believe I'd fit best in the Manchester. Though, the coast would be cool too. If anyone has information on the job market in either area, it'd be much appreciated.

Another concern of mine is night life. While I am passionate about politics, I also like having fun. So if anyone has information on places that are good for a 25 year old bachelor, that would also be much appreciated.

The risk I am taking moving into New Hampshire from Louisville, Kentucky is pretty big for me. I literally don't know anyone with in hundreds of miles of the state. Hence, meeting people is pretty important. Any information for new people on meeting others, etc. would be helpful.  I assume I am not alone making that move.

Having not been to New Hampshire, there are many things that I don't know about the area. So, any information will help.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:42:35 am by bkingll »

lloydbob1

Re: On the fence...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:57:43 am »

You're 25!  Move!  The economy isn't going to be good anywhere for a while. You may as well be here.  There are lots of folks here that think like you do.
When you miss that 'Rebel Twang', in people's accents, you can go visit Tom Sawyer over near Keene.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:15:33 am »

You're 25!  Move!  The economy isn't going to be good anywhere for a while. You may as well be here.  There are lots of folks here that think like you do.
When you miss that 'Rebel Twang', in people's accents, you can go visit Tom Sawyer over near Keene.

Well said Lloyd.  And welcome to the Free State Project.  Please note that there are unofficially near 1000+ people who associate with this group of extreme liberty lovers, with weekly socials, all over the state, so you won't have to worry about meeting people.  The only question will be, how many people do you want to meet?

PS: The bigger the NH city, the bigger the chances are that you will find what you are looking for (except for probably nightlife, as Portsmouth has live music every night of the year but it's also the most expensive city in NH as well, I think).  Manchester has over 100,000 people and is the biggest city in the state.  You'll have to ask yourself just how big of a city you want to live in.  Good luck and again welcome to the greatest liberty experiment on the planet. 

PSS:  I've spent some time in Kentucky and can tell you you'll really like it here because the people in NH are as nice as they come and as a bonus, most are very warm to the ideas of liberty.
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:47:59 am »

I am 25, single, and considering moving to NH, but I have many questions about the state, most of which are not politically related.

The concerns I have are probably common though.  First and foremost, a job and career is a huge priority for me. I have a background in journalism and web design among other skills, but I am somewhat concerned about limited opportunities in New Hampshire, given the relatively small size of it's cities.  And speaking of cities, I am also quite fond of them, so I believe I'd fit best in the Manchester. Though, the coast would be cool too. If anyone has information on the job market in either area, it'd be much appreciated.

Keep in mind that the NH border is less than 40 minutes from Boston and that several cities with populations b/t 50,000-100,000 people are on or just south of the MA/NH border in MA.  The Boston MSA is one of the most populated in the nation with around 5 million people (over 250,000 of those folks live in NH).

As for jobs in NH, Portsmouth has the lowest unemployment and best night life per capita in the state.  It's also on the water and is a highly desirable place to live.  Most people that work in Portsmouth don't live there.  However, the city isn't very large.  You are just as likely to find a job in Manchester, as it is over 4 times as large. 

Another concern of mine is night life. While I am passionate about politics, I also like having fun. So if anyone has information on places that are good for a 25 year old bachelor, that would also be much appreciated.

Portsmouth and Manchester both have great night life opportunities.  Even Nashua, Keene and Lebanon offer quite a bit when it comes to night life opportunities.  There is always the towns north of Boston and even Boston, too.  Some of the bigger bands and events happen in western MA and even Hartford, CT which is only 65 minutes south of part of NH.

The risk I am taking moving into New Hampshire from Louisville, Kentucky is pretty big for me. I literally don't know anyone with in hundreds of miles of the state. Hence, meeting people is pretty important. Any information for new people on meeting others, etc. would be helpful.  I assume I am not alone making that move.

There are over 1000 liberty activist in NH.  Most of them are fantastic people that you would likely enjoy being around.  Most of them are also very welcoming.  The arts and music scenes are likely as big in NH as where you come from.  There are quite a few minor league sports teams in NH and major bands play at three different venues in the state.  Boston is quite close and there are organized entertainment and activism trips to Boston.  Outdoor activity is likely far better whether you are into fishing, swimming, hiking, climbing, skating, skiing, ATVs and so on.

I may be in the Louisville area in around a week.  If you want to talk about this in person and meet an actual free stater, let me know.

creaganlios

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:12:45 pm »

If nighlife is important to you, being near one of the college towns, like Portsmouth/Durham or Keene could be useful.  I live in Winchester, and can be on the West Side Highway of Manhattan (Yes, NYC) in 3 hrs and 40 minutes from my house.  I have spent many a long weekend there...and you can't get any better nightlife than that :-)

rabbit20

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:37:47 pm »

I have the same situation, but I have debt on top of it. I just got out of the IT field since I could not find a job here after I got laid of in March. I started a new career with Aflac and have been with then since July. Im starting to get back on my feet financially so hopefully I can make enough to get rid of my debt and then get my ass to NH. Do any of you work for Aflac and if so how hard is the business out in NH?
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
  --  Thomas Jefferson
http://pledgebank.com/Next1000
http://nhliberty.org
http://cafepress.com/ridleyreport
http://www.oathkeepers.org

tito887

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 02:11:09 pm »

Having not been to New Hampshire, there are many things that I don't know about the area. So, any information will help.

Oh wow. Too bad I only read about you now. I'm here in Eminence Kentucky. I"m planning on going back to florida for a time and then heading up to the free state. Call me up if there is anything I can help you with. I"ll have to come back here sometime because I pissed off a cop. You can read about it in the off topic section.

See you soon.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 11:27:24 pm »

There are a few places where you might be able to find employment.  I live in Nashua and there are some web companies on Amherst st that may be the right kind of place for you.  Manchester is the only place in NH that has a "city" kind of feel to it.  The other cities have more of a homey New England town kind of feel.

On a side note I visited Louisville Kentucky last week, and had a horrible experience due to the ineptitude of the people at the rental car agency.  Maybe I'll post my story in the off topic section, retrospectively it's hilarious.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend
Pages: [1]   Go Up