Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Things ALL the States Have in Common  (Read 8369 times)

Eddie Willers

• FSP Participant
  • "Neo" Objectivist
50 Things ALL the States Have in Common
« on: May 25, 2003, 05:16:18 pm »

The purpose of this post is to dispel some misconceptions, or inferences about the two front-running states. However, the observations here also apply to ALL the states under consideration for the Free State Project.

I would like to say up front, that my family will be moving to the selected state, no matter which is selected. I certainly have my preferences, but we?re going!

I worry that some of the people may reject certain places out of hand - especially places they have not visited. Most particularly, places on the opposite coast from where they live.

The two leaders, currently, are Wyoming and New Hampshire. I have been to both states, and they both have:

1) Reliable Electricity   -- Don?t laugh, think about it!
2) Reliable Telephone Service
3) Internet Service providers
4) Satellite Television (200+ channels)
5) Water
6) Decent roads
7) Fast Food (local or national)
8) Grocery Stores
9) Hardware Stores
10) Walmarts
11) Target, Sears, Ace, etc. etc.
12) Quaint towns with long histories
13) Medium-sized cities with long histories (pop 50,000)
14) Fabulous recreation areas
15) Beautiful Fall Foliage
16) Snow in the Winter
17) Churches of All types
18) Home builders
19) Manufactured Housing dealers
20) Car dealers & repair
21) Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Systems
22) Buildings more than 3 stories tall
23) Tourist Attractions
24) Nearby Metropolitan Areas
25) Modern Medical Facilities
26) Colleges
27) RV Parks
28) Apartments
29) Republic form of government.
30) Sunshine (even Alaska, Jason!)
31) County Fairs, festivals, and parades
32) Kids to befriend your children
33) Taverns and bars
34) Mail Boxes Etc. (mail forwarding services)
35) Gas Stations
36) UPS, FedEx, and Airborne Express - even in VERY remote areas.
37) English as an official language
38) UHaul & Ryder Rentals
39) Regional symphony orchestras
40) Military bases (for veterans)
41) Newspapers, bookstores, and music stores
42) Computer stores
43) Public Television and NPR
44) Starbucks
45) Cell phones
46) Airports
47) Truck Stops
48) Radio Shack
49) Firewood
50) Other Porcupines

So, is your lifestyle really going to be diminished?

The point? Don?t opt-out of a state because you think it?s a ?back water?. I?ve lived in a couple of back waters. I live in one right now. I have internet service, electricity, phone, etc. And it?s considerably cheaper than living in a big metropolitan area.

For everybody on the East Coast - check out Wyoming?s information. Some of those town centers look like a guidebook for New Hampshire!

Westerners? Check out New Hampshire?s smaller towns and cities. Lots of room. You can get used to looking at the news at 11PM instead of 8, I guarantee it. You?ll be hard pressed to differentiate between LA & NYC, though.

You?ll still get Leno & ER; phone calls from Aunt Mildred; 140 Spams a day; and tax forms at the Post Office.

Your kids will have Little League, YMCA, dance and music classes, and public schools (if that?s what you want).

If  you?re in high -tech, or a broker, you might be able to telecommute (I do). If you?re a doctor, you?ll be greeted with open arms. If you?re a lawyer, well, I dunno.

You might have to get a different kind of work - but you?re flexible, right? Adapt!

So porcupines, don?t relegate a far off state to ?back water? status - they actually have more in common than we have with most of the rest of the world.

'nuff said.

Eddie
Take care of the means and the End will take care of itself.

freedomroad

Re:50 Things ALL the States Have in Common
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 06:10:13 pm »

40) Military bases (for veterans)So porcupines, don?t relegate a far off state to ?back water? status - they actually have more in common than we have with most of the rest of the world.

'nuff said.

Eddie

Very good post.  Although I don't think all 50 states have military bases.  Although, Maine has a nice airforce base, from what I hear.  Does VT have a military base?  

I did not even know that NH has a military base.  I did some research, though, and it has two.  Both a Navy and Air Force base.  They are both within a dozen miles of each other in the southeastern corner of NH, near it's small coast line.  The Navy base seems to use a Maine port.  They are very easy to reach to the majority of the people of NH.  No more than 1 1/2 hours from any of the populated areas.  However, the are a far drive from rural, nothern NH.  Also, Canada, and VT do not have any military bases, so those are not options for people in northern NH, either.  Maine has a couple of bases but the are on the coast and that is hours from north NH.

Even though northern NH might be isolated from military bases, it is not as far from a base as parts of all of the western states.  Because of their vast sizes, the western states have cities that are hours from bases.  ID seems to be the worst of all 10 states.  AK is best of all 10 states, if all you look at is amount of military bases.  Although, it is also the state with population center the farthest from any base.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 03:01:00 am by FreedomRoad »

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 06:55:44 pm »

The two leaders, currently, are Wyoming and New Hampshire.

Just want to point out to everyone that this is Eddie's opinion only.  We have no idea which states are "leaders" -- only which states some people (a tiny percentage of the membership) seem to prefer on this forum.

Lots of lurkers out there, don't want them to be misled by something stated as fact which isn't any such thing.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 06:56:28 pm by Elizabeth »

Eddie Willers

• FSP Participant
  • "Neo" Objectivist
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 10:52:33 pm »

I stand corrected, Elizabeth. I am reacting to the traffic on these forums.

Regarding the military bases, I include even relatively small installations that include a base commisary and or exchange. Even the Navy Yard in 'DC has an Exchange.

Also, it appears that Vermont does not have a military base. However, within a few hours of driving you have one in CT and one in RI. So take it off the list! :-)

My point was to show that none of states is the technological or cultural equivalent of moving to Madagascar or Borneo.

'nuff said.

Eddie
Take care of the means and the End will take care of itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything