Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A reputable bank in NH? I'm looking for a mortgage.  (Read 1924 times)

Timdividual

A reputable bank in NH? I'm looking for a mortgage.
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:34:05 pm »

Thanks for taking a look,

As a first time buyer and a first timer in NH, I was wondering if anyone has any advice in regards to banks or where I should look to get a mortgage in NH.

Tim.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: A reputable bank in NH? I'm looking for a mortgage.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 02:44:55 pm »

As a first time buyer and a first timer in NH, I was wondering if anyone has any advice in regards to banks or where I should look to get a mortgage in NH.

Tim.

I would suggest:

1.  A credit union
2.  the best rate possible

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 03:59:11 pm »

I've heard really good things about:

http://www.stmarysbank.com/

I use my employer's credit union for my personal banking.  And, I have to say I think credit unions are great for personal banking.  I had the credit union staff jump through some amazing hoops for me regarding international wire transfers to the UAE that no bank ever would have been bothered to help with.  I use TD Bank (North) for my business banking and TD-Ameritrade for my broker.

When I was looking at buying a house last year, I also gave LendingTree a shot.  But, I found that my credit union offered my lower rates and fees than any of the companies that responded through LendingTree.

Before I started using TD Bank (North) and my current credit union, I was with Bank of America.  I hated them.  I still hate them with a passion.  BoA is evil and such a awful bank (bad management, bad culture, bad practices, ...just bad all around) that they would have failed if the Gov't didn't step in and bail them out!  I also used e-Trade as a bank/broker for a little while.  But, they were terrible too.

- anon

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 04:01:17 pm »

There are good local credit unions such as St. Mary's Bank, as well as localized banks like Laconia Savings.

As a Realtor, I work closely with a lender who works with a large mortgage broker, the benefit of which is access to many different loan programs including first-time buyer, FHA, USDA/Rural Housing, NH Finance Authority and others.  I recommend him for mortgages and re-fis.  PM me if you'd like his contact info or want more info on available properties in the Free State.

Have you been to www.nneren.com to search the online MLS system for NH?
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

Timdividual

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:06 am »

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I'm looking into local credit unions.

Tim

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 03:35:53 pm »

If you are looking for a mortgage, I suggest you go with the least reputable nation-wide bank you can. Sounds counterintuitive, but a "good" bank or credit union will be in a much more stable situation, so if you run into some trouble, they are much less willing to work with you. The big banks have gotten TARP money, and are willing to bargain. The big banks also sell mortgages, which makes the "show me the note" strategy possible, if you are willing to be a tad of a cad  ;)

I went with St. Mary's Bank (a credit union) for my mortgage. When I started falling behind on the payments, they said point blank "we aren't going to deal". They didn't. Some people who went with Fannie Mae and the like are still in their houses over a year after stopping payments, and some have been able to renegotiate a deal.

Of course, I'm the one who didn't hold up my end of the contract; but then when I made it I didn't know what my situation was going to be a couple of years later. I'm not sorry to lose the house, I just wish I wasn't getting ripped off so badly by the bank.
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver
Pages: [1]   Go Up