Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Idaho  (Read 128711 times)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:Idaho
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2003, 09:55:31 am »

It's true that the liquor laws measure doesn't deal with liquor taxation, but including that would double-count on the taxes as % of income measure.  What hurts Idaho on liquor laws, even though it has the best laws on direct sale of wine from other states, is that it allows local-option prohibition, has a state law banning liquor sales on Sunday, has state liquor stores, and forbids all liquor retail sale except by the drink.  (This last one is really strange; this is the only candidate state with such a requirement, and it seems so onerous to me that perhaps I've misinterpreted the statute.)

Incidentally, as I look at the raw data, it seems that the spreadsheet is off.  ID is supposed to be slightly ahead of MT, VT, and ME, which are all supposed to be tied for last.  I'll have to look at the old thread on this topic to see whether there was some reason for altering the calculations I've saved.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2003, 02:29:41 pm »

It's true that the liquor laws measure doesn't deal with liquor taxation, but including that would double-count on the taxes as % of income measure.  

Good point, and that would just do more of what Varrin speaks of when he says,
I suspect ID takes a ding in spreadsheet rankings as a result of weighting the other indexes (in which it scores less well) highly *and* weighting the independent tax variables (also available on the spreadsheet) highly.  

What hurts Idaho on liquor laws, even though it has the best laws on direct sale of wine from other states, is that it allows local-option prohibition, has a state law banning liquor sales on Sunday, has state liquor stores, and forbids all liquor retail sale except by the drink.  (This last one is really strange; this is the only candidate state with such a requirement, and it seems so onerous to me that perhaps I've misinterpreted the statute.)
I guess you are right, (that my list was incomplete) that's what I get for writing about things just off the top of my head without looking them up first.  

Okay, so it's so impressive that now I'm making it sound like Idaho doesn't even need the FSP.......  ;)

O.K. then, we'll just go to New Hampshire, show everyone how it's done, and they in the "New Hampshire of the West" will follow  ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 11:35:57 am by Kelton, a.k.a. exitus »
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2003, 02:56:12 pm »

I re-examined the raw data and how the measure was compiled, and it's true that ME and VT should be on the bottom, rather than ID.  So I edited the spreadsheet and uploaded it.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Kelton

• FSP Participant
Idaho Highlights
« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2003, 03:56:01 pm »

The very first '# of Reasons to vote for State X' listing is found here in this thread, written back in February.

The following is a compilation of thoughts about positives for Idaho.  Extensive fact-checking has gone into it, error-corrections are welcome.
This is only a supplement to other papers about Idaho out there, much still could go into this one from those, but in the interest of time (like the fact that ballots are already sent), I present the following for your perusal:

