Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keene, NH named to "America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations"  (Read 3396 times)

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria

"Keene represents a truly distinctive slice of America"

The National Trust for Historic Preservation has named Keene to its list of "America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations" due to the city's well-managed growth, commitment to historic preservation, attractive architecture, cultural diversity, activities for families with children, economic base of locally-owned small businesses, and walkability for residents and visitors.

The National Trust calls Keene a "Currier & Ives landscape come to life, where pristine local landmarks, Revolutionary War reenactments and bucolic rolling hills provide a perfect spot for family fun". In a press release dated April 29, 2003, the National Trust, www.nationaltrust.org, states, "Although its population is small, Keene, N.H. (population 22,563) is a giant when it comes to history...

http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/community/index.htm

And this is where I live! ;)

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

JT

• FSP Participant
  • How can someone else know what's best for you???
Re:Keene, NH named to "America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 10:53:09 pm »

There was a guy from Georgia on Hannity & Colmes the other night who wasn't allowed to put a rounded staircase on the outside of his house (even though his neighbor had essentially the same thing), so he painted his house lime green with pink polka dots.  

Kinda off-topic, I know, but this madness has to stop...

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 10:26:55 am »

Well, there are very few buildings which are subject to historic preservation laws, most people can build no problem.
BUT what this does say is that we have a might purty town here... The movie Jumanji was largely filmed in Keene... Check out that movie sometime...
Henry David Thoreau spent some of his childhood here, and there are still Revoluntionary War cannons pointing down Main St. ;D

JM

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 03:14:44 am »

"Keene represents a truly distinctive slice of America"

The National Trust for Historic Preservation

This is a pretty nasty group.  They are anti-libertarian to say the least.

has named Keene to its list of "America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations" due to the city's well-managed growth, commitment to historic preservation,

They try to make this sound good, but it usually means lots of restrictions.  Restrictions tend to increase and property owners tend to lose control.  For extreme examples of managed growth, look at Burlington, VT and Boulder, CO.  It is not even worth building a house in the cities.  Driving 15-20 min from a home elsewhere is much easier than actually building a home in either of the cities.

I still have not had the pleasure of visiting Keene, though, so I do not know how regulated your lovely town is.
attractive architecture, cultural diversity, activities for families with children, economic base of locally-owned small businesses, and walkability for residents and visitors.

The National Trust calls Keene a "Currier & Ives landscape come to life, where pristine local landmarks, Revolutionary War reenactments and bucolic rolling hills provide a perfect spot for family fun". In a press release dated April 29, 2003, the National Trust, www.nationaltrust.org, states, "Although its population is small, Keene, N.H. (population 22,563) is a giant when it comes to history...

http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/community/index.htm

And this is where I live! ;)

JM

I am glad you are proud of where you live.  From what I have heard about NH, you should be proud of it.

Justin

• FSP Participant
  • So... these are going to be my neighbors?!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 10:32:47 am »

Well, there are very few buildings which are subject to historic preservation laws, most people can build no problem.

And that is precisely what opponents of liberty are banking on... "most people" won't be affected... for now....
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Diderot

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 07:43:28 pm »

I can tell you that I have help start a main street business here, and know many people who have done major construction. There hasn't been any major issues, though no place is perfect.
Again, if any of you haven't been to NH, and want to see what it's like live, just go (best during daylight hours) to http://www.freestatenhlive.com .

JM

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 07:59:01 pm »

I will not live anyplace where there is even a remote chance that I will be subjected to the force of other's opinions when it comes to doing anything I want to with my property.

Keene may be beautiful, but if the National Associaton of House Nazis is active there, I won't live within city limits.

Sorry, I'm not into perfect strangers, or even my neighbors, telling me what I can and can't do with my castle.

I might visit though :)
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 10:24:20 am »

Cheshire county (where Keene is) is far and away the most liberal and regulated of all 10 counties.
Of course, most regulations here are at the local level, so we have competition amongst the different areas...
Advantages and disadvantages everywhere.... If NH were chosen, we won't have to work on ending a general sales tax, income tax, or much in the way of gun laws, so people can go right to work on zoning regs... :oD

JM

Pages: [1]   Go Up