Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hampshire Is Too Cold - Manchester versus Fairfax, VA  (Read 13775 times)

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
New Hampshire Is Too Cold - Manchester versus Fairfax, VA
« on: July 16, 2009, 03:21:41 pm »

You'd trade being surrounded by liberty-loving activists for an average of about 10 degrees?

freedomroad

Re: New Hampshire Is Too Cold - Manchester versus Fairfax, VA
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:47:15 pm »

According to your data
VA 789 65.75
NH 695 57.91
7.84 degrees F difference

The way I'd count it is the difference counts against NH is the coldest months and against VA in the warmest months so it would be like this:
Coldest 7 months
VA 54.14
NH 46.14
8 degrees F difference

Warmest 5 months
VA 82
NH 75.8
6.2 degrees F difference

NH is 8 degrees colder around the winter
VA is 6.2 degrees warmer around the summer
1.8 degrees F difference away from the each other when both are compared to year-round moderate year round weather = 1.8 degrees F in VA's favor

If you look at the charts, you will notice that Portsmouth/Hampton/Seabrook has more mild winters and summers than Manchester.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:46:16 pm »

Awesome post!
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:00:40 pm »

From what I understand of Virginia is that the coast is where it is noticably warmer and the further west you go the cooler it is because of the Virginian mountains. Very nice graph, Kevin. Thanks for posting this.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:12:43 pm »

1.8 degrees F difference away from the each other when both are compared to year-round moderate year round weather = 1.8 degrees F in VA's favor

That's only 1 degree difference... if you're using Celsius ;)

xAlpha

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free State Project IT Liaison
    • Rifle Fire
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:06:09 am »

Give me liberty or give me warmth!

No wait that isn't how that goes....

slothman

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:11:37 pm »

I personally like the cold.
You get to turn the heat up and have hot chocolat and get under a blanket.
Plus you get to shovel cars and driveways, which at least I like.

Wouldn't going to VA defeat the purpose of this site?

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 12:48:04 pm »

I personally like the cold.
You get to turn the heat up and have hot chocolat and get under a blanket.
Plus you get to shovel cars and driveways, which at least I like.

Wouldn't going to VA defeat the purpose of this site?

Sounds like you would love NH then. I'm a winter-lover myself. Love the snow and the cold.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 12:58:10 pm »

Yep, I'm a cold fella as well. Can't really stand anything over 80 degrees. So, NH is what I love.

donniedark0

• FSP Participant
    • pixel artist studios
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 04:14:54 pm »

I've visited both VA and NH in the cooler and warmer times of the year.

I'm from the deep south so I'm no stranger to murderously hot weather for a better part of the summer months (Real feel temps peaked at 114 so far this year), and the VA coastal areas have plenty days even in spring that can get almost as inhospitable as the south.   What fascinated me about visiting NH in the summer time was seeing people outside, not having to rush into a pool to avoid heat stroke, but gardening in the midday sun - in jeans no less.

As for the cold, the difference is negligible after you reach a certain temp, just dress appropriately.
It's an outright lie that the Federal Government cannot do anything right.  They put on one hell of a puppet show.

TANSTAAFL76

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 06:14:14 pm »

Well done, although I think it is the average low temperature, not the average high temperature, that makes people balk!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

freedomroad

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 07:44:23 pm »

Well done, although I think it is the average low temperature, not the average high temperature, that makes people balk!

You might be right.  However, people are usually inside at 4 a.m.

donniedark0

• FSP Participant
    • pixel artist studios
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 09:11:41 am »

I get this alot, "You must really love the snow.", as if that's the only logical conclusion to be made from moving elsewhere(although in my case that statement is somewhat applicable).  I try to imagine what people down here imagine of NH, snowing year-round, the locals dodging polar bears on their daily snowmobile-bound commute to their ice-hole, and battling eskimos for furs and whale blubber.

My observation on heat was more subjective, in that the drawn-out summer months in the south you'll hardly see a person outside for any extended period of time.  Sure the same could be said for NH winters, but it seems alot more palatable to come in from outdoors and warm up instead of being drenched head to toe in sweat.
It's an outright lie that the Federal Government cannot do anything right.  They put on one hell of a puppet show.

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:31 am »

Actually, on my ipod I have Nashua's daily temp as well as TN and I compare them daily.  There isn't really that much difference and if I try to forget about the snow, I am really not worried about the weather at all.
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard

xAlpha

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free State Project IT Liaison
    • Rifle Fire
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 01:28:48 pm »

I get this alot, "You must really love the snow.", as if that's the only logical conclusion to be made from moving elsewhere(although in my case that statement is somewhat applicable).  I try to imagine what people down here imagine of NH, snowing year-round, the locals dodging polar bears on their daily snowmobile-bound commute to their ice-hole, and battling eskimos for furs and whale blubber.

My observation on heat was more subjective, in that the drawn-out summer months in the south you'll hardly see a person outside for any extended period of time.  Sure the same could be said for NH winters, but it seems alot more palatable to come in from outdoors and warm up instead of being drenched head to toe in sweat.

When I tell people I'm from CA wrt snow, they say "Oh you must hate not being able to go outside!"

Well, no, I'm used to that. Somehow they forget that, even though it's a dry heat, 105F is still too fucking hot to leave your air conditioned place.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

anything