Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a house to rent, NOV. 2009  (Read 2621 times)

katherinehalley

Looking for a house to rent, NOV. 2009
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:43:17 pm »

Hello,

My husband and I are coming to visit to see if we would enjoy living in NH.  We enjoy hiking, scenery and good food-- right now I am thinking that the Portsmouth area looks the best (please let me know if you have any other suggestions).  We want to drive up from DC with our yellow lab and stay for about a week, starting the Monday before Thanksgiving (the 23rd).  Does anyone know of a pet-friendly house we could rent?  We were hoping to rent a nice place for no more than about $1,200.

Thanks,
:) Katie

freedomroad

Re: Looking for a house to rent, NOV. 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:16:40 pm »

You might be able to rent a nice place in Hampton Beach until just before summer for that price.  Just 10 or so minutes south of Portsmouth, considered part of the MSA, so it's in the area.

Keep in mind that Portsmouth/New Castle is just about the most expensive part of NH.  It's also the most desirable part of NH, so rent may be higher than what you are looking for.

As long as you go to Wicked Wednesdays from 7:30 - 10 p.m. at La Festa Pizza on Central St in downtown Dover, NH while you are in the area, you should be able to meet up with lots of locals and learn all about the area.

katherinehalley

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 10:05:39 pm »

Thanks for the info.  So the rent for one week of a house during the off season in Portsmouth is typically over $1200?  I am a bit surprised (but I have never been to the area).

Can anyone compare the cost of living in Portsmouth to living in Washington, D.C.?  Also, I have done some research on my own, but was wondering what how much house around $450,000 typically buys in Portsmouth-- we were hoping for 4 bedrooms and a little bit of land.  Is that about the average price for a house there?

Thanks! :)

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:42:28 pm »

I am sorry.  I thought you meant rent for a month.  I have no idea about weekly rentals.

Portsmouth is a lovely town with a lot to do.  However, by NH standards, it's quite expensive.  There are also a lot of jobs in Portsmouth.  Most of the people that work in Portsmouth live in the near by communities (because housing and taxes is typically quite a bit less).
Why Portsmouth thread, http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=17687.0  I'm pretty sure the person that started the thread lives in Portsmouth.

These help answer your new questions.
http://www.zillow.com/homes/map/portsmouth,-nh_rb/
http://www.city-data.com/city/Portsmouth-New-Hampshire.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Washington-District-of-Columbia.html

katherinehalley

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 12:26:26 am »

Thanks so much! :)

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:47:28 am »

I've checked out rentals lately in Hampton Beach area and so far have seen as low as 1$39 a week (plus 9% tax), a number just below $200 and some above $200 a week.  Also saw a condo for $550 a month (three room) with hot tub, exercise room, everything).  Also keep in mind the towns that surround Portsmouth (Newmarket, some very affordable rents), Greenland, Statum, (for houses) for example, are good choices as you are only a few miles from Portsmouth.  Not sure about other the parts of NH, but this area is VERY dog friendly.

And as Keith says, definately check out Wicked Wednesdays! in Dover, La Festa Pizza, 312 central st. at 7:30-10ish every week.
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

katherinehalley

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 01:56:13 pm »

Thanks-- I really appreciate the info!

freedomroad

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 04:44:19 pm »

I've checked out rentals lately in Hampton Beach area and so far have seen as low as 1$39 a week (plus 9% tax)...

What does that mean?  $1439?  $139?

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 07:30:12 pm »

Many of them treat these homes as a business in this state--meaning that basically declare the place to be lodging.  They have to charge you the 9% Meals and Room Tax, but they get out of any "renter's rights." For the uninitiated, renters rights are no more than renter's restrictions, since it takes many homes and residencies off the market, driving costs higher and availability down.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: [1]   Go Up