Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wifi at Rogers  (Read 38102 times)

Kate

• Now in NH
Re: Wifi at Rogers
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 08:19:38 am »

My sister had very weak and spotty coverage with T Moblie last year at Porc Fest. 
She sometimes could make calls from our site.

kamil

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 09:40:03 am »

My sister had very weak and spotty coverage with T Moblie last year at Porc Fest. 
She sometimes could make calls from our site.

Thanks Kate, I guess I will be cut off from the world... Which isn't really a bad thing!

sandm000

• Brian
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 10:36:38 am »

Elaborating on the previous post, when Rogers was selected by the FSP for PorcFest, wireless was free (technically, complementary for paying to camp there, I suppose); this fact was given to the PorcFest organizers, who subsequently told many attendees about it. Now the wireless isn’t free. Sounds like they reneged on an agreement to me, no?

According to this, Verizon has expanded their 3G coverage to Lancaster. Anyone with this service, and a wireless router? We can set up our own wireless network for PorcFest attendees.

Jeremy nothing is settled in a contract until it is in writing. 

Wha? When did that happen? I can guarantee that verbal contracts exist and I don't see why a videotape of the agreement couldn't serve the same purpose as a written instrument. You require me to read your language in order to do business with me?
A government is not legitimate merely because it exists. 
-Jeane J. Kirkpatrick

The government's War on Poverty has transformed poverty from a short-term misfortune into a career choice.-Harry Browne

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work.-Milton Friedman

BiPolarBear

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 10:03:28 am »

Anyone know if the free wifi is accessible to those in the motel area?

If not, I would definitely be interested in the group rate option if that is still a possibility.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:08:56 am by BiPolarBear »

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 07:31:48 pm »

Anyone know if the free wifi...

There is no free wifi.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

shyfrog

• FSP Participant
  • Fear is the foundation of most governments
    • Shyfrog Media
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 10:33:05 am »

TANSTAAFW  >:D

ny2nh

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 09:04:38 pm »

I believe it is $4.99/hr, $9.99/day, or $19.99/week. Not so bad....

slayerboy

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 12:33:57 pm »

I just need to comment that the WiFi was the worst money I have ever spent.  I expected a slow connection but most of the time there wasn't even a connection that could be made either from my motel room or anywhere around the filed.  Verizon's wireless coverage was loopy as well, but that could have been all the other people who had verizon phones, as on Sunday the coverage was amazing.

But yeah, I was extremely disappointed with paying $15 for the week (I was there Thursday - Sunday) and being able to use it only a handful of times.  I could connect to IRC chat sometimes but I was lucky to load a website up at all.  This was my first Porcfest, so I have nothing to base this experience on, but I'd be interested in hearing how the service compares to last year. 

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 01:49:31 pm »

My SPRINT coverage was week.
ATT was 'ok'.

(I didn't use/try wifi)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »

It worked okay for me last year and this year.  My friend used it more than I but I was able to get what I needed done and even watch (with a bit of a wait) a YouTube video or two.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 02:58:48 pm »

ATT was 'ok'.

My phone flopped between 1 bar and 2 bars. Until I tried to call out or send an email--then it went to "No Service."

Seriously, I think I have to change carriers...

ny2nh

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 04:22:22 pm »

I just need to comment that the WiFi was the worst money I have ever spent.  I expected a slow connection but most of the time there wasn't even a connection that could be made either from my motel room or anywhere around the filed.  Verizon's wireless coverage was loopy as well, but that could have been all the other people who had verizon phones, as on Sunday the coverage was amazing.

But yeah, I was extremely disappointed with paying $15 for the week (I was there Thursday - Sunday) and being able to use it only a handful of times.  I could connect to IRC chat sometimes but I was lucky to load a website up at all.  This was my first Porcfest, so I have nothing to base this experience on, but I'd be interested in hearing how the service compares to last year. 

I bought the $14.95/wk service and used it all week. There were a couple of times I had a hard time connecting....but I just figured it was my laptop as it does the same thing at home sometimes.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 07:13:40 pm »

ATT was 'ok'.

My phone flopped between 1 bar and 2 bars. Until I tried to call out or send an email--then it went to "No Service."

if you plan on living at Rogers....  :)

1and 2 bars is 'ok' to me.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2010, 07:36:06 pm »

ATT was 'ok'.

if you plan on living at Rogers....  :)

1and 2 bars is 'ok' to me.

Like I said, it would show 1-2 bars. But when I would try to place a call, the service would be unavailable. ATT also seems to have spotty service in Hillsborough, Merrimack, and Rockingham counties.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 07:39:29 pm by B.D. Ross »

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 08:38:39 am »

I thought the wifi at Rogers worked just fine.  I don't normally do Youtube kinda stuff because of the 5G/Mo cap on my Verizon card, so when I arrived on Sunday I immediately started downloading the latest version of Ubuntu.  It took about the same amount of time as when I'm connected through a DSL line. I was also able to watch Youtube without any stoppage or jerkiness. 
The connection remained fast and stable until late thursday, when I noticed a slight decrease in speed. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up