Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Idaho  (Read 110264 times)

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
Re:Idaho Free State .com
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2003, 04:13:42 pm »

Idaho is once again my favorite state. Not yours yet? Don't worry, it soon will be:

12th lowest crime rate in the U.S. in 2000, the lowest in the Western U.S. (Crime in U.S. 2001).
Idaho's overall tax burden per capita is the 2nd lowest in the West.
Idaho has the 2nd lowest state and local per capita debt in the nation.
Idaho has the 7th lowest overall cost of doing business in U.S., 3rd lowest in West (Economy.com, 11/ 2001).
The Boise MSA has the lowest cost of doing business among the metro areas in the 13 western states (Economy.com, 2001).
Idaho ranks 7th in the nation for the number of skilled workers it attracts from other states (Southern Technology Council of National Science Foundation).  
Between 1999 and 2000, Idaho ranked 2nd nationally in GSP growth rate (8.3 percent) (Bureau of Economic Analysis 6/2002).
Idaho's personal income increased nearly 20 percent between 1998 & 2001, ranking the state 11th nationally, exceeding the national average (BEA 4/2002).
Idaho is number one in the nation for patents issued per capita.(US Patent Trademark Office 2000).
Driggs, Idaho ranked 1st of 50 best places to live according to Men's Journal (3/2002).
Pocatello, Idaho ranked 8th best place for business and careers among small metro areas (populations below 177,000) (Forbes 5/2002).
The value of Idaho's exports increased nearly 30 percent from 1998 to 2001 (from $1.5 billion to $2.1 billion). Top export products include high tech, food & agriculture and wood & building materials.
Idaho is number one in the nation in the production of potatoes, trout and winter peas. The state ranks in the top 10 in the nation among 22 other products. One-third of Idaho's agriculture and manufactured products are shipped abroad.

In 2000, more than 86 percent of Idaho's population are high school graduates as compared to the national percentage of almost 82 percent (US Bureau of the Census, Supplemental Survey 6/2001).

Between 1997-2002, Idaho ranks fourth in growth of women-owned businesses (National Foundation for Women Business Owners).
In 2000, science and technology, including indirect impacts, accounts for 30 percent of Idaho's economy ($11.1 billion).
Idaho's technology industry output has grown rapidly, ­ 6 percent annually with over 1,600 different technology companies (Batelle Science & Tech Report 12/2000)

Idaho is eighth in the nation for being consumer friendly for Internet transactions ­ (The Washington D.C.-based Progressive Policy Institute - March 2002).
In the last decade, Idaho experienced the 5th fastest rate of population growth among states (U.S. Census Bureau).
American Demographics ranks Idaho 1st in growth acceleration in the 1990s (5/2001).
Pocatello MSA ranks 3rd in growth rate of high-tech manufacturing companies (Milken Institute).
Boise MSA is the 2nd fastest growing small cybercity (AEA 12/2000).
Boise MSA is the 13th strongest metro economy (Policom Corp 2000).
Boise and Coeur d' Alene are listed as two of 50 'Best Places to Live.' In the category of the most 'Green and Clean' Coeur d' Alene ranks 5th and Boise ranks 10th (Modern Maturity 6/2000).
University of Texas lists Idaho as number one in business opportunity (University of Texas).
Boise is the 13th most attractive city (100,000 + population) in which to operate a business (Business Development Outlook).
Boise MSA ranks 2nd in growth rate of high-tech manufacturing companies (Milken Institute).
Boise ranks 28th among cities with under 300,000 population in the "Best Cities for Women 2002 survey. The magazine graded cities on factors ranging from lifestyle, crime rate, job prospects, economic opportunities, health care, education and child-care quality. (Ladies' Home Journal 4/2002)

source:
Idaho Dept. of Commerce
http://www.idoc.state.id.us/Data/economic/high.html
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

Kelton

• FSP Participant
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2003, 05:20:48 pm »

An existing culture of liberty is more important than any other factor, in my opinion.  Many of these entrenched politicians do not need to be taken out of office, they just need a swift kick in the pants and voters who demand more for freedom from them.  I think that will be our most powerful tool, a cultural shift towards freedom.  

That is not to say that strategic planning is not essential, I agree with you there, I just don't see why people are so timid of Idaho and New Hampshire if they already are years ahead of some smaller states on some issues that are very important to this membership.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 01:12:07 pm by exitus »
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2003, 06:25:14 pm »

Exitus,

I found your information quite helpful, thank-you!  The articles on the land grab was really a prime example of why the government must be limited, I believe.

Think Federal land holdings will be a major problem in Idaho, but then again, not enough to rule it out as a possible home.

Do believe if we all end up there, that will have to be of highest priority.

Will keep an eye on your postings, and let you know if I have any further questions!

Thanks again!
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Kelton

• FSP Participant
Can the capital of Idaho rid corrupt mayor?
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2003, 01:15:01 pm »

About 10,000 sign petition for recall (Idaho Statesman)
Recall backers have until Feb. 11 to gather 18,693 signatures from 186,000 Boise citizens.  If they can't find 10% of the populace willing to oust a corrupt mayor, I think we may have to give up much of our hope for freedom in Idaho, as statism and corruption go hand-in-hand.  For a city of it's size,  Boise has bucked the trend of statism a little bit more than many other cities of similar size, this is a good litmus test to see if the people of the capital of Idaho can stand- up to this nonsense or begin going the way of Atlanta.  We'll wait and see . . .  

Zxcv

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2003, 03:04:42 pm »

It's particularly interesting that this recall effort is over a mere junket, not anything to do with local policy. When people can get upset about such things, that's saying something positive about them. Most citizens in other states are far more jaded...

DanTheTileMan

• FSP Participant
  • Scorpion King!
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2003, 07:54:22 pm »

I had made a post in another section, before I found this one for Idaho.  I copied and am pasting it here.  I've learned alot from you guys!  My previous post:  

I had been looking at the possibility of moving to Idaho for some years now (way before coming across FSP).  I will be checking more into this possibility.  Should I move there and by some stroke of luck FSP goes there, too, I would consider it a bonus.  

What I like about Idaho is something I don't see being weighed as part of FSP's criteria.  There are families recently and currently moving to that state by the hundreds, as has been pointed out in the Aid & Abet police and military (and citizens) newsletter that I get.  Don't be scared, this newsletter is for freedom-loving, constitutionally literate people.  Anyway, they have started patriot communities in the area of Kamiah, ID which is in Idaho County.  These communities are full of Independents and Libertarians, alike.  The county is Idaho County, one of the largest in the country, yet it only has one traffic light.  The weather is quite decent, when you consider that they have a very long growing season, which may be of importance to some.  The hunting and fishing is fantastic, too.  To give you an idea of the weather, I keep Kamiah, Lewiston and Boise, Idaho weather on my browser home page and check it regularly (for the past 2 years).  In a comparison with where I am now (Aberdeen, MD), it has always been better: milder winters; bearable summers and decent precipitation (no drought).  

I guess, to sum it up, I like the fact that there are people already doing in Idaho, what FSP only hopes to do.  I have heard good results from the voting impact on the level of county, and even some good results at the state level.  Surely this is not from just a few hundred families, but also due to independents that already live there.  I bet some influence can also be derived from the infusion a community can get by having these freedom-loving new arrivals stirring up thoughts of being able to make a difference at the polls.  Maybe someone from FSP should contact Aid & Abet in Idaho and get some pointers.  Jack McLamb and the staff there are some terrific patriots.  I know they would be glad to help.  I will be writing to them my self, soon.  Should someone like to beat me to it, contact info, as follows:  
HC 11, Box 357, Kamiah, ID 83536  
(208) 935-7852

Well, that's it for now.  I am new to the Yahoo-Group type discussion.  Hopefully I am in the right place.

Dan the Man
To win without risk, is to conquer without glory - Unknown

Ron

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2003, 10:11:37 am »

The following is from Clearwater County, Idaho.
This is just one of a number of ongoing activities within the counties of Idaho.
Ron

NATURAL RESOURCE PLANNING COMMITTEE
IN CLEARWATER COUNTY GOVERNMENT

Approximately 96% of the County Commissioners in the United States are ordinary local citizens who provide their talents for the betterment of their local area.  They usually are not lawyers, nor are they schooled or trained to handle the increasingly complex and stressful legal decisions that County Commissioners must make.  County Commissioners are the elected persons closest to the citizens of their county.  Few understand that the U.S. Constitution assures their right, as such elected officials, to protect the citizens from illegal and/or inappropriate actions caused by federal or state agencies.

The goal of a Natural Resource Planning Commission in County Government is to bring citizens and leaders together to petition their Board of County Commissioners (Board) to request federal, and in some cases state agencies to obey their own laws, statutes, and codes.  This grass roots action allows the Board (or representatives of the Board) to legally communicate in meetings and discussions, on a joint and equal basis, with every federal or state agency regarding the county’s customs, culture, economy and environment.  This does not allow a county to over-rule or threaten a federal or state agency or their employees.  This process protects the right to a county’s equal footing and is completely different and has no connection to the so-called “supremacy movement.”

