Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for NH natives about non-Free State movers to NH  (Read 8351 times)

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: Question for NH natives about non-Free State movers to NH
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 06:39:29 pm »

Even if 2000 free-staters moved in, would it be enough to offset the statists who are moving in?

No, because they don't vote.

2000 ACTIVISTS will be great.

You might get that after 20k have moved. Only 10% of "registered" movers seem to be active. Maybe even less.

Nah. There's a big difference between being "active" and posting on the forums. Check out some other sites that fsp'ers frequent.

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 09:18:47 pm »

I will never understand why someone would move from a big-government state because they don't like the results and then proceed to make their new state like their old one.  I guess they think big-government works differently state by state.

I don't understand it either, but I have witnessed it here in FL for the past 40 years.  FL is only a decade or so behind CA and that's why I am planning my escape to NH.
Tu ne cede malis.

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 09:30:52 pm »

I will never understand why someone would move from a big-government state because they don't like the results and then proceed to make their new state like their old one.  I guess they think big-government works differently state by state.

I don't understand it either, but I have witnessed it here in FL for the past 40 years.  FL is only a decade or so behind CA and that's why I am planning my escape to NH.
Great, then it's time to switch over to 'participant'.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 11:31:27 pm »

Most that move to NH are for economic reasons. They live south of the State and can get better deals on either year-round or seasonal housing than in their home State.
They aren't really here because they love traditional NH... nor is the understanding of the majority to be correct about traditional NH.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 02:04:23 pm »

Most that move to NH are for economic reasons. They live south of the State and can get better deals on either year-round or seasonal housing than in their home State.
They aren't really here because they love traditional NH... nor is the understanding of the majority to be correct about traditional NH.

so you have talked to them all then?

creaganlios

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 09:48:59 am »

I think many newer residents have come to NH to escape the taxation, economics, and business regualtions of surrounding states.  From that perspective, many of them are allies on business & fiscal issues.  But they are also more socially liberal...which has actually been, in my opinion, a positive change, as it has moderated some of the 'power' of the social conservative stalwarts. 

In short, migration and kismet have made New Hampshire the right state at the right time for the FSP.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 03:12:11 pm »

I think many newer residents have come to NH to escape the taxation, economics, and business regualtions of surrounding states.  From that perspective, many of them are allies on business & fiscal issues.  But they are also more socially liberal...which has actually been, in my opinion, a positive change, as it has moderated some of the 'power' of the social conservative stalwarts. 

In short, migration and kismet have made New Hampshire the right state at the right time for the FSP.

The problem with the Socially liberal people is that they tend to want more social programs, which requires more taxation, and more bureaucracy.  Also they tend to be for social engineering, and employ the government to further these agendas, restricting freedom.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 03:52:43 pm »

New Hampshire is actually losing population now, not gaining it. 

Of those that are moving, The Wall Street Journal has reported that Massachusetts migrants are actually very conservative. 

Regarding the recent reaction against Bush that has caused NH to temporarily turn blue, see here.

The shift stems largely from an influx of voters drawn by the state’s booming software and defense industries. Many share what one observer calls a “Silicon Valley” sensibility — a mix of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism that currently is attracting them to the Democrats.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 03:57:00 pm »

Even if 2000 free-staters moved in, would it be enough to offset the statists who are moving in?

Very, very few states are not facing outside immigrants.  North Dakota and West Virginia are two states that are not, but most are.  The Western states are seeing movement from California.  The Southeast is seeing movement from the Northeast.  NH was seeing an influx from surrounding states, but it is now losing population.

The point is, the same challenges exist everywhere.  If the problem wasn't so huge, measures as drastic as the FSP wouldn't be necessary.  Fortunately, NH has a reputation for fiscal conservatism and draws many people who want lower taxes from the surrounding states. 
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

WendellBerry

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 07:39:30 pm »

NH has a reputation for fiscal conservatism and draws many people who want lower taxes from the surrounding states. 

Any state which predominately gets their tax revenue from property taxes and still has town meetings will have lower taxes.

creaganlios

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 08:13:54 pm »

Also they tend to be for social engineering, and employ the government to further these agendas, restricting freedom.

I'm not sure what that means...it almost sounds like code language for expanding liberty in a way that is an affront to social conservatives....which makes it a GOOD thing.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 09:15:08 am »

so you have talked to them all then?
Far too many.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 06:09:18 pm »

Also they tend to be for social engineering, and employ the government to further these agendas, restricting freedom.

I'm not sure what that means...it almost sounds like code language for expanding liberty in a way that is an affront to social conservatives....which makes it a GOOD thing.

Huh? all I'm saying is people who are socially liberal also tend to be statist.  Sure they do support a few things in common with the FSP, but it's almost always based on increasing equality and not increasing freedom.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 10:18:49 pm »

I think you have to increase equality to increase freedom.
Once someone realizes that the cage they are building is their own... they are far less likely to build the cage.

time4liberty

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 11:08:53 pm »

I think you have to increase equality to increase freedom.
Once someone realizes that the cage they are building is their own... they are far less likely to build the cage.

Who wants to build a cage? We need to tear them down :).

Freedom increases equality. It is tyranny that enriches some at the expense of others.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up