Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Your wish list.  (Read 6729 times)

slothman

Re: Your wish list.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 08:28:37 am »

*Do away with the requirement to get town approval to modify anything on your own property. (ie: building permits, etc)
*Single charge criminal statutes. This means that if you commit one crime, they can't charge you twice with two different charges that cover the same thing.
I half agree with the first one.
Most zoning requirements should be removed but some, like having a coal smockstack
 should require a permit.
I do fully agree with the second one though.
If I was on a jury then I would vote not guilty to both murder and manslaughter.
Of course I won't be on a jury because of things like that and the fact I know about Jury Nullification.

Battlecry

• FSP Participant
  • Rabblerouser
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 07:43:58 am »

Yes, there is bloat in the public school system management area but cramming all of the students into one school is not the answer. Privatize the schools and let them compete.

(sigh)

I guess I don't explain myself well enough around here.  I'm not saying throw all 4k kids in one school.  I'm saying, end school systems.  In other words there would be 4 high schools, but they would operate independently of each other...which would open the door for privatization.

But one thing I know for a fact, moustache stays right where it's at. (Cluch The Incomparable Mr Flannery).

When the Nazis came for the communists, I said nothing; I was, of course, no communist.
When they locked up the Social Democrats, I said nothing; I was, of course, no Social Democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists, I said nothing; I was, of course, no trade unionist.
When they came for me, there was no one left who could protest.
This is why we must fight for all

Maarten

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 02:34:09 pm »

What about trying to push for a constitutional amendment that requires any tax increases above the rate of inflation to be passed with either a 2/3rds majority in the legislature or a ballot initiative (as in, either as an option to pursue, not both at the same time). That might constrain spending increases if there's laws that say the budget should be balanced, too.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 03:07:22 pm »

What about trying to push for a constitutional amendment that requires any tax increases above the rate of inflation
That's being vigorously pursued at the local/municipal level by the NH Advantage Coalition:
http://www.thenhadvantage.com/

Since the vast majority of NH taxes are local property taxes, this is the most effective route. Discussion on the latest is ongoing:
http://forum.nhliberty.org/index.php?board=55.0

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 03:12:31 pm »

What about trying to push for a constitutional amendment that requires any tax increases above the rate of inflation to be passed with either a 2/3rds majority in the legislature or a ballot initiative (as in, either as an option to pursue, not both at the same time). That might constrain spending increases if there's laws that say the budget should be balanced, too.
A super-majority is a reasonable idea.
Though after the recent large increases, macroeconomics might take care of the situation itself.

TEBON

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 04:19:32 am »

tax increases should be a unanimous decision.  Don't say it can't happen. 

madeinmotown

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 08:41:54 am »

Not full and complete, but a nice start:

Eliminate the concept of "hate crimes"; while we're at it, let's do away with affirmative action as well.
Eliminate the government interference in marriage, a societal and religious concept.
Eliminate all homeschooling regulations and public schools; let the uneducated, the morally superior, and especially those who couldn't diagram a sentence educate their own children or choose to pay someone else to do it for them.  :) 
Eliminate the "war on drugs"; I don't care what poisons you put into your body and I don't want to support your "rehab".
Eliminate all government interference into health decisions - this includes abortion.
Privatize the prison system.  I'm certain that chain gangs can successfully bid on road projects locally and become self supporting.  There's also farming.
Which brings us to the elimination of all farm subsidies.  Let the farmers grow what the market actually wants to buy.
Open carry/concealed carry - pretty simple there - if you fire your weapon outside of a self-defense situation you are responsible for the consequences.  No permits required.
If we must have a federal government, and I believe we must, at least in the transition, all government positions should be unpaid with absolutely no "bennies" short or long term.
Which brings us to money - no fiat currency.  Currency must be backed by precious metals or the like.
Did I mention money?  Oh yes, disband the IRS since there will be no income tax.  I'm sure the thugs currently employed there can find similar positions with various and sundry ethnic mobs.

Thank you to whoever started this thread, I'm so much more motivated now.  :)

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 08:46:41 am »

My entire legislative "agenda" can be summed up with one word: Repeal.

Every repeal is a step in the right direction.

Repeal entire swaths of legislation, I'm all for it.

Don't like a coal smokestack on a business near you? Buy the business out yourself. Or prosecute for air pollution straying over into your property along with everyone else who doesn't want it.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 09:39:59 am »

Fiat currency?
Fiat means 'by decree'... so by 'decreeing' that currency is backed by precious metals, you have now created a fiat currency.

The only non-fiat currency would be one openly acceptable to the various parties within the trade.

madeinmotown

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 10:07:48 am »

Fiat currency?
Fiat means 'by decree'... so by 'decreeing' that currency is backed by precious metals, you have now created a fiat currency.

The only non-fiat currency would be one openly acceptable to the various parties within the trade.

I have no problem whatsoever with those within individual trades using whatever they decided was fair amongst themselves, I engage in this regularly.  However, since there will have to be a transition for many of these really big shifts, do you think the average person in say.....Detroit, with it's 25% high school graduation rate, would have an easier time caring about monetary policy if the coin of the realm was backed by something real which they could either choose to use in trade, or trade something altogether different as opposed to the current backing:  "backed by the full faith and credit of hope and change"?  I'm looking for not just what I want but what might be marketable to the majority of the population for whom these changes seem fantastical.     

m.sanstail

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 02:28:41 pm »

Thank you to whoever started this thread, I'm so much more motivated now.  :)

You're welcome. The reason I started this list is because legislation season is coming up. I thought about taking the top 1 or 2 ideas that were suggested and maybe trying to get a bill introduced about them.

Maarten

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 02:39:05 pm »

I think if we put in place balanced budget caps both on the local and state level, combined with an amendment that requires ballot approval of tax increases (or a super majority of 2/3rds, either would work) we would cut off a lot of wasteful government spending at the root. Money is what makes all government programs possible, ultimately, and if we cut off the flow of funding (or at least make it much harder to increase it), it will inevitably shrink government (or at least stall its growth while we work on spreading liberty).

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 11:45:25 pm »

1. Change all tax funded schools back into tuition funded schools.
2. End drug prohibition.
3. Return all surface roads to local towns, therby allowing the State to do away with toll booths.
4. Make judges elected.
5. Effectively lower the drinking age to 18, and allow bars to serve alcohol at any time.
6. Outlaw Euclidean Zoning.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

TEBON

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 04:57:00 am »

lower the drinking age to 0.  I know I used to enjoy drinking at age 0.

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 07:30:23 am »

6. Outlaw Euclidean Zoning.

How about Euclidean II Zoning?
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up