When requested by the citizens, a County Ordinance (lawfully adopted by the Board) is the best legal action to ensure compliance of federal and state agencies.  A Board’s written request, sent via certified mail, to a federal or state agency, is a quick and proven method to legally bring the government entities together.  It is important that the county citizens, through the Board of Commissioners, establish county ordinances which directly deal with the various natural resource issues for the federal and state lands located in their county.  This establishes a legal status whereby the federal and state agencies are required, by federal law, to coordinate their planning efforts with the Board.  Examples of such ordinances can be found with Walla Walla County and Columbia County in Washington, Wallowa County in Oregon, Modoc County in California, and Owyhee County in Idaho.  On several occasions, in court cases filed by several environmentalist groups, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco has upheld these County Natural Resource Ordinances for Federal Lands.

County Citizens, County Commissioners, County Sheriffs and federal agencies all are required to adhere to protections enshrined in the U.S. Constitution and the Constitution of their own state.  This is reflected in the Wyoming District Court’s decision (case #2.96-CV-099J).  The Court ruled in favor of the Sheriffs of Wyoming, stating that Wyoming is a sovereign state and the duly elected Sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county, and has law enforcement powers which exceed that of state or federal law enforcement officials.  The courts in Wyoming and Washington both have ruled that the Law and The Constitution protect the local citizens.

Federal and state agencies are required to adhere to all federal laws which protect local customs, culture, economy and environment.  After establishing County Ordinances for state and federal lands within their county, the County Boards and the citizens are required to abide by these ordinances.  Federal law requires that the federal and state agencies coordinate with such a County Board so the laws, ordinances and policies on such federal or state lands are developed harmoniously, with an equal consideration between federal, state, and county governments.  If the Board believes a federal or state agency has acted unfairly by violating the County Ordinance, federal law allows such a Board to contest, in the Superior Court.  Out of the approximate 3000 counties in the U.S.A. approximately 40 of these are using this County Ordinance method as a tool to effectively communicate, coordinate, and make joint decisions with state and federal agencies.

Clearwater County is now at a crossroads which provides us with a window of opportunity.  President Bush is calling for sensible forest management to avoid wildfire and promote reasonable logging practices.  For example:  If our County Ordinances required the removal of dead and dying timber from federal lands this would fit well with the President’s current directives.  In cooperation with these new federal policies, we would be protecting the Clearwater National forest from fires while at the same time reviving our local timber industry!  This can be accomplished if our Board forms a Natural Resource Planning Commission for the State and Federal lands of Clearwater County.  Other counties are successfully accomplishing these goals and we can learn from their experience.  Workbooks, seminars, and conferences are also available to us.  Clearwater County has received offers of assistance from many individuals and organizations including: Walla Walla County, Wallowa County (County Extension Agent, John Williams), Modoc County, Owyhee County, Stewards of the Range, The Washington Farm Bureau (Dave Winckler), The Idaho Farm Bureau, Mountain States Legal Foundation (William Perry Pendley), Karen Budd-Falen Law Offices, and Fred Grant.

With these natural resource planning methods county governments, tribal governments, state agencies and federal agencies are coming together and are jointly making decisions.  The federal laws protecting the Native Americans are similar in concept.  Following these coordination methods the county citizens are able to work together with the Tribe, harmoniously protecting the customs, culture, economy and environment of all local citizens.  By following the Notice and Publication requirements of Idaho Code all Clearwater County citizens will receive opportunities to participate in these Natural Resource Planning Committees.

County Commissioners, with the help of grass-roots citizens, must exercise these laws before they can work for their county.  The elected Board of County Commissioners is the key to lawful local control.  The research, work and preparation of a duly appointed Planning Committee are essential in order for the Board to gain a strong foothold under these federal laws.  The current Clearwater County Comprehensive Plan has already set the stage.  Since 1962 our Comprehensive Plans have spelled out and demanded the protection of our customs, culture and economic stability.  A Public Meeting explaining this process was called by Jon Walton on May 15, 2002 where a citizen’s exploratory committee was formed (Public Land Use Exploratory Committee, PLUEC).  PLUEC drew up and presented a petition calling for an official Planning Committee to be established as a recommending board to the Board of Commissioners.  In June 2002 the Board “took the matter under advisement” but made no action toward implementation.  On January 21, 2003 the newly elected Board was presented a similar petition by Jon Walton and members of PLUEC.  Chairman Leach instructed Jon Walton to gather a list of names from a broad spectrum of Clearwater County citizens for the purpose of forming the Clearwater County Natural Resource Planning Committee to assist in the development of a Clearwater County Natural Resource Management Plan for Federal and State Managed Lands.

glen

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2003, 09:28:30 pm »

Hi Ron

Interesting post!

