Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hampshire Is Too Cold - Manchester versus Fairfax, VA  (Read 14753 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: New Hampshire Is Too Cold - Manchester versus Fairfax, VA
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 01:12:23 am »

Well done, although I think it is the average low temperature, not the average high temperature, that makes people balk!

You might be right.  However, people are usually inside at 4 a.m.

Average January lows in Seabrook are about 5-10 degrees warmer than Manchester, and we get less snow on average.  Summers are a hair cooler, but also less humid.  With less snowfall and more regular amounts of wind and weather, Seabrook offers a relatively mild climate.  Seabrook's weather ought to be thought of as comparable to Boston (rather than northern New Hampsha), which is not really that bad.

Point being that there's really a small difference in winter temps between the seacoast and southerly parts of the Northeast.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Robert Browne

• Photography by Robert Browne
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 07:21:46 pm »

I  made this comparison once for my wife between Philadelphia, PA (where we live) and Keene, NH and found the average daily temperature was six degrees colder there.  When she tries to use the "Too Cold" argument I always reply with two words: Six degrees!

the pooch lady

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 08:22:14 pm »

Hi from NW Philadelphia ;D

Robert Browne

• Photography by Robert Browne
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 05:57:32 am »

And a Yo! from Fishtown to you Pooch lady.

TEBON

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 11:46:25 am »

Well done, although I think it is the average low temperature, not the average high temperature, that makes people balk!

You might be right.  However, people are usually inside at 4 a.m.

Average January lows in Seabrook are about 5-10 degrees warmer than Manchester, and we get less snow on average.  Summers are a hair cooler, but also less humid.  With less snowfall and more regular amounts of wind and weather, Seabrook offers a relatively mild climate.  Seabrook's weather ought to be thought of as comparable to Boston (rather than northern New Hampsha), which is not really that bad.

Point being that there's really a small difference in winter temps between the seacoast and southerly parts of the Northeast.

tell them about Ocean Effect snow please.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 01:27:22 pm »

tell them about Ocean Effect snow please.

Yeah.  Personally, having grown up right on the coast, I'm much happier with the colder weather, a few miles away.  Dry powder shovels so much easier than that sticky mess I dealt with for years.

A few degrees of temperature difference is minimal, when going down (just toss on an extra layer).  When those few degrees are heading up towards freezing, the snow gets sticky and wet, and there's nothing you can do about it...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

TEBON

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 10:44:43 pm »

lol and drifts over your front door.

Vexer

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 01:45:28 am »

I'm not from New Hampshire. I'm from a warm climate, but have visited, lived in,  New Hampshire  many times.

I realize this if off-topic,  but I thought you may be interested to know how amazingly well NH deals with winter snows.

In other countries, (recently England), large snow falls cause problems. Blocked roads and rails, congestion, people don't get to work.

In New Hampshire,  this doesn't happen. They  know what they're doing.

I wake up in the morning, and see two feet of snow fall. "Well that looks bad", I think.

I shower, have coffee, watch "the weather channel", and go out to dig out my car.

(oh, yes, when it snows. you have to dig out your car....)

But, here's the thing, by the time you're ready to go - so are the roads. By the time I'm driving to work, I can.
They've been plowed.

Snow ploughs go all day. They're always one step ahead. (Usually).

MichaelWDean

• Friend of the FSP
  • LIBERTY LOVER IN WYOMING
    • "Guns and Weed: The Road to Freedom"
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 05:07:02 am »

You got cold and freedom.
We got cold and wind and freedom.

Bumper sticker I saw the other day summed it up well:
"WYOMING WIND FESTIVAL! ANNUALLY FROM JAN 1 TO DEC 31!"
Freedom Feens Podcast http://www.freedomfeens.com/

Wootberries

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 11:01:34 am »

...and go out to dig out my car.
(oh, yes, when it snows. you have to dig out your car....)

Oh good grief. I haven't seen that much snow since that blizzard in '93. Everything since has been hella wimpy down here in Georgia.

Just how many inches (feet?!) are we talking about here?
-Ashley

"Give me liberty. I do not feel that you should have a second option here." -Asofterworld.com

"This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." -V

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 11:21:56 am »

Oh good grief. I haven't seen that much snow since that blizzard in '93. Everything since has been hella wimpy down here in Georgia.

Just how many inches (feet?!) are we talking about here?

It is not uncommon to have a 12" snowfall in NH, +/- a few inches.  In fact it was quite common over the last two winters.  If you have a car that's not in a garage, that means you're going to be "digging out your car" to some degree or another.  I'd guess this happened around half a dozen times last winter.

Wootberries

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 11:25:11 am »

It is not uncommon to have a 12" snowfall in NH, +/- a few inches.  In fact it was quite common over the last two winters.  If you have a car that's not in a garage, that means you're going to be "digging out your car" to some degree or another.  I'd guess this happened around half a dozen times last winter.

Hm. Ok. I guess that's not entirely unreasonable. :P Thanks for the reply. :)
-Ashley

"Give me liberty. I do not feel that you should have a second option here." -Asofterworld.com

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 11:38:00 am »

Learn to love to snow shovel. Snow shoveling was one of my chores growing up and I found it was great excercise if you lift with your knees not your back.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 11:44:40 am »

Also. Do not "leave the shoveling until tomorrow." There could be another 12" fall overnight or there could be a thaw and freeze cycle. Then you have the harder task of chipping ice.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

Wootberries

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 12:02:37 pm »

Also. Do not "leave the shoveling until tomorrow." There could be another 12" fall overnight or there could be a thaw and freeze cycle. Then you have the harder task of chipping ice.

Learn to love to snow shovel. Snow shoveling was one of my chores growing up and I found it was great excercise if you lift with your knees not your back.

Thanks so much, guys, for your advice. :)
-Ashley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up