Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for semi-rural parts of the state.  (Read 3627 times)

Argentum

Looking for semi-rural parts of the state.
« on: July 04, 2009, 05:25:04 pm »

I am planning a trip to NH later in the Summer.  I have limited time so I would like to make my trip as efficient as possible.  As a side note , I've been to Manchester several years ago.  I got there via Portland, ME.  I don't think I could live there.  I was looking more for a semi-rural part of the state where I could buy a few acres that could possible be farmed.  Are there any towns in the following areas that fit the bill:  Western Lakes, Monadnock or Dartmouth.  Just some additional info. about me.  I am a lifelong suburbanite from NJ.  I hate cities although Manchester was much nicer than any NJ city I've ever been to in NJ.  I'm culturally moderate but I can probably fit in better with culturally conservative type people rather than greenish lefty types.  I realize my criteria is pretty annoying.  But any advice would be greatly appreciates.  Thanks.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: Looking for semi-rural parts of the state.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 05:39:58 pm »

I am planning a trip to NH later in the Summer.  I have limited time so I would like to make my trip as efficient as possible.  As a side note , I've been to Manchester several years ago.  I got there via Portland, ME.  I don't think I could live there.  I was looking more for a semi-rural part of the state where I could buy a few acres that could possible be farmed.  Are there any towns in the following areas that fit the bill:  Western Lakes, Monadnock or Dartmouth.  Just some additional info. about me.  I am a lifelong suburbanite from NJ.  I hate cities although Manchester was much nicer than any NJ city I've ever been to in NJ.  I'm culturally moderate but I can probably fit in better with culturally conservative type people rather than greenish lefty types.  I realize my criteria is pretty annoying.  But any advice would be greatly appreciates.  Thanks.

Welcome!

The Dartmouth area is expensive and filled with greeny-lefty types, though it is absolutely gorgeous.  Grafton, NH has land for pretty cheap and is about an hour from Concord.  Andover is close to Concord and is middle of the road as far as price goes...it leans conservative, I think.  Most of the state is rural.  It really comes down to how much you want to pay which is directly proportional to how close you are to the cities.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Argentum

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 05:54:32 pm »

Thanks.  I know it's difficult but could you give me a ballpark on prices in the areas you mentioned?  An hour away from the city isn't a problem for me.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 06:09:58 pm »

Thanks.  I know it's difficult but could you give me a ballpark on prices in the areas you mentioned?  An hour away from the city isn't a problem for me.

If you want cheap and rural, Berlin is out in the sticks a bit and houses are quite cheap there due to business closures there.  A lot of houses for under 100k there.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 06:33:19 pm »

If you want cheap and rural, Berlin is out in the sticks a bit and houses are quite cheap there due to business closures there.  A lot of houses for under 100k there.

I saw some for $20K.

that is 'far out there'.

do you want just land.. or land and a house?

Argentum

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 06:50:01 pm »

Berlin is too far up.  I'm leaning towards land only with the thought of building in the near future.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 06:59:21 pm by Argentum »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 07:09:59 pm »

Realtor.com is a good resource for getting a feel for land/house prices.  To be honest, I don't have a very good handle on prices because I haven't seriously started looking for a place for myself.  I too want a good chunk of land in an area with reasonable taxes. 
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

time4liberty

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 11:33:47 pm »

try zillow.com too :)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 06:12:27 am »

everywhere is rural .... for prices .... i went ahead and invented the internet for you
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

lloydbob1

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 06:57:03 am »

Presently the Arson capital of NH, Berlin's only prospect is the future fed prison which will attract, you know, feds.

jcoffey

• First 1000
    • Jenn Coffey
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 08:09:15 am »

Andover is a great town, only 30mins from Concord, 20mins. from Loudon and about 45mins. from Manchester and it is boast a population of about 2,000.  The property tax is less than most other towns and the rentals are very inexpensive.  As, a bonus I can shoot in my backyard and see incredible starry nights. I moved here so I could be close enough to the cities to do what I need to do and far enough away to not have it in my backyard.  Contact me if you want more information off forum  ravenest (at) gmail (dot) com .
well I had to start over with a new login...LOL

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 09:21:30 am »

There are working farms within the city limits of Concord.

You can go a few miles outside even Manchester, and find rural areas.

Lots of rural land in NH.  Prices are better, the further you get from the cities.  Of course, cost of living goes up a bit, since you need to travel further to buy food, etc.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Argentum

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 11:30:32 am »

What are the best and worst property tax rates in the state?  Without a sales or income tax, I would assume that municipal services are paid for by the property tax, which I understand is pretty hefty.  Is there a lot of red tape when it comes to new building or renovation?

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 11:33:31 am »

I believe the worst is Keene and Berlin, and the best is Lincoln. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard this was correct.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 01:16:42 pm »

What are the best and worst property tax rates in the state?  Without a sales or income tax, I would assume that municipal services are paid for by the property tax, which I understand is pretty hefty.

The rate varies dramatically from town to town.  That's one factor.  Property valuations are the other.  In other words, a town might have a low rate, but value your property at $500k, whereas another town might have a high rate, but value an identical property at $300k, yielding lower actual tax payments.  Best bet is to look at the real estate listings, which should include the actual tax for that property, so you can get a better comparison.

On a related note, the presence of an active liberty community that is fighting to keep taxes low (or lower them further) can be a big plus in not only having a low rate, now, but keeping that rate low for years to come.

Is there a lot of red tape when it comes to new building or renovation?

Compared to most other states?  No.  Some towns have more-restrictive codes.  The minimum set by the State is pretty low, so unless a town has their own codes, there's not much to worry about.  Generally, cities are going to have the most restrictive codes.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything