Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utah- a State Willing to Leave  (Read 3544 times)

MichaelBRendan82

• I'm a llama!
Utah- a State Willing to Leave
« on: August 08, 2002, 02:55:43 pm »

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum

Dreadingt o admit it to myself I think Utah is a state willing to leave the Union.

I'm not a fan of the Mormon religion in the least being that I am a traditional Catholic. But the strong Mormon presence and the history of Mormon opposition to federal control are in favor of a free state.

The Mormon Theology still heavily favors polygamy- the thing Mormons surrendered to get into the Union- and in fact many many Mormons in Salt Lake City are polygamists of some sort. Insiders say that if Utah could gather enough power it would allow polygamy once again and challenge the federal government statues against it- and in this age of unrestrained pluralism it is possible that the feds might not refuse (therefore extinquishing our hopes of mass Mormon resisitance.)

Utah is a beautiful state and Salt Lake City is also a beautiful city. The politics are generally very conservative- with some ultra-right wing groups on the fringes.

There are some strikes against Utah.

1) The dominance of Mormonism and the probability of Mormon theocracy reminiscient of the Deseret territory are very real possibilities.
        2) Many Mormons believe the Constitution of the United States to be a  divinely inspired document-which could hurt.  this however could work in our favor seeing as the Federal Government by and large opposes its own constitution.  

marciesmom

• I'm a llama!
Re:Utah- a State Willing to Leave
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2002, 03:56:03 pm »

The part of Utah I've seen (north central) is beautiful, and there are many libertarians there.  But the biggest danger is that the Mormon religion would become law if secession occurs.  It's already difficult for non-Mormons to live and work there, by some accounts.  If we want to be truly free, we can't take the chance that we would then end up being bound!

bud

• I'm a llama!
Re:Utah- a State Willing to Leave
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2002, 03:45:09 am »

Utah.  Sure, lots of space, beautiful, varied terrain.  If we get 20,000 libertarian-minded people to move there, we'll
be out-numbered 50:1 by people who are blindly dedicated to a very authoritarian, paternalistic doctrine.  We may succeed in helping to "free" Utah from Big Brother Sam, but we'd be doing it for the currently dominant sect, and the libertarians would be right where they started--living under the tyranny of the majority.  I guess what I'm saying is that Utah might be willing to split with the feral gummint, but it wouldn't result in a free state by FSP's definition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up