Do you have some links where others might go for more information?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2003, 12:59:34 am by glen »

Kelton

• FSP Participant
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2003, 06:02:55 pm »

After reading this entire thread and the Idaho+ thread and several links posted, I came up with 32 reasons to vote for Idaho.  Unfortunately, I am missing a few. Here is what I have, (Not necessarily in any order of importance) . . . anyone want to try to help add some that I am missing?  

1. Only candidate state with no requirement for parents to initiate contact with state to begin homeschooling.

2. Lowest number of people on welfare, measured by TANF recipients, of all 50 states.

3. Ranked #3 or #4, depending on which measurement among states in gun freedoms.

4. Lower teacher union power, possibly second or third lowest among states in strength of union members

5. Best job market

6. Second only to Montana in ease of using a referrendum process among states yet Idaho law allows constitutional challenges to any referrendum before going to the ballot.

7. Best available air service, for availability of flights and price within all candidate states.

8. Idaho is #1 in the nation for the NPT Healthy Society Component which is a composite of  home ownership, percentage of population voting, births to unwed mothers, single parent families, and the percentage of population receiving welfare payments. Idaho received  a score of 6.4, among our candidate states, Wyoming came in second with 12.6.

9. Idaho has no presumptive eligibility for Medicaid.

10. Idaho has no Child Access Prevention (CAP) Law and has no Trigger Lock Law

11. Only Idaho families with annual incomes below $20,472 for a family of three qualify for child care help. Federal law allows the state to serve families with annual incomes up to $31,511.

12. Idaho along with adjacent states WY and MT are the only states that have no additional provision to federal law for right of plaintiff to collect on a legal judgement.

13. The State Constitution does not allow for secession from the United States, this will deflect criticisms that we are a secessionist movement.

14. As of June 2000, Idaho had an estimated $4.1 million unspent Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) funds from its FY 1998 allotment.

15. No state minimum wage.  Federal minimum wage is Idaho's minimum wage.

16. Idaho is a state having Right-To-Work laws.

17. Idaho is covered by the most pro-drug Federal Court of Appeals court, the 9th circuit in San Francisco.

18. All the counties in the 6 states and 1 province surrounding Idaho have very low population levels except for Spokane County Washington and Missoula County Montana.

19. Abundant ammo for a Potato cannon.  ;D

20. Though being the most populous state, Idaho has more people living outside of 25,000+ cities than Alaska and more rural residents outside cities of >13,000 population than both Alaska and North Dakota.

21. Despite being the most populous state, Idaho ranks third among our candidate states for absolute number of people in small cities and towns with LESS than 13,000 people; in other words, it ranks behind only New Hampshire and Maine for having a rural population( which is perceived as wherein lie the greatest number of allies for freedom).

22. Idaho has significantly different climate zones and an arguably warmer climate, overall, than any other of our candidate states.  

23. Despite being known as a conservative state, in 1994 Idaho voters rejected a statewide proposition to "establish state policies regarding homosexuality" which homosexual groups campaigned against saying it was "anti-homosexual".

24. Idaho's former lieutenant governor, Butch Otter held that chair for the longest time in Idaho's history and is now one of Idaho's two Congressional reps., his last opponent declared in her campaign, "His libertarian rhetoric has begun to wear thin and voters tell me they are suffering from “Otter Fatigue”, well, Otter won by a landslide.

25. In 1999, Idaho ranked #1 in the nation on the Freedom in America's 50 States economic freedom index.

26. Idaho is second to New Hampshire (although a distant second) in the level of freedom in auto insurance laws.

27. Idaho is second only to Wyoming in freedoms for smokers, yet unlike Wyoming,  is more smoking neutral in that it does not require employers to ignore smoking as a factor in employment.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 11:26:13 am by Kelton, a.k.a. exitus »

DanTheTileMan

• FSP Participant
  • Scorpion King!
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2003, 11:59:57 pm »

Hi Exitus,
As usual, your posts are quite informative.  I already like the idea of moving to Idaho, but your 20 positive points really put me over the top.  I think the job market is important, especially since I work in home improvement.  People need to keep money moving - especially new money that is creatd through business espansions, new business, and new people moving into an area.  Some of that money ends up in my pocket, and hopefully some of can end up in the coffers of Libertarian candidates.  I don't think it would be hard to convince them.  

I think that it will be easy to motivate others in Idaho to take up the call to arms, so to speak, to make some significant changes in the politics of that state.  When it comes to winning over the people already living there and currently moving there, I would rank it #1.  What do I base that assumption on?  Not on any hard data, just my gut feeling and talking to some people who already have moved there in the past few years.  Some are Christian first and foremost; some are strict constitutionalists; some are non-political, but all of them lean the same way - our way.  

I hope you find the other 12 'lost' reasons.  I enjoy reading your posts and might just have to start a new thread - "Best of Exitus"!!  

Keep up the good work,
Dan the Man
To win without risk, is to conquer without glory - Unknown

thewaka

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2003, 12:08:45 am »

After reading this entire thread and the Idaho+ thread and several links posted, I came up with 32 reasons to vote for Idaho.  Unfortunately, I am missing the last 11 (Not necessarily in any order of importance) . . . anyone want to try to help add some that I am missing?

Exitus, cheer up. You are only missing 5! You misnumbered (10-13 are repeated) so actually have 27. I would still like to see, as much as is possible, hard evidence that those currently serving in the legislature will be easily turned to a more libertarian view. Also that the citizenry is leaning in our direction; and if this is the case, why ID isn't more libertarian.

Diana

Kelton

• FSP Participant
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2003, 05:10:18 am »

Exitus,
Idaho is only #1 in one of the Camelot ratings.
Thanks, Joe, Diana.   I made the corrections.

With all those positive points gleaned from the discussion threads that I just posted, I hope that somebody else will now run with all that good info and build on it.  Right now, I am actually starting to lean towards advocating that Idaho be chosen as an excellent BORDER to the Free State!

I enjoy reading your posts and might just have to start a new thread - "Best of Exitus"!!  

Thanks for your kind words, Dan.  You must have read my mind, I was actually planning on retiring the handle exitus and re-registering very soon and re-naming this one to: "exitus, Greatest Hits, Vol. 1"; but "Best of Exitus" sounds even better.  It's just that I'm becoming a little self- conscious of all those stars and the philosopher moniker.  I'm worried that someone might start accepting what I have to say as valid simply because I wear enough stars.  ;)

For anybody wanting to keep track of that story in Boise, of the mayor and his little junket on taxpayer's expense and the recall effort on that, they got 40% more signatures than they needed!  Proof that over 14% of Boise residents are more than happy to teach city hall a lesson in respecting the taxpayer :
Wearing bright yellow T-shirts and singing “La te da, away we go,” about 40 volunteers from the campaign to recall Mayor Brent Coles marched down Idaho Street and into Boise City Hall Tuesday to deliver what they said were more than 26,000 signatures.

thewaka

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2003, 09:48:37 am »

Can anyone give a good answer to the following:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Opinion/story.asp?ID=32862

Unfortunately, your conclusions are naive. Idaho´s legislators will never vote the kind of increases needed. A large number of them don´t care about educational results, only how little they can spend to get by.

Idahoans are smarter than the people they elect. In poll after poll, they want better education and are willing to pay for it.

In all likelihood, therefore, school funding will improve only when an initiative or a referendum is placed before the people.

How does one research this? Last night I began reading The Idaho Statesman, mostly the editorials and letters to the editor. I hope to be able to read several newspapers for 6 of the states (the ones I believe highly unlikely to win the state vote I am leaving out). I am trying to get an idea of where the people are, not just the media.

The above makes it sound like we will never get rid of state education. That the people are quite willing to be taxed. This doesn't sound good for Idaho. Any rebuttals?

Diana

Kelton

• FSP Participant
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2003, 11:06:37 am »

One disturbing trend in Idaho recently,  how some school districts are trying to lure homeschoolers with "free information packets and online support"  once the homeschoolers accept them, they are under the rule of the school district and no longer allowed the legal latitude to set their own curriculum.  There is a big notice going around home-school discussion groups to beware of this under- handed trickery.

Data deleted because data may be unreliable-- if anyone can find more recent data on private school enrollment, that would be great, it looks like Delaware is still doing well by some reports found online.

Idaho and Alaska also seem to be quite high on the homeschooling lists yet somewhat low on the private school measures-- this is just inferred from a variety of discussion lists and sources I have found  ---again , anyone have more up-to-date data?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 01:54:08 pm by exitus »

glen

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2003, 12:52:19 am »

Lars H has started a very informative thread on the problem of Federal Highway Funding:

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=1294

The arguments cannot be summarized here, but it is possible to say that based on his analysis, Idaho is taxed roughly equal to the cost of building and maintaining its portion of the federally owned highways. By contrast, all of the other western states are heavily dependent on federal funding to build and maintain their systems.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up