Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH Legislature cuts SW Property Tax 30%, rejects "No Child Left Behind"  (Read 4751 times)

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria

Seems yesterday was a productive day for the NH legislature.

The House passed a bill which would prevent the state from participating or financing No Child Left Behind.

The Senate passed a bill cutting the statewide property tax rate by a
dollar a year for two years, and passed a bill to make forming Charter
Schools easier.

The New Hampshire legislature has therefore voted a 30% cut in the state-wide Property tax, made starting charter schools easier, AND rejected W's "No Child Left Behind" act ALL in one day!

I will get bill #'s and text as soon as they are available.

Sounds like a great state to start in!  :)

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

StevenN

• Friend of the FSP

One of the biggest problems some have with NH is the property tax. But everywhere I look, it seems that NH is always making plans to cut it - and acting on it!
I was reading in the paper today about how, in my state, the budget/tax-cut process is "difficult". A republican state senator was talking about making cuts, while a democrat was trying to explain to her how "necessary" it is to help the "less fortunate" with a program that pays for nurses to teach single-moms how to feed. I think it speaks volumes that all these cuts are being made in NH, in the presence of state budget crunches, without hardly any opposition.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 12:57:50 pm by StevenN »
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man" -- Jebediah Springfield

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant

Add to that the fact that many of the Republican lawmakers who are working to end or curtail the state-wide property tax are saying really good things about the FSP, and you get an idea of where this state is heading.... The WBZ special said that the FSP is "Trickling toward the mainstream of New Hampshire politics... The Free State Project is broadening it's support and gaining speed". And this from a Boston station!

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

robmayn

• Freedom Rising!
    • Citizens For Property Rights

Add to that the fact that many of the Republican lawmakers who are working to end or curtail the state-wide property tax are saying really good things about the FSP, and you get an idea of where this state is heading.... The WBZ special said that the FSP is "Trickling toward the mainstream of New Hampshire politics... The Free State Project is broadening it's support and gaining speed". And this from a Boston station!
Its enough to make this Vermonter jealous.  Then again, we Vermont libertarians have always been jealous of our NH siblins.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FOLKS!!!!

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant

Vermont is a beautiful state, Rob. I went to Bennington College for a summer after high school, and lived for a year in Brattleboro.
Of course, you folks have one less gun law than we do, so that's a good thing, too. :o)
Hafta tell you tho.... It was the sales and income tax that drove me back... If I live in an apartment, why should I hafta list farm income on my state income tax? ;D
Take care... Hope to see you at the Escape (http://www.lpnh.org/escape.htm) ....

JM

Zxcv

Just a sour note.  ;)

and passed a bill to make forming Charter
Schools easier.
Somehow, the prospect of extending the reach and lifetime of government-controlled schooling does not make me jump for joy. I know our so-called "libertarian" think tanks have jumped on the charter and even voucher  ::)  bandwagon, but that does not make them examples of freedom, nor even steps in the right direction.

But the rest of what you report is certainly a good deal.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up