Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I enough of an Activist to join?  (Read 5588 times)

Paul Ott

Am I enough of an Activist to join?
« on: August 08, 2003, 10:22:22 pm »

Hello.

A day or two ago, I learned about the Free State Project through a person at Live-Journal (http://www.livejournal.com/community/freestate/).  I have plans of my own to begin a homestead-type living by 2007, and it could be very possible I would move to the chosen Free State, especially if it is a place with lots of open land and low land costs.

I understand and like the concept. I have already told a few acquaintances about your web site.  It intrigues them as well; some more than others.

Aside from actually registering to vote and voting (which, up until now, I have never done), I don't see myself becoming overly involved in the Free State Project after the move.  I will likely attempt to stay abreast of current happenings so I am able to make an educated vote, but beyond that, it is unlikely I should put much time, effort, or even financial support into the Free State Project.

The question is thus: Do I qualify as an Activist?

Is simply being a like-minded, voting member of the community reason enough to sign up?

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to a reply.

Sincerely,
Paul Ott
"Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."

Matt Nellans

Re:Am I enough of an Activist to join?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 10:23:40 pm »

I sure hope so.
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..

Justin

• FSP Participant
  • So... these are going to be my neighbors?!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 03:29:15 pm »

While there are many shades of activism (educating your neighbors, working on a campaign, etc.), simply being another voter in our corner, while helpful, would not count as an activist, and thus should not be counted toward the 20,000.  

Of course you can certainly register as a Friend of the FSP.
http://www.freestateproject.org/friend.htm
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Diderot

onyx_goddess

• FSP Participant
  • Choking Screams Their Liquid Dreams
    • Robestone
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 06:34:56 pm »

I was kind of like Paul until I just decided I loved freedom enough to bite the bullet.  I'm not going to run for office, etc, but I will attend rallys/protests, talk to everyone about issues, and that kind of stuff - not as crazy as a fired-up activist, but try to be supportive at my own level.  I would agree that just voting isn't enough to be a member, but I would suggest anyone that really wants to be a member should just change their mind about their level of activity taking it up just one notch to do a little instead of doing nothing...
Happiness is fleeting
When your heart is barely beating

anarchicluv

• FSP Participant
  • Semper Liber
    • Strike The Root
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 02:07:38 am »

I was kind of like Paul until I just decided I loved freedom enough to bite the bullet.  I'm not going to run for office, etc, but I will attend rallys/protests, talk to everyone about issues, and that kind of stuff - not as crazy as a fired-up activist, but try to be supportive at my own level.  I would agree that just voting isn't enough to be a member, but I would suggest anyone that really wants to be a member should just change their mind about their level of activity taking it up just one notch to do a little instead of doing nothing...

"Just" voting is plenty enough to be a member.  There are those FSP members, such as myself, that will never vote in elections.  We all have our own ways of promoting freedom in the Free State and all are welcome.
If a thousand men were not to pay their tax-bills this year, that would not be a violent and bloody measure, as it would be to pay them, and enable the State to commit violence and shed innocent blood.
~Henry David Thoreau

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 02:34:22 am »

personaly, I would be happy if you moved to the Free State and just farted in a libertarian fashion... but, the definition that Jason gives in his proposal is that an 'activist' is someone who does alot more than just voting - this person needs to recruit 60+ others to make a significant change... having 20K people move and fart, or move and just vote, would not make much of a significant difference statewide, perhaps if they all formed a small town, but then, this isn't the free town project is it?

michael

PS: please excuse my reference to flatulence, I was in the middle of reliving my childhood as I wrote that...
nothing to say...

lloydbob1

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 02:18:27 pm »

PS: please excuse my reference to flatulence, I was in the middle of reliving my childhood as I wrote that...

You stopped Farting as a child?

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 06:18:20 pm »

I stopped discussing farting as an adult
nothing to say...

lloydbob1

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 08:57:38 pm »

No you didn't!

jhfenton

• FSP Participant
  • Civilly Disobedient
    • The Long Run
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2003, 09:00:32 pm »

Clearly, he's in denial.

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2003, 09:04:04 pm »

well, I WANTED to stop discussing it, but my childishness keeps REARing its ugly head...
nothing to say...

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 03:44:04 pm »

Activism can be a very dormant activity.  Read some of the essays on what constitutes good activism, sometimes its not much.  If you write a monthly letter-to-the-editor of a local paper, donate some money to Libertarian charities and political causes, and hand out leaflets one day a year for a candidate, you're an activist, at least according to the introductory material provided by the FSP.

Here's a paragraph from the "FAQ" section of this web site:

Q. So how much activity would we have to undertake in order for the expected political implications of the FSP to hold?

A. After moving, our members will probably decide to do more than just vote. In general, to succeed in the political arena, each of us would have to do at least three of the following: supporting pro-freedom thinktanks financially, supporting pro-freedom candidates financially, writing letters to newspapers and to legislators, participating in demonstrations, volunteering your time and work to political or ideological campaigns. One estimate is that roughly a fourth of us will need to serve in local government at some point. If you are willing to move but not to do several of these tasks, it might be best for you to sign up as a friend rather than a participant since we don't want to go into our state with inflated expectations. Note, however, that the Free State Project as an organization can't enforce or encourage any of this, because this organization exists solely for organizing the move and will dissolve once it has accomplished its mission.

Now back to discussing poo.

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 03:32:44 am »

personaly, I would be happy if you moved to the Free State and just farted in a libertarian fashion... but, the definition that Jason gives in his proposal is that an 'activist' is someone who does alot more than just voting - this person needs to recruit 60+ others to make a significant change...

From what I understand, all they need is to recruit 13+ people in Wyoming in a 2-Party system.  They might only need to recruit 9+ in a 3-Party system.

To the person that started this thread:
You do not have to recruit people.  Buy joining state gun, low-tax clubs and other freedom clubs (maybe a total of $100 per year in dues), voting (even in primaries), signing petitions, and living a libertarian life (being an example), I think you would be enough of an activist to join.  You would not even need to give money, though.  Instead, you could just write a letter to the editor every couple months or something.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 03:38:39 am by FreedomRoad »
Pages: [1]   Go Up