• For many years, Idaho’s elected Senators in Congress have consistently received the highest overall scorecard in the nation on the national League of Private Property Voters, a property rights activist group;  higher, cumulatively, than any candidate state, though just barely ahead of Wyoming
  • The Republican Liberty Caucus publishes an annual libertarian rating of all Congressional Representatives and Senators.  For the latest one available, 2001, Idaho has the highest combined score of any state in the entire nation, just a little ahead of Wyoming and New Hampshire, and significantly better than other candidate states.
  • Idaho was the only candidate state to have a Republican congressman vote against the Patriot Act.  Vermont is the only other candidate state that can claim to even have a representative vote the right way on this hideous piece of legislation. One of Idaho’s representative is actively co-sponsoring bills to limit the Patriot Act.
  • Idaho was the only candidate state to have a Republican congressmen vote for house bill 420 to de-fund federal intrusion on state medical marijuana, and not just one, but both of Idaho’s Republican Congressmen.  In fact, only representatives from Maine, Vermont and Idaho voted correctly on this bill.
  • The comprehensive 'Economic Freedom in America's 50 states' report by Clemson Dept. Of Economics ranks Idaho 1st in the nation and highlights Idaho's low cost of welfare payments and rate of public aid.
  • The Institute for Justice stated in its most recent report on eminent domain abuse, that “Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, South Dakota and Wyoming appear to be the best.” of all states in the U.S. for level of protection against abuse and favorable history of protecting property rights.  
  • Idaho’s congressional representatives voted against George Bush’s bloated farm bill, this despite being one of the largest agricultural producers in the West.      
  • In the most recent 7 years of a respected academic study, voters in Idaho averaged 25% better at voting for small-government campaigns than even the second -place FSP candidate state.
  • The level of freedom that home-schooling parents wish to have in a truly free state is already available to be practiced legally in Idaho right now.  In the official FSP rankings, only Alaska ranks higher, however, the only real difference between Idaho and Alaska is that some specific language in Idaho law that requires students to have an education that is similar to the public schools, but that requirement has been invalidated by the courts.  Idaho school districts face a high burden of proof to even attempt questioning whether parents are properly schooling their children.  In reality, Idaho offers more freedom to homeschool than any other candidate state!
  • Idaho has a high number of students who are being home-schooled in the best way that their parents see fit, but it is hard to estimate exactly how many that is, since Idaho has no requirement for parents to even make contact with schools if they decide not to enroll their children in public education.  In fact, stories abound of students who are able to completely escape even getting an education their whole childhood with no repercussions under Idaho’s most lenient home-schooling laws.  On various home-school message boards, parents have made mention that they moved to Idaho to take advantage of the favorable schooling climate available only in Idaho.
  • Idaho is also the only state that has a law that specifically prohibits school officials from even talking with children who are home-schooled.
  • Idaho spends less per pupil than any other candidate state, partly because 32% of Idaho’s population is under the age of 19 and there are many students.  The single largest expenditure of Idaho tax funds is public education.  Idaho also spends more of its GSP than any other candidate state towards public education.  Needless to say, the implementation of private school solutions would go a long way in Idaho towards the creation of a free state.
  • Idaho currently struggles more than most other states to even pay a competitive wage for teachers.  As a Right-to-work state, a large majority of Idaho teachers choose not to even join the teachers unions.  Less than 4% of all campaign contributions in Idaho come from all forms of organized labor combined. Teachers would welcome any solution that would allow a more competitive wage, most practical to implement in Idaho.
  • Idaho, along with Wyoming and North Dakota are the only candidate states where no general obligational debt is permitted for state funding.
  • Idaho, Wyoming and Montana have the very least state-imposed barriers to seeking federal bankruptcy protection, as a provision allowed by federal law.  This is complemented by the fact that it is most easy to conduct civil collection activities in the Intermountain West states due to there being few laws that add to federal collection laws.  
  • Idaho, Wyoming and Montana are the only candidate states that have no additional provisions to federal law to allow a plaintiff to seek collections on a civil monetary judgement.
  • Idaho, Alaska and Montana are the only candidate states that require no safety inspection in order to register and license your car.
  • Idaho, Wyoming and South Dakota are the only candidate states that do not require a license, statewide, to become a private investigator.
  • Licensing requirements in Idaho and several Western states overall, are quite lenient, relative to the rest of the nation.  Much anecdotal evidence has confirmed this.  For instance, it takes one class, a test and a small fee to get a pesticide applicator’s license in most Western states, yet in some other places, such as Delaware, this same permit actually takes years of journeyman experience in order to qualify.
  • Idaho and Wyoming both have the lowest rate of welfare use in the form of cash assistance on a level that is several times better than the next candidate state, New Hampshire.
  • Idaho has the lowest state-sponsored spending on Medicare per capita and has the second-lowest spending next to Wyoming on total Medicare spending per capita among all of our candidate states.
  • Idaho and Montana are the only candidate states that require an asset test in order for parents to qualify to enroll their children in Medicaid for Children.  

• On Medicaid enrollment, Idaho and Wyoming together tie for second lowest rate, just shortly after Alaska, which has the youngest population, and lowest Medicaid enrollment in the nation
  • In Medicaid spending per enrollee, Idaho was second to Vermont in lowest amount of spending per recipient, but Vermont’s low spending was a reflection of the economics of having a far higher number of enrollees, several times the rate of enrollment of Idaho.
  • Idaho is second only to Wyoming in level of freedom afforded to smokers, yet unlike Wyoming, Idaho allows employers to freely discriminate against smokers in hiring practices.
  • Idaho, Alaska, and Vermont are the only candidate states which allow non-permit concealed carry away from home.  (Although it must be emphasized that Idaho currently requires permits for concealed-carry inside of cities, towns, and a few other select places).  In addition, Idaho does not require concealed-carry permits for any individual that acts in any public elected office, certain court-appointed guardians, current and retired peace officers,  and others among a long list of exemptions.
  • Idaho law preempts lower jurisdictions from passing laws more strict than state law when it comes to gun freedom.
  • Idaho accepts concealed-carry permits from all other states.
  • Open-carry of weapons is permitted in Idaho, as well as peaceable journey of weapons while traveling.
  • Idaho, New Hampshire, Maine and North Dakota are the only states that issue non-resident CCW permits
Idaho – Attractive for Activism

• Sunny Idaho has the most diverse geography and climate.  Idaho's largest cities have warmer winters than every other FSP state except Delaware.  Idaho also has cooler areas, flat areas, mountains, and more.
  • Idaho has the best job forecast of any of the FSP candidates.  That will make it quicker and easier for all of us to get jobs and focus on activism.
  • Idaho has a low cost of living and low real estate prices, even in it's largest city, Boise.  That will allow us to live better on less money and devote more resources to increasing liberty.
  • Idaho is business friendly and has a vibrant high technology sector.  There are more patents issued per-capita in Idaho than in any other state in the US.  
  • Idaho also has better air service than any of the other FSP candidates.
  • Idaho has the cheapest energy costs, cheapest gasoline, chepaest per-killowatt electricity (a fraction of all the eastern states.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 09:58:58 am by Kelton, a.k.a. exitus »
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2003, 04:33:30 am »

Kelton,

Fantastic job!!!  I'm sorry I didn't have the time to devote to Idaho.  Idaho is worth it.  I hope between this list, the ballot paper, and the already favorable impression Idaho has, that the FSP voters do rank it highly.  

I am at the stage now where I'm really attempting to visualize things in any of the three leading candidates (i.e. ID, NH, and WY).  I must say I'm slowly warming up to WY and NH (both have their strengths and weaknesses).  But even this last few weeks, I've flown over all three states.  Between that and all the other great things about ID, I'm having a hard time imagining it any better elsewhere...

Thanks again for your tireless work...  With any kind of luck, I'll be home soon.  Maybe we can get together!

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

Kelton

• FSP Participant
An Idaho resident visits California
« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2003, 04:09:00 am »

Thought I'd pass along some anecdotes about Idaho. . .

I recently had a houseguest from Idaho Falls, Idaho stay for a few days.  She has lived in WY,UT, and ID, grew-up in Idaho and recently returned.  She scored as a left-centrist on the LP Nolan chart that I quizzed her with.

Some quotations :

spoken at a convenience store after two days,
"Wow! people here in California aren't very friendly.  Nobody has even smiled.  People always return a smile in Idaho".

spoken while at a restaurant,
"I worked as a waitress for 5 years, a lot of people in Idaho are bad tippers, especially the old farmers.  They would come in the cafe and sit for an hour, demanding cup after cup of coffee and never leave a thing."

Spoken while in the car,
"Public transit! I haven't seen that since I lived in Utah. There are no public buses in Idaho."
I then explained that there are public busses in Boise, and she responded, "I was there for five days since I needed a way to get around, had to use a taxi, no, I don't think so."

Overheard,
"he is my boss, he's was the guy who wasn't gay at the whole Pocatello store, then he got a better job at the Idaho Falls store to be a level 2, that's why he moved, not 'cause of that."

And then,
"Hey, why don't you guys move out to Idaho, you'll love it, it's much better than here, if you move to Boise, you should find a job, . . . "  (my wife and I turned to each other winked and smiled, and then said, "oh! there's about a 1 in 10 chance that we'll move to Idaho!)  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 04:18:28 am by Kelton, a.k.a. exitus »

Zxcv

« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2003, 01:49:33 pm »

Idaho was the only candidate state to have a Republican congressmen vote against house bill 420 to de-fund federal intrusion on state medical marijuana...

Kelton, this reads funny.

Federal intrusion is bad. Therefore, bill 420 which defunded intrusion is good. So if Idaho's congressmen voted against bill 420, that's bad!

I assume you just have too many negatives floating around here...  :)

Idaho and Wyoming both have the lowest rate of welfare use in the form of cash assistance on a level that is several times better than the next candidate state, New Hampshire.

Are you sure about that? My big spreadsheet shows a slightly lower percentage of people in Wyoming receiving AFDC cash, and a significantly lower percentage of people in NH getting food stamps.

On the other hand, ID looks the best on unfunded health care mandates, something it looks like you missed...

Your friend is wrong about mass transit, there are buses in Boise:
http://www.valleyride.org/

Kelton

• FSP Participant
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2003, 10:09:46 am »

Thank you, Zxcv.  Correction made, I had one too many negatives.  Both of Idaho's reps voted for Ron Paul's bill 420 to defund marijuana raids, just like the Marijuana Policy Project had advised.

As to AFDC welfare, I stated Wyoming and Idaho as being leaders.  Idaho was #1 in the nation from about 1995-2001, then I found that one stat showing (I think it was Jan. 2002) that Wyoming was ahead by a about 13 people out of several hundred, but then I found another authoritative source stating that Idaho remained 1st, so I decided to call them equals for lack of more data. I think it is still accurate to say that Wyoming and Idaho are leaders in this arena.  New Hampshire is near tops in low food stamp usage, however.

