Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visiting Next Week  (Read 2813 times)

Bill R

Visiting Next Week
« on: September 30, 2009, 01:15:55 pm »

I have made plans (bought the  tickets and booked the hotel etc) to fly into Manchester next week to engage in job interviews in Portsmouth and to do some preliminary scouting and such.

I was hoping that I could get some advice on places to check out and on gatherings I could attend. I'll be in town from Monday evening till early Friday.

I work in IT so I really am looking to either take the job in Portsmouth or to move without a job to the Manchester/Nashua area. Nashua so that it would be easier to find a tech job in Boston if I had to. But I also want to look around other parts of the state as well.

I am looking at moving in the last week of October, assuming my condo sale goes ahead as planned. If I move without a job I will be looking to live very cheaply until I find one. Most likely this will mean putting my stuff in storage till I can find a permanent location.

Anyway, I just wanted to get any thoughts and feedback that might help make this trip as worthwhile as possible.

Thanks
Bill

anon37268573

• First1000
Re: Visiting Next Week
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 04:21:58 pm »

I have made plans (bought the  tickets and booked the hotel etc) to fly into Manchester next week to engage in job interviews in Portsmouth and to do some preliminary scouting and such.

I was hoping that I could get some advice on places to check out and on gatherings I could attend. I'll be in town from Monday evening till early Friday.

I work in IT so I really am looking to either take the job in Portsmouth or to move without a job to the Manchester/Nashua area. Nashua so that it would be easier to find a tech job in Boston if I had to. But I also want to look around other parts of the state as well.

I am looking at moving in the last week of October, assuming my condo sale goes ahead as planned. If I move without a job I will be looking to live very cheaply until I find one. Most likely this will mean putting my stuff in storage till I can find a permanent location.

Anyway, I just wanted to get any thoughts and feedback that might help make this trip as worthwhile as possible.

Thanks
Bill

Salem is a much easier commute to Downtown Boston.  I'm assuming you're going to rent a car.  So, you can drive down Rt 3 from Nashua to Boston and back-up I93 to Salem to get a feel for the difference.  I believe it's 111 that runs between Salem and Nashua depending on where you decide to stay the night, if not Boston.

My personal experience, Nashua is great for most jobs on 128.  But, Salem wins hands down for working in Downtown Boston.  Nashua is a *much* nicer area than Salem.

- anon

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:46:11 pm »

Cool!  There's a Manchester social called Taproom Tuesdays that meets Tuesday evenings at Murphy's Taproom on Elm Street.  That would be a great opportunity to meet some of the Manchester folks.

There's a Seacoast-area social called Wicked ___ Wednesdays (insert whatever you want in the ___, or ignore it) that meets Wednesday evenings at La Festa Brick & Brew in Dover.  That would be a great opportunity to meet some of the Seacoast folks.

Smart plan to look around the whole state to get a feel for it.  That said, if you have a good job lead in Portsmouth, you can't go wrong there.  It's a gorgeous small city with a ton of amenities and a certain vibrant culture that you won't find elsewhere in the state.  IMO, your quality of life will be better if you live and work in Portsmouth, than if you live in Nashua/Salem/Etc. and commute to Boston.  Your salary might be higher in Boston, but it will be MA-taxed, and you'll be spending 1-2 hours of your life every day driving and/or waiting for traffic to move.

You're on the right track by asking folks.  If you take my advice and attend at least those two social events, you'll meet a whole bunch of liberty-folk and start to make connections.  This will give your activist- and social-life a big boost upon arrival.

Since you'll be here at near-peak leaf-changing season, I strongly recommend taking a drive through some of the more scenic parts of the state.  Really, most of the state is scenic.  But IMO your best bet would be to drive up Rt 16 from Portsmouth to Conway, then head west on Rt 112 (Kancamangus Highway) to Lincoln at I93.  Then head south on I93 and stop at Plymouth -- pretty little college town in the mountains with a quaint main street.  If you're tired of driving, then that concludes most of the scenic/mountain part of your trip.  But to really round it out, I suggest taking 175 South/East out of Plymouth to 25/3 South/East.  Very scenic drive, and you'll pass through the beautiful/quaint town of Meredith, and then on to Weirs Beach, where you can take a cruise on Lake Winnepesaukee or stroll down the boardwalk (not sure if the boardwalk attractions are open this time of year, but it's still scenic).

There is still a whole lot of other beauty elsewhere in NH; my trip left out the upper 1/3 of the state and entire southwest of the state.  But you probably don't want to spend your entire trip driving around, and you really want to take in the Kancamangus Highway if at all possible.

Thanks
Bill

No, thank you for moving to NH.  :)

joanb

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:54:00 pm »

Bill, if you're going to be in Portsmouth be sure to leave arrival times etc!! The Seacoast porcs will be here to welcome you for sure!  This is a beautiful part of NH.. on the coast but within driving distance to the Mtns and the lakes. Great time of year to visit as well. Please let us know when you'll be in town!!!

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 10:24:32 pm »

Yeah, dude.  There's a big ol Welcome Wagon of folks just chompin' at the bit ready to help new folks out, eh.  Ya wanna get here when it's still warm enough for us to lean out our doors an wave atcha.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Bill R

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:25:25 pm »

Thanks all for the feedback.

I am planning to check out both Tap Room Tuesdays and Wicked Wednesdays. What time do people show up to these?

IF I'm offered the job while I'm visiting, I will probably spend all Thursday in the Portsmouth area checking out various places to rent an apartment from. Otherwise I will probably spend the time checking out the scenery.

Will keep this thread updated if my plans become more specific.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 03:24:03 pm »

Thanks all for the feedback.

I am planning to check out both Tap Room Tuesdays and Wicked Wednesdays. What time do people show up to these?

IF I'm offered the job while I'm visiting, I will probably spend all Thursday in the Portsmouth area checking out various places to rent an apartment from. Otherwise I will probably spend the time checking out the scenery.

Will keep this thread updated if my plans become more specific.

Tuesday.. 6pmish
Wed  I think 7:30pm

Fr33dom

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 09:36:29 am »

Have these times for the meetings been confirmed yet?  Also, I am deaf so what is the meeting like as far as being able to hear? Do the people or speakers talk loudly? Or is there a mic system?
I'm finding that attending meetings up this way is not working out very good. I sit up front, but most people are quiet talkers... My first meeting I got to as it started, so I didn't have a chance to let anyone know of my deafness ahead of time, and missed the entire meeting.. except one man, Bob, said, "Stand up and speak from your diaphragm". haha Yup, I heard that one. At the end of the meeting, they put a video on.. Oh boy!! I could hear it!! Then, Bob came over with his remote and the volume went down, down, down, and upon my face was a frown, frown. haha
I do normally have a family member with me to be my ears, but at that meeting I had my daughter with me, and she just didn't know a thing about all that was going on (newbie), so I wasn't able to catch the details of the meeting from her.

Tuesday.. 6pmish

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 11:07:14 am »

Have these times for the meetings been confirmed yet?  Also, I am deaf so what is the meeting like as far as being able to hear? Do the people or speakers talk loudly? Or is there a mic system?
I'm finding that attending meetings up this way is not working out very good. I sit up front, but most people are quiet talkers... My first meeting I got to as it started, so I didn't have a chance to let anyone know of my deafness ahead of time, and missed the entire meeting.. except one man, Bob, said, "Stand up and speak from your diaphragm". haha Yup, I heard that one. At the end of the meeting, they put a video on.. Oh boy!! I could hear it!! Then, Bob came over with his remote and the volume went down, down, down, and upon my face was a frown, frown. haha
I do normally have a family member with me to be my ears, but at that meeting I had my daughter with me, and she just didn't know a thing about all that was going on (newbie), so I wasn't able to catch the details of the meeting from her.

Tuesday.. 6pmish

these are NOT official meetings by any stretch.
Just a bunch of people hanging out. 

There is a 'meeting' the first Saturday of every month 11am at Murphy's.

Bill R

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 01:14:41 pm »

When I show to these two gatherings, is there any new guy protocols or way to figure out who is who?

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 01:37:02 pm »

When I show to these two gatherings, is there any new guy protocols or way to figure out who is who?
Typically, if you introduce yourself to one of us as a new person then that person will tend to reintroduce you to many more of us. My guess is that you'll feel your head start to spin as you continue to meet more of us. There's no way that you'll be able remember even a quarter of our names the 1st time around. But, you'll have a great time I'm sure. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up