Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Things you may want to know before moving to New Hampshire, from a resident  (Read 37608 times)

live_freeze_anddie

• NH Long time Resident/Property Owner/Taxpayer

So you want to move to New Hampshire? There are a few things you might want to keep in mind.

Winter here lasts at least 6 months, or longer, depending on the location. If you’ve never experienced winter in northern New England, this alone is something worthy of your consideration.
The climate is harsh, but it is absolute beauty and perfection 2 months out of the year. We have beautiful lakes, mountains, rivers, and a bit of coastline. It’s clean and maintained for the most part, and we’d like to keep it that way.

See, this surviving winter thing has made us rather intolerant to unnecessary foolishness. Some of those in your ranks have made me feel the need to pass certain information along.

Many of us actually LIKE things like speed limits and zoning laws. I live in an agriculturally zoned area and would like to keep it that way for my standard of living and livelihood. I also live near a very sharp curve and often have to deal being the first on the scene of gruesome accidents. Large outcroppings of jagged granite are not forgiving for people who don’t care about observing traffic safety laws. I’m getting sick of it, traumatized by it, and the next time it happens, I’ll going to pretend I didn’t notice.

Many of us are proud rifleman. We grew up around hunting and we know our gun safety. This is not the wild west of New England, and we don’t take kindly to strangers who want to start problems for us by potentially jeopardizing the freedoms that WE have worked so hard and diligently to have. If you want to walk around downtown Manchester with a loaded assault rifle, you WILL get hassled by the cops. I wouldn’t want it any other way, to be brutally frank.

Freedom in NH has its price. Because we have no income tax, we are burdened financially. No, auto insurance isn’t mandatory, but just hope you don’t get injured by an uninsured motorist…you will never be compensated for damages if they own nothing.

Let me tell you a little story about the KKK and New Hampshire:
Some years ago, the KKK decided to celebrate and congratulate us for the fact that we don’t observe Martin Luther King Jr. day. They obtained their proper permits and congregated on our state capitol lawn. The citizens (not the police or legislators) ran them off by throwing rocks and bottles at them.

During the last primaries and debates I witnessed a severe lack of respect for NH citizens from some Ron Paul supporters in Concord. Jumping around like unruly, dimwitted children on someone’s lawn does not a revolutionary make.

Are you getting the picture yet? We’re armed, we’re dangerous when threatened, and it will behoove you to be respectful of our laws and our way of life. You might do well to observe us and not try to change us…well not too drastically anyway. ;)

We like it here and we WILL keep it that way. I guarantee it. Be respectful and we will do the same.

Thank you, from a concerned, hard-working citizen of New Hampshire

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.  ~Thomas Paine

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant

Thanks for dropping by to insult and threaten us.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

live_freeze_anddie

This could hardly be considered a threat. It's a plea for some common sense and respect. I offer you the same.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.  ~Thomas Paine

tito887

"Are you getting the picture yet? We’re armed, we’re dangerous when threatened, and it will behoove you to be respectful of our laws and our way of life. You might do well to observe us and not try to change us…well not too drastically anyway. 

We like it here and we WILL keep it that way. I guarantee it. Be respectful and we will do the same."

That's awesome how when you live in Nh you can literally speak on behalf of thousands and thousands of people. Thanks for letting all of us here on the forums know what everyone in NH thinks.

live_freeze_anddie

I'm sorry if you take this in the wrong way. I don't mean to inflame. I should have repeated the part about "some of those in your ranks", meaning the ones to are very seemingly radical and do make me feel threatened. Maybe you didn't see that part.
Please understand that this is my home, and many of us do feel threatened by some free staters, who have made a point to say they are coming here to change things.

MK

• AKA Markus

4 live freeze and die -

I guess that's supposed to scare people (play by our rules, or we'll throw rocks and bottles and at you or even shoot you!).  :D  Nice try and sorry to hear you like state run roads, and that you also fear competition so much that you think having the Government "protect you" (zoning) by keeping others out of your marketplace, via the use of thugs with guns, is a good thing.    I guess that would be considered a good Government education, from a pro government point of view.  Too bad so many people are brainwashed by their government "education," that they don't know what real freedom is and what a shame so many don't have a clue to what the word Tyranny really means either.   

Tell you what neighbor; how about you mind YOUR OWN business and we'll mind ours.  Fair enough?

(PS: we're going to do EVERYTHING possible TO CHANGE NH, to bring MORE Liberty and Freedom to it and if you FEAR real and more freedom (more individual responsibility and less government control), then you truly should be scared and may want to call out the National Guard to squash these people while the numbers are still low.  With or without YOUR approval, we're just getting warmed up, unofficially at least 6 FSPers are in the State House now and look for more the next time round.    All I can say is hold onto your hat brother, because this more Freedom thing is really catching on and I think it's getting ready to go through the roof! :) )
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator

Many of us actually LIKE things like speed limits and zoning laws. I live in an agriculturally zoned area and would like to keep it that way for my standard of living and livelihood.

What will you do when the zoning board changes its mind?

The citizens (not the police or legislators) ran them off by throwing rocks and bottles at them.

Correct me if I'm wrong here: it sounds you're saying that New Hampshire natives can't tolerate free speech and that you're willing to resort to mob violence?

I lived in Lansing, MI for a while. I recall the KKK came to town to protest... whatever they actually protest these days. No one showed up to watch them. No one seemed to care much either. I was pretty happy with that response.

The Free State Project itself doesn't take kindly to racial agitators. Those sorts of people are unwelcome in the Free State Project.

During the last primaries and debates I witnessed a severe lack of respect for NH citizens from some Ron Paul supporters in Concord. Jumping around like unruly, dimwitted children on someone’s lawn does not a revolutionary make.

Are you saying they were Freestaters?

Are you getting the picture yet? We’re armed, we’re dangerous when threatened...

There's a reason why the Free State Project's mascot is a porcupine. Welcome :)

mattbarney

• FSP Participant
  • Focused on freedom
    • Matt Barney's Personal Page

some of us come from similarly cold states (Wisconsin here), but more importantly.....Do you not empathize with those of us who value the origins of the NH state motto?  I suspect you fear what you don't know.  Have you read our statement of intent?  Do you understand that we just want more freedom in our lives - and many of those freedoms that NH already has (e.g. no seatbelt laws, no income tax) are baby steps in the right direction?

Why do you find us threatening?

Battlecry

• FSP Participant
  • Rabblerouser

The OP is a fed narc trying to spread dissidence!   Listen not to his lies!!!
When the Nazis came for the communists, I said nothing; I was, of course, no communist.
When they locked up the Social Democrats, I said nothing; I was, of course, no Social Democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists, I said nothing; I was, of course, no trade unionist.
When they came for me, there was no one left who could protest.
This is why we must fight for all

TEBON

I like speed limits too.  If I owned a road like Route 1A in North Hampton and Rye (you surely know that road being a resident and hardworking citizen) where it is unwise and suicidal to drive faster than 40 (in a car designed to take hairpin turns at that speed) I would most definitely want to inform people about how dangerous it is. 

I would post a sign stating that it is a hairpin turn and that the suggested speed is no more than 20-30mph in ideal conditions.  Your government has done nothing to signify the danger of the turn except for a few white stones on the side of the road. 

I would say that the way of life you expected in NH might not be.  That's life for you.  You frankly have only a right over your own actions and beliefs.  You have all the right in the world to tell anyone else how to run their lives . . .but you have no legitimate way of enforcing those beliefs and customs of yours.

You could use force.  I wouldn't suggest it.  I suppose if you don't like radicals the only thing for you to do is to hide out on your property, sit on your porch with your shotgun and shovel every few days in this 6 months of winter we have.  Of course, you could just get off your porch, safely carry your weapon over to an event and hopefully come to the understanding that even some of these evil radicals want only to live their life as THEY see fit and in peace with their neighbor. 

You don't have to like them, but you do have to respect their rights to property, life, and freedom.

John Edward Mercier

• Native

The citizens (not the police or legislators) ran them off by throwing rocks and bottles at them.
Correct me if I'm wrong here: it sounds you're saying that New Hampshire natives can't tolerate free speech and that you're willing to resort to mob violence?

I don't think that LFAD is a Native.

John Edward Mercier

• Native

some of us come from similarly cold states (Wisconsin here), but more importantly.....Do you not empathize with those of us who value the origins of the NH state motto?  I suspect you fear what you don't know.  Have you read our statement of intent?  Do you understand that we just want more freedom in our lives - and many of those freedoms that NH already has (e.g. no seatbelt laws, no income tax) are baby steps in the right direction?

Why do you find us threatening?

NH isn't that cold...

live_freeze_anddie

Many of us actually LIKE things like speed limits and zoning laws. I live in an agriculturally zoned area and would like to keep it that way for my standard of living and livelihood.

What will you do when the zoning board changes its mind?

I lived in Lansing, MI for a while. I recall the KKK came to town to protest... whatever they actually protest these days. No one showed up to watch them. No one seemed to care much either. I was pretty happy with that response.

The Free State Project itself doesn't take kindly to racial agitators. Those sorts of people are unwelcome in the Free State Project.

Are you saying they were Freestaters?

Are you getting the picture yet? We’re armed, we’re dangerous when threatened...

There's a reason why the Free State Project's mascot is a porcupine. Welcome :)

I was hoping for an intelligent, thoughtful response. Thank you, B.D. Ross.
1. The zoning laws and speed limit issue came from a quote on the freekeene site. I was hoping that this site might be a better place to learn what your group is all about. I liked the opening statements on the home page (the balanced, respectful, mature views), however i see things here that are very alarming as well.
2.You would not catch me at any KKK rally. I read about the incident in the news. However, if they were in my front yard, it would be a different story.
3. Self proclaimed from their own mouths.
4. I like prickly people that can think for themselves and also respect others in the process, so thank you.

This being said, i agree with many of the libertarian views. I'm trying to sort out the truth, in this age of lies. As far as any assumptions on my political leanings, I am a member of no party, and exercise my 1st and 2nd amendment rights as often as possible. I think all in all, i've been so turned off by the negative actions of free-staters in my home state, i will respectfully depart. I choose my battles wisely and my interests in activism lie elsewhere, in the areas of organic farming and food safety. And no, i don't like Bush or Obama, or any other liars or "freedom haters", using the term Bush so often liked to bandy about. I just don't feel the need to bring my guns in public places to show how much freedom i have, you see, because I've always had it. Many NH residents carry concealed and feel that this boisterous show may put our liberties to an end. Many of them see it as purely attention seeking and futile, on a level with PETA. No offense intended, just a different perspective to ponder, as you "take over our state". You can't really expect no opposition can you? By the way, i'm a descendant of the original revolutionaries. In fact, my paternal ancestors came here on a Mayflower voyage. Whooptedoo right? lol
Some of you might actually like me more than you think.
Take care and see you at the next revolution.

TEBON

no one's looking to take over "your" state.  Good luck with your food safety, will you be pushing for new regulations?  How about laws to make sure people use that organic shit in their gardens as opposed to good old chemical fertilizers?

yeah, real libertarian I'm sure.  You go be active using the state as a weapon against your neighbors.  If that's the way things are done in NH, then yeah, things are changing friend.

maybe you should focus on providing a valuable service and stop worrying so much about a group of people you obviously have no clue about.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator

I think all in all, i've been so turned off by the negative actions of free-staters in my home state, i will respectfully depart.

The Free State Project is really just a publicity machine: "Hey! New Hampshire is better than everywhere else in terms of various natural and civil rights. If you think like us you should move here too."

There is really very little beyond that. Almost nothing, really. The "Freestater" label doesn't really describe any specific group of people. It's not like The Freestaters get together for Monday night bingo and cake raffle. Well, maybe some do. But the Free State Project itself certainly doesn't organize, monitor, or even care that much.

If you have specific complaints about certain activities some people have done, please let me know what they are.

I choose my battles wisely and my interests in activism lie elsewhere, in the areas of organic farming and food safety.

There are many freestaters who are actively involved in at least the former interest.

I just don't feel the need to bring my guns in public places to show how much freedom i have, you see, because I've always had it.

I understand your position on the matter as I happen to share it, though I do see nothing wrong with a carrying a concealed firearm. I very likely wouldn't carry a rifle unless I was coming to or from a range. A firearm is a tool, not a toy.

Many NH residents carry concealed and feel that this boisterous show may put our liberties to an end. Many of them see it as purely attention seeking and futile, on a level with PETA. No offense intended, just a different perspective to ponder, as you "take over our state".

I appreciate your opinions. And I mean that sincerely. Many people do frequently care about how natives view the Free State Project. However, no one is trying to "take over" your state. There is a... misunderstanding... that I see in a number of newspapers and print articles. They seem to think the Free State Project has some sort of grand political end-game strategy and is some sort of coherent organization with people following a plan. Couldn't be any farther from the truth.

If some of the libertarian ideals appeal to you, you may wish to check out the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. A lot of the members are also "freestaters", and they keep a pretty watchful eye on the General Court. Check it out.

You can't really expect no opposition can you?

Of course not. The Free State Project receives criticism from all directions, often for contradictory things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up