Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to NH in about 2 weeks!  (Read 2167 times)

sbiondolillo

Moving to NH in about 2 weeks!
« on: September 02, 2009, 04:42:46 pm »

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste  >:D

I will be arriving in Concord on 9/14 with my wife and 3-year-old daughter. We are simple folks looking to escape the monotony of life in suburban Dallas and find our place in a community of like-minded people. We will be in Concord for at least a week, looking around for places to live. I have a job (Thanks Kirk!) with a security company based out of Salem which has positions all over New England. I will need to end up somewhere that will allow me the most options as far as work (must be able to reach the job within 1 hour, preferably much less), has a relatively mild climate (would like to be able to ease into 5 months of snow from 5 months of lava here in TX), and will still give accessability to plenty of hiking/boating/camping/outdoors activities. We do not need to be close to a vibrant night-life and would prefer a quiet place where we can garden and be close to nature.

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated. We do not want to risk wearing out our welcome with our temporary host (thanks Tim!) and will be spending our first week driving all over the state and checking out the different spots suggested by the helpful folks who responded to this thread. Thanks again in advance! We'll see you on the 14th!

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
Re: Moving to NH in about 2 weeks!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:58:49 pm »

Welcome home!  Y'all are going to love it here.

I'd suggest the I-93 Corridor from Manchester to Salem (towns like Derry, Londoderry, Hooksett, Auburn, Hudson) or the Rte. 3 corridor from Manchester to Nashua (nice towns are Bedford, Merrimack, Litchfield, Amherst, Milford).
On the seacoast side, if you're near the I-95 corridor, you're fine.  Nice towns are Exeter, Newton, Brentwood.

As long as you stay south of the 101 freeway, you'll be an easy drive to places in Mass as well as political and social hot spots in NH, as well as avoiding the really bad winters north of the White Mountains.

After you get here, I'd be happy to run some MLS rental listings for you to get a feel for what's out there.

Mark
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:07:46 pm »

Like my signature says... be sure to join the NH Liberty Alliance now, before you move!
http://join.nhliberty.org

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:33:54 pm »

Welcome folks, Kirk was telling me about you last night at Taproom. I'm in a similar line of work as you and hope you guys have an easy transition. I used to live with Tim and he's a great guy. I look forward to meeting y'all sometime. I know the security company that you'll be employed by as I have a meeting lined up with them this week regarding detective work. A good portion of their security work seems to revolve around Mass, so you definitely need to look into the southern portion of the state for an easier commute.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 06:08:26 pm »

Mark is right that south of the 101 will give you decent access to Mass. If a commute of up to an hour is acceptable, I would suggest something off of I93 rather than Derry, Londonderry, Salem, or Windham. Those tend to have the most traffic and people congestion because they have quick access to the interstate. Sounds really convenient, but it gets very old fighting traffic congestion just to go down the road.

We stayed in Derry almost 4 years and decided to build out in the country. A once a week 90 minute one way commute  is acceptable to us in order to live in the woods in peace and quiet. You wouldn't have to go all the way to Barnstead to find it though. There are plenty of off the beaten path towns in the more southern region.

My suggestion from experience.

Cathleen

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 06:39:38 pm »

Welcome!  If you would like to share dinner with my wife and I one evening, send me a private message (we live in Concord).

Also, please don't forget to update your address when you move to NH.  You can do that yourself or you can e-mail Moved@FreeStateProject.org.

NH is a beautiful state with lots of open spaces.  You'll have no trouble finding a quiet spot.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 07:44:28 pm »

Welcome!!
I echo Cathleen's comments.

Also hopefully you and your wife have signed the statement of intent...and can both update your status soon!

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 08:30:37 am »

Welcome and good luck with the move.  You should be smiling as there are more like minded people in NH than you can shake a stick at (the majority of NH natives get the liberty thing(!).
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

sbiondolillo

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 06:42:30 pm »

Thanks a lot for all of the info guys...plenty of stuff to think about. I have signed the SOI and I think my wife still needs to do that, so pencil in one more signer and we will update our status as soon as we arrive. We are thinking about showing up a couple days early and driving around visiting all of the little towns in the southern part of the state so we will definitely take a look at the places you mentioned.
Pages: [1]   Go Up