On the other hand, ID looks the best on unfunded health care mandates, something it looks like you missed...
Correct, thanks for bringing that up, one more thing to put into my grand list of which this is only a part.  (hope to put it all together before the 22nd :) )
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 12:31:31 pm by Kelton, a.k.a. exitus »

johnadams

• Friend of the FSP, Libertarian
« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2003, 12:01:55 am »

Good work on promoting Idaho, Kelton. I had WY strongly in second after NH when I first started reading these fora, and I didn't think that any other states were even close, but thanks to the information provided by you and others I've since moved Idaho into second place. Of course, I'm not voting, so I don't have an effect on the vote, but I'm sure that other people must have been impressed by your rational, supported and civil arguments.
"men are born equally free and independent" - John Adams
World's Smallest Political Quiz

WriteWinger

• Sacrifice this!
    • Write Winger
« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2003, 10:16:40 pm »

I live in Texas.  I would consider moving to Idaho or maybe Montana, Wyoming 3rd.

Idaho is the only place I have ever been where you can rent a teepee with a waterbed in it on the banks of the Salmon River surrounded by mountains...absolutely terrific place.  

As a consultant, transporation is a must....Boise is the best choice in the state for direct flights on real airplanes to get anywhere...but it is a sight better than having to drive into Boston to catch a flight out of Logan....miserable airport...Logan.
If Parasites are bad for my dog, what makes them good for my country?

Write Winger: Solutions for the Politically Oblique!.....my book...at Booklocker.com

johnadams

« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2003, 10:50:54 pm »

I live in Texas.  I would consider moving to Idaho or maybe Montana, Wyoming 3rd.

Idaho is the only place I have ever been where you can rent a teepee with a waterbed in it on the banks of the Salmon River surrounded by mountains...absolutely terrific place.  

As a consultant, transporation is a must....Boise is the best choice in the state for direct flights on real airplanes to get anywhere...but it is a sight better than having to drive into Boston to catch a flight out of Logan....miserable airport...Logan.
Luckily, NH folk don't have to drive into Boston to get to an airport. Nowadays, people in northern Massachusetts drive to NH to use their airports.

WriteWinger

• Sacrifice this!
    • Write Winger
« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2003, 11:34:55 pm »

well having Ma people in the state is bad enough...but does your airports have real airplanes...I don't fly on anything with propellers.

Write Winger: Solutions for the Politically Oblique!.....my book...at Booklocker.com

johnadams

« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2003, 12:14:42 am »

well having Ma people in the state is bad enough...but does your airports have real airplanes...I don't fly on anything with propellers.
I assume that is a joke. FYI: I do not live in NH.

WriteWinger

• Sacrifice this!
    • Write Winger
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2003, 10:38:43 am »

No joke....I fly on Jets...don't like comuter aircraft.

As for the people in the Peoples Republic of Mass....I can see the same thing happen to NH as has happened to Washington State.  The rich guilt ridden liberals move there to escape the tax nightmare they let happen in their own state and the vicious cycle begins again.  ID, MT and WY are far enough away from such places as MA and CA that the influx of "I've got mine, screw you" liberals isn't as likely.

johnadams

« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2003, 02:32:41 pm »

No joke....I fly on Jets...don't like comuter aircraft.
The part I thought might be a joke was the part where you asked if there are any airplanes without propellers. Yes, there are. The two largest airports in the area (after Logan) have both commercial and private jets. Manchester Airport recently had a new terminal added and has become popular with people in Northern MA.

You might want to learn a little more about NH before writing it off.

Manchester Airport
Manchester, NH
Phone: 603-624-6539
http://www.flymanchester.com
(The audio track at this site is pretty cool. :) )

New Hampshire's largest commercial airport, served by major airlines for domestic flights.
Manchester is served by most of the major US carriers, either by the main carrier or a commuter company.

Commercial Airlines:
Southwest
United
Delta
US Airways
Northwest
Continental

Portland International Jetport
Portland, ME
(About 50 miles up I-95 from Portsmouth, NH)
Phone: 207-772-0690
http://www.portlandjetport.org/

Maine's international airport, with commercial flights, is just a short drive from Southern New Hampshire.
Commercial Airlines:
United
US Airways
Delta
American Eagle
Continental
Northwest

By the way, I can walk to a nearby bus terminal and take a bus to Logan Airport (run by a private bus company). So using Logan airport has been generally quite easy and convenient for me, though if you want to park at the airport you will find it expensive and inconvenient (and the pick-up/drop-off areas are poorly designed and congested). There are also other airports available to Massachusetts residents at Hanscom Field, Worcester and Rhode Island. I know people who prefer to use these airports, as well as Manchester, because flights tend to be cheaper (as well as parking).
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up