Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone from the following towns: Dover, Deerfield or Grafton.  (Read 5581 times)

Argentum

Anyone from the following towns: Dover, Deerfield or Grafton.
« on: August 22, 2009, 04:28:11 pm »

I'm planning a trip to NH this fall.  A few towns that interest me from afar are Dover, Deerfield and Grafton.  If anyone is from there, I would appreciate some first-hand information.  Anything, no matter how trivial it may seem, is welcomed.  Thanks in advance.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Anyone from the following towns: Dover, Deerfield or Grafton.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:33:16 pm »

Deerfield is a nice, bedroom town with lots of private gun ranges and only a few stores.  The town is pretty good, and there are quite a few Ron Paul supporters in town, though there are more Hillary types coming in from other parts of the northeast.

Dover is less liberty friendly than other New Hampshire towns, but it's still pretty good, and there are several porcs there at work on changing the climate there.  Dover has a lot of businesses, many beautiful young people, and is close to UNH-Durham.

Don't forget to visit the seacoast.  I just did a top down drive up Ocean Blvd, and it was gorgeous.  It's been more hot than humid, so the girls were out in numbers today--and guys, depending on what you're into.  The nightlife on the coast is awesome.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 05:36:24 pm »

Deerfield is a nice, bedroom town with lots of private gun ranges and only a few stores.  The town is pretty good, and there are quite a few Ron Paul supporters in town, though there are more Hillary types coming in from other parts of the northeast.

Dover is less liberty friendly than other New Hampshire towns, but it's still pretty good, and there are several porcs there at work on changing the climate there.  Dover has a lot of businesses, many beautiful young people, and is close to UNH-Durham.

I know plenty of good folks in Dover... I will direct them to this thread.

I think that there are just as many private gun ranges throughout NH as there are in Deerfield.

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 05:37:06 pm »

The Grafton Welcome Wagon will be hosting the second Grafton Apple Festival on September 20th again. Sunday 9/20/09 from 10am until sunset.

http://welcometotheshire.com/

Argentum

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 05:44:14 pm »

Thanks.  With a little digging on this bbs, I found several "# of reasons to move to X" type threats which were also helpful.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 05:58:30 pm »

Hi,

I spent my first 3 years in NH in Dover, and now live a little west of there in Barrington.  It's a lot more liberty oriented than people who have never lived there might think!  We instituted a spending cap before many of the other little cities in NH realized how important it is.  Actions are a lot more important than opinions in my book.

Max, please don't be talking about Dover, you in fact know nothing about it.  You live 45 minutes from here, have never been involved in anything we have done.  So please, please stop being the spokesmen for places you know nothing about. :)

BTW if your interested in learning a little more about Dover or the area, drop me an IM, I'd be happy to touch base with you when you are in town.

Dave
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 05:59:56 pm »

Hi,

I spent my first 3 years in NH in Dover, and now live a little west of there in Barrington.  It's a lot more liberty oriented than people who have never lived there might think!  We instituted a spending cap before many of the other little cities in NH realized how important it is.  Actions are a lot more important than opinions in my book.

Right on Dave... and thanks for answering on this thread.. you were who I had in mind about Dover!

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 06:44:16 pm »

Thanks Buddy! :)  I guess sometimes the hair on the back of my neck stands up when I hear folks talk about Dover, or Portsmouth, or Rochester as being anti-liberty.  I know so many of the folks over here, that aren't chatting on the computer, but knocking on doors, getting petitions sign, and campaigning for liberty folks.  Someone needs to speak for them, because they are too busy doing it.

BTW Rochester, and Dover have spending caps, and with a lot of hard work and a little luck we hope to have caps in Portsmouth, and Somersworth in the near future.  My thinking is choking the snake, cutting off the money supply, is the first step in restoring our Freedom.

Ok, next question! ;D 
Please join us!

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 07:03:59 pm »

I'm in Deerfield but am moving to Seabrook in the next day or two.

Thanks Buddy! :)  I guess sometimes the hair on the back of my neck stands up when I hear folks talk about Dover, or Portsmouth, or Rochester as being anti-liberty.  I know so many of the folks over here, that aren't chatting on the computer, but knocking on doors, getting petitions sign, and campaigning for liberty folks.  Someone needs to speak for them, because they are too busy doing it.

Yeah, out of many people at the Seacoast meeting earlier this week, you and I are the only ones that are active on this forum it seems. Like you said, they are too busy being active and otherwise have their own things going on.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 08:45:24 pm »

Dover has a spending cap (unlike, say, Seabrook).

I seriously have no idea where you get your "information."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:48:19 pm by sj »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 09:51:28 pm »

From Dover activists.  I was referring to the town of Dover, which, according to folks I know who live there, has one of the worst police departments.  The town gov't is less probusiness, and their property tax rates are a bit high.  I'm certainly not saying that Dover residents aren't proliberty.  I've visited the town dozens of times, but never lived there.  The town government, though, is not the best out here, certainly when it's compared with Grafton and Deerfield, which mostly leave people alone.

Of course, this is coming from a guy living in Seabrook, where anti-gov is just the way people see things.  Anyone out here talking about ObamaCare is viewed as a kind of outsider--not a good fit for the town, ya know.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:02:54 pm by maxxoccupancy »
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 08:51:04 am »

True a couple, (2) folks who attend our meetings have had issues with the Dover PD, but that hardly qualifies the Dover PD as one of the worst??  Where are your facts?  What do you know about the Dover city government?  Have you ever been to a council meeting or worked with any of our council folks?  I have found many of them to be working hard to promote smaller government in Dover.  In fact, the tax cap effort was lead by one of them.  High taxes, true, but the good folks of Dover have done something about it by voting for a tax cap!

Please stop misleading the folks on this forum.
Please join us!

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 06:41:03 pm »

I am curious how those three towns are the ones that interest you. They are fine towns, but what about the many, many, just as fine towns around?

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 08:42:54 pm »

or why those 3?
dover is very different from little deerfield and grafton
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

freedomroad

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 09:50:32 pm »

Dover has a spending cap (unlike, say, Seabrook).

Seabrook has the best type of government in NH, like the vast majority of the towns in NH.  The voters in Seabrook and most towns decide on what a large portion of the taxes in their town are going to be and such.  Dover is a city- which have the worst form of government in NH.  Concord, Dover, Keene, Manchester, Nashua, etc are cities.  Where as cities may have spending caps, towns like Seabrook may not.

The taxes for most folks are certainly lower in Seabrook than Dover or any of the other cities in NH, as far as I know.

A little more on topic:  I enjoy all three cities.  Dover is a great central location for the Seacoast.  There is a weekly meet-up in downtown Dover.  Deerfield is a great central location for all of southeastern NH.  Grafton is one of the freest parts of the nation and not too far from the Hanover and Concord areas.  There a frequent freedom-related events in the Grafton area. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:53:45 pm by Keith and Stuff »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up