Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Living off the grid in NH, where?  (Read 20942 times)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Living off the grid in NH, where?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 03:18:53 am »

JEM clearly meant that you can go off the grid anywhere in NH on property that you own. I guess that you can go and 'squat' on land that you don't own until you are thrown out.  If it is privately owned, that would be theft.
There are no additional property taxes for structures not attached to the ground, in NH,  but, there are property taxes on land as I'm sure there is everywhere.
I've established that there is county wide zoning in Taos .  Here is the url for the Property Tax Collector for Taos County, who collect taxes you claim don't exist.
http://www.taoscounty.org/index.aspx?NID=107

So, Who is talking out of there ass now?
Don't get smart with me.  His reply was vague, not clear at all.  I kept swear words out of my post for a reason.  You can't be off the grid if you are paying taxes to a government.
Off grid generally means not attached to utilities, your thinking of alloidal title lands. Also I think you'd be a little stunned as to how low property taxes can go in this State.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:28:31 am by John Edward Mercier »

lloydbob1

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 05:18:11 am »

That is how I have always understood 'off the grid' to mean.  However, one of our Porc friends who makes at least part of his living keeping people on the grid complained that another friend who, heats with wood and has solar electrics, but,  refrigerates with propane, is not 'off the grid', so we claim he is only 'rubbing edges' with the grid.

revsharyn

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 05:52:49 pm »

I plan to live off-the-grid in N.H. which would mean no electric or telephone wires coming across the land and no attachments to any kind of housing.  Alternative sources of power would be utilized...like a Mother Earth News back to the land deal.  I have been looking into trusts (Pure, Common or Invisible) to hold land for members or renters and all types of housing (cabins, yurts, wigwams or trailers) to be used requiring no or "workable" zoning.  This would be for a small group at the core.  I believe it is important to find areas such as you may be looking for in "unincorporated" towns to keep taxes low.  I would like to correspond with anyone interested and any ideas.  I will be in Nashua for the convention and thought there might be a way to get together and talk.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 08:42:45 am »

I predict an uphill battle. Good luck, seriously.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 10:12:59 am »

Rev I can think of at least 3 houses that are 100% 'normal' and off grid.

The other topics you mention are VERY interesting to lots of people in the FSP. 

See you in March!!

WendellBerry

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 11:05:17 am »

I plan to live off-the-grid in N.H. which would mean no electric or telephone wires coming across the land and no attachments to any kind of housing.  Alternative sources of power would be utilized...like a Mother Earth News back to the land deal.  I have been looking into trusts (Pure, Common or Invisible) to hold land for members or renters and all types of housing (cabins, yurts, wigwams or trailers) to be used requiring no or "workable" zoning.  This would be for a small group at the core.  I believe it is important to find areas such as you may be looking for in "unincorporated" towns to keep taxes low.  I would like to correspond with anyone interested and any ideas.  I will be in Nashua for the convention and thought there might be a way to get together and talk.

NH is the land trust capital of the world for trailer parks.

http://www.nhclf.org/programs/index.html

excerpt:

For 25 years, the New Hampshire Community Loan Fund and its public and private partners have pioneered a manufactured housing strategy that both preserves existing affordable (or workforce) housing and creates a bridge for working families to become homeowners.

Our oldest initiative, the Manufactured Housing Park Program, helps residents of manufactured housing parks (historically called mobile home parks or trailer parks) form cooperatives and purchase the land under their homes. Since 2003, the Community Loan Fund has also provided mortgage loans for homeowners and homebuyers in resident-owned communities, and has developed new cooperative parks.

The Community Loan Fund's innovation and expertise in converting manufactured housing parks is recognized nationally. In May 2008, we launched a separate national organization, ROC-USA, to spread our strategy across the U.S.

In addition to our manufactured housing work, our Community Housing Program helps nonprofit organizations develop rental housing. We assist individuals with Individual Development Accounts, which help low-income participants save for a home (or for a business, education or vehicle).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up