Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Promoting the FSP at Rest Areas  (Read 11848 times)

freedomroad

Promoting the FSP at Rest Areas
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:01:54 am »

Hey!

Everyone has seen them.  Drive on an interstate for forty or so minutes in any direction and you are likely to see an interstate rest area.  They may be called different things in different parts of the country but there is one thing the usually have in common, several stacks of free magazines and newspapers.  The free info promotes the area, attractions, local events and hotels.  People frequently pick up these free reads on their way out of rest areas.

That's where I got the idea, why not enhance the magazines and newspapers with something else for the people to read?  It's simple.  Go to a stack of magazines.  Put a flyer in the first fifteen magazines of the stack.  Repeat until you have put flyers in all of the stacks.  One your way back home, you can do the same thing in the rest area on the other side of the interstate.

There is a good chance you are driving somewhere this year, and likely, you will pass a couple rest areas.  Maybe you are traveling to watch someone you know graduate, get married or for the holidays?  Maybe you are driving to Porcfest, the Liberty Forum or some other event?  Why not spend twenty minutes and promote the FSP?  It's quick, easy and fun.

Need ideas for flyers?  See here, http://www.freestateproject.org/volunteer/downloads

Please post your activism here!

BTW, you can do something similar at libraries.  See here for more details, http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=18210.0
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 02:59:03 pm by Keith and Stuff »

freedomroad

Re: Promoting the FSP at Rest Areas (On your way to Porcfest)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:07:32 am »

OK, so this happened.

When: June 2009
Where: Both I-89 Rest Area nears Burlington, VT
What: Distributed around 100 FSP flyers

The magazine racks
(outdated photo)

Flyer in magazine
(outdated photo)

This happened relating to Free Talk Live.  Warning, the FTL BBS has lots of crude posters.  Click at your own risk, http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=29723.msg549449#msg549449
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:11:57 pm by Freedomroad »

freedomroad

Re: Promoting the FSP at Rest Areas (On your way to and from Porcfest)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:00:18 am »

On the way to Porcfest.  Don't forget that Burning Porcupine starts today.  Also, many people will be doing Independence Day related travel.  Those are both fantastic opportunities to do this.  Many folks occasionally stop at Rest Areas anyway.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:53:07 pm by Freedomroad »

freedomroad

Re: Promoting the FSP at Rest Areas
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:29:48 pm »

Recently distributed across MA, a total of 80 FSP flyers between 3 different Rest Areas.  A couple of the Rest Areas even had separate rooms for the free magazines and newspapers.  You could grab a bag and grabbed a stack of free magazines.  The go back to the comfort of your car and enhance the magazines.  Then place the magazines back on the rack.  Quick and easy.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs214.snc1/8128_610292352460_38913738_34772559_6529930_n.jpg
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:13:30 pm by Freedomroad »

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 03:12:43 pm »

This has happened maybe 20 or so times since the last posted in this thread.  It's easy and fun.  If someone asks you to stop, stop.  However, I've never heard of anyone asked to stop.  Just take a bag inside the rest area to the section of free mags (sometimes the section is outside the rest area), fill it up and then go to your car.  In your car, place a FSP ad in the first page or the NH section of the mag.  Then fill the bag up again and return all of the mags exactly where you found them very neatly.  The is no damage to anyone or in anyway.  The people that pick up the free mags just get a free 1/2 sheet of paper to use as a bookmark, for notes or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:53:47 pm by Freedomroad »

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 04:46:28 pm »

Way to go
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:24:59 pm »

Here is another example.
November 2010 in VT.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:07:47 pm »

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 03:59:35 am »

This was recently done at a rest area in NY, two rest areas in OH and a rest area in KY.  Here is a photo from one of the rest areas in OH.  Of course, the magazines/newspapers were actually left closed, they are just opened for demonstration purposes.  There were some christian tracts left in a similar manor at one of the rest areas in OH.  The tract started off with this interesting text, "please forgive us for giving you this tract."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

freedomroad

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 02:56:45 pm »

Bumping this thread because some people are about to drive to New Hampshire for Porcfest. There is a good chance a lot of people will stop at a rest area or 2 along the drive to and from Porcfest. As long as folks are there, might as well spend 10 minutes and do some activism :)

Need ideas for flyers?  Print these or make your own. http://www.freestateproject.org/volunteer/downloads

Also, if you have a FSP bumper sticker or 2, this is a great time to put them on your car, if you haven't already done so :) Worried that it won't be able to come off? Go to Michael's and get a magnet backing for it. If you have a 2nd bumper sticker, consider placing it on the driver's side door.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:00:28 pm by 1DayAtATime »

celtic.circle

• Live, Love and Laugh
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 07:46:36 am »

Maybe this could work hand in hand with my proposal ?

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=28049.0
Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it. (MLK)
Pages: [1]   Go Up