Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folks looking for work on the seacoast:  (Read 7468 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Folks looking for work on the seacoast:
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:06:43 pm »

Now is the time to get applications in.  There will be thousands of college students turning in applications over the next couple of weeks.  The Spring semester has ended at UNH, and will be ending for others this month.  The only way to beat the herd is to get applications in right away, especially for those service sector positions.  Because networking is so critical in New England, it's important to get applications in at places where you shop regularly and where you have friends who work there.  The New England manager's hiring routine is to take a stack of applications, ask subordinates if they have heard of any of those people, and (assuming they find someone they recognize) to send the rest into the waste bin.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
Re: Folks looking for work on the seacoast:
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:27:13 am »

The seacoast job market is a bit different this year, but it's still viable and a good way for noobs to get their foot in the door and network.  That's something that you really have to do in New England to get established.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

StarkRavingSane

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:49:19 pm »

I second that.  As a west coaster who spent five years in NH after marrying a Maine-folk, took a company transfer, got laid off and then passed out a lot of resumes only to get universal "Oh, you're not from here" responses, I can say that unless you are from New England, you have a tough nut to crack.  Keep trying, these are good people, even if they're not FSPers. I'm lucky, I've got step-kids to grease my way back, but after spending five years in Canada, I can say without reservation there is no place else to be.
"The map is not the territory" -- Alfred Korzybski

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 02:06:03 pm »

I did not realize that having heard of someone and networking was so important there.  Is it a clique or is NH a place that does not accept newcomers?

Thank you for sharing this info.
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 05:28:45 pm »

Yup.  I knew about this before the 2003 vote, and that's why I picked western states.  Hiring there is mostly based on merit.  They have a saying in the northeast: it's not what you know--it's who you know.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:08:12 pm »

Yup.  I knew about this before the 2003 vote, and that's why I picked western states.  Hiring there is mostly based on merit.  They have a saying in the northeast: it's not what you know--it's who you know.

uhm  that saying I heard when I lived in California.....(and it is true there as well)

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 03:12:43 pm »

That wasn't true in the northwest, at least.  I've worked out of socal quite a bit, and, even there, merit is pretty damned important.

HendrikVrij

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 03:37:57 am »

Hurray for LinkedIn.com to build up a business network before you actually arrive in the region!
( http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/hendrik-brouwer/6/a94/8b7 )

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 02:39:06 pm »

Hmmmmm....

Nothing beats face to face.  I always tell people to grab a couple of part time jobs when they get here in order to network with as many folks as possible.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 07:09:31 am »

uhm  that saying I heard when I lived in California.....(and it is true there as well)

Shh...

Don't ruin Max's little fantasy world.

Speaking as someone who has reason to hire folks on occasion, and who is from here, I can say that I hire based upon merit, not where someone is from.  And that holds true for nearly anyone else I'm aware of who has control over hiring.

However, unlike many places, "merit" means actually knowing things, not having degrees and the like.  Prove you know how to do the job, and do it well, and Yankees will hire you.  In certain jobs, it's useful to have a degree, but if all you have is a piece of paper to wave around, you won't get far.  If you have practical knowledge, the degree is secondary.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 05:58:20 pm »

MaineShark-

Thanks for your input on this topic.

I agree that proving capability is much more important than a piece of paper that declares a person educated.  Some of the wisest people I have met have had little formal education.  I wonder how many employers have missed out on potential exceptional assets to their business simply because they were so caught up on seeing a piece of paper, who someone's parents are, and so on?
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything