Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Living off the grid in NH, where?  (Read 20944 times)

RossDuprey

Living off the grid in NH, where?
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:57:01 pm »

I am looking for land to start from scratch.  Land where I am free to be industrious such as making my own soap, paper, and bricks from the resources on the land like clay, wood, plants, and water.  I use "google housing" to search for such land but still haven't found any. 

The only place that comes close to what I am looking for is near Taos in New Mexico, the "off the griders" there between the two peaks, and the only way I found out about them was a documentary - "Off the Grid: Life On The Mesa ".

Is there anything like that, or what I am looking for in NH?  If there is I would rather be part of the free state.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: Living off the grid in NH, where?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:04:23 am »

Hi Ross,

Former Michigander myself. There are people on these boards that talk about self-sufficiency now and again. There are a couple people I can think off-hand that do some of the things you mention.

Most of the real discussion between freestaters doesn't occur on this forum. But if you have a look through the existing discussions, I'm sure some of your questions will be answered. Of course, feel free to ask your own too. Questions from new users get answered, probably right around the 100% mark. So have a look around, and yell if you need us! :)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:14:36 am »

Pick any place in NH and you can do most of what your asking... Its largely just a matter of being industrious enough.

RossDuprey

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:15:10 am »

Pick any place in NH and you can do most of what your asking... Its largely just a matter of being industrious enough.
Sounds great, but are you just talking out of your backside?  Thank you for the reply though.

lloydbob1

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 06:16:18 am »

We have a guy here in Grafton who sort of rubs edges with the Grid.  He has a Propane fridge, but, he is looking at alternatives.
We have 'ZERO' Zoning in Grafton.  I notice that Taos has both county and city zoning.

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 08:10:43 am »

I know of a house for sale in Deerfield that has been off grid for almost 25 years. There's not a lot of land, and the taxes would probably be higher than you'd like, but it does show that it not only can be done, but has.

There is a growing group of porcupines discussing using shipping containers for housing. This could fairly easily be done as an off-grid deal.
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 09:49:34 am »

Sounds great, but are you just talking out of your backside?  Thank you for the reply though.
Any place you want. Its just some places you will need to be off-grid for economic reasons. So the size and location of your property will most likely be your main focus.

RossDuprey

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:06:51 pm »

We have a guy here in Grafton who sort of rubs edges with the Grid.  He has a Propane fridge, but, he is looking at alternatives.
We have 'ZERO' Zoning in Grafton.  I notice that Taos has both county and city zoning.
I'm not talking about the city of Taos, I'm talking about the two peaks mesa near Taos where people are building shacks that would not be allowed with zoning laws.  Some how they are getting away with it, or there are no restrictions.
I know of a house for sale in Deerfield that has been off grid for almost 25 years. There's not a lot of land, and the taxes would probably be higher than you'd like, but it does show that it not only can be done, but has.

There is a growing group of porcupines discussing using shipping containers for housing. This could fairly easily be done as an off-grid deal.
I won't pay taxes.  You can avoid property taxes if your house is not "attached" to the ground, or other words movable like a tent or a yurt.
Any place you want. Its just some places you will need to be off-grid for economic reasons. So the size and location of your property will most likely be your main focus.
Are you talking about zoning?  Because the way you are replying makes it sound as if I can just walk into the woods anywhere in the State and squat!  Like a wild man haha!  that would be ideal.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:14:04 pm by RossDuprey »

lloydbob1

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 05:27:20 am »

JEM clearly meant that you can go off the grid anywhere in NH on property that you own. I guess that you can go and 'squat' on land that you don't own until you are thrown out.  If it is privately owned, that would be theft.
There are no additional property taxes for structures not attached to the ground, in NH,  but, there are property taxes on land as I'm sure there is everywhere.
I've established that there is county wide zoning in Taos .  Here is the url for the Property Tax Collector for Taos County, who collect taxes you claim don't exist.
http://www.taoscounty.org/index.aspx?NID=107

So, Who is talking out of there ass now?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 06:39:02 am »

He didn't say he wanted free land.

As for structures unattached to the ground... you'll need to check with the municipality. I know the two sheds I had are still on my valuation card. But a cabin the size of a tent or yurt wouldn't be very high valuation (unless of course you intend to build high end on purpose).

Zoning for the agricultural type uses he listed is usually not an issue, I think what he may be worried about is the building code.
The State does have a minimum building code, but most people that build their own place would never accept the minimum.

RossDuprey

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 09:07:15 am »

JEM clearly meant that you can go off the grid anywhere in NH on property that you own. I guess that you can go and 'squat' on land that you don't own until you are thrown out.  If it is privately owned, that would be theft.
There are no additional property taxes for structures not attached to the ground, in NH,  but, there are property taxes on land as I'm sure there is everywhere.
I've established that there is county wide zoning in Taos .  Here is the url for the Property Tax Collector for Taos County, who collect taxes you claim don't exist.

Don't get smart with me.  His reply was vague, not clear at all.  I kept swear words out of my post for a reason.  You can't be off the grid if you are paying taxes to a government.

freedomroad

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 09:31:15 am »

Don't get smart with me.  His reply was vague, not clear at all.  I kept swear words out of my post for a reason.  You can't be off the grid if you are paying taxes to a government.

Don't worry about it.  That's just the way Lloyd is. 

If you don't want to pay property taxes, maybe you could live in a car?  I've spent a few dozen nights living in my car my while traveling.  I had to pay auto registration fees, but no housing or land property taxes.

Another option is to just place a rent on some land somewhere.  As long as you don't see any no camping or no trespassing signs in the area, only stay for a few days, and more as soon as told, you are almost certainly not going to get in any trouble. 

Another option is to stay on someone else's property with permission (either in some type of vehicle or a ground structure) and workout some agreement with the land property owner.  I'm not aware of other ways to live off the grid, as you describe it.

lloydbob1

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 10:11:21 am »

Then NH is not for you.  All real estate is taxed in NH as I am sure it is in every state. In NH it is at the local level. In NM or, at least Taos County it is at county level and due November 1st.  If you own land in that county, you will pay taxes.  If you squat on private land then you and the county are stealing from the owner.  If you squat on public land you risk being thrown out. If you squat on the Rez your scalp will be woven into a colorful blanket.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 11:06:05 am »

Then NH is not for you.  All real estate is taxed in NH as I am sure it is in every state. In NH it is at the local level. In NM or, at least Taos County it is at county level and due November 1st.  If you own land in that county, you will pay taxes.  If you squat on private land then you and the county are stealing from the owner.  If you squat on public land you risk being thrown out. If you squat on the Rez your scalp will be woven into a colorful blanket.

Well, there are some who live in campers and rent space from friends, but that's not necessarily "off the grid."
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

RossDuprey

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 08:21:16 pm »

Well, thank you all for the replies.  I didn't think I would find what I was looking for.  It was worth a try though.  I wish you all the best.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up