Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone interested in a kayaking trip?  (Read 5027 times)

ESMorin

Anyone interested in a kayaking trip?
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:21:30 pm »

Hey everyone! I know there is a hiking trip planned for PorcFest....but I am much more into kayaking. I can bring my 2 kayaks. Grafton Pond is supposedly a nice little lake to paddle on. Anyone interested in doing this one day during PorcFest??

freedomroad

Re: Anyone interested in a kayaking trip?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:56:01 pm »

Hey everyone! I know there is a hiking trip planned for PorcFest....but I am much more into kayaking. I can bring my 2 kayaks. Grafton Pond is supposedly a nice little lake to paddle on. Anyone interested in doing this one day during PorcFest??

If you are speaking of the Grafton Pond in Grafton, NH, that is a heck of a drive to kayak.  There is likely a pond or lake much closer.  Mirror Lake or Burns Pond in the Whitefield, NH area are very close but I don't know if they have public access.  Forest Lake certainly has public access because it is attached to Forest Lake State Park.

Anyway, the actual idea sounds good.  You may want to do it before Porcfest because if you know someone who lives in Grafton they may even let you camp there for a day so you could do this on the way up to Porcfest.  BTW, I've been to Grafton Pond and it is pretty nice.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:59:05 am »

Scuba Pete will likely bring his canoe. I have kayak stored up at Little Minnesota that could be used but my PFF plate is pretty full already.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

ESMorin

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:43:16 pm »

Ack! You are right! I didn't realize how far it was. I must have been sleepy when I looked at the map! Bummer. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

xfahctor

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 06:34:11 pm »

The conneticut river is only about 10 minutes from Roger's, great for kayaking or canoeing. There are a number of other bodies of water close by as well, such as Martin meddow pond, Mirror lake to name a couple.

ESMorin

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 10:15:27 pm »

Well, I will have 2 kayaks with me....it would be awesome if other people brought them too! I'm not a big hiker...but I love to paddle.

Trenks

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:35:51 pm »

I might be bringing my canoe.......be great to do a group kayak canoe trip down the conneticut river there.....

remember, access for canoe or kayak doesn't really matter. If you can walk to the edge of the river you can launch there. Here in WI, camping on any river islands or resevoir islands is ok.........probably so in NH?

awsmpete

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:31:12 pm »

I shall bring my canoe and scuba gear, but don't know the local water.  Trips would have to be Thurs, Sun, or after shooting.

Trenks

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 01:59:29 pm »

The Connecticut river looks like it sucks. Why? They've destroyed it with farmland all along the edge of it almost the whole length. Look at the aerials. I don't know about you guys, but I'd have no fun paddling down a river with farmland on all sides.

The Isreal river is right across the street from Rogers and you could carry a kayak or canoe down to it. It is smaller, but its a river, not a stream or brook and looks plenty wide to paddle down. It flows north into Lancaster and looks like it could have some pep to it. Could be fun. I was going to canoe it but my friend won't let me put my canoe on top her car.

I'll go along with anyone thats got an extra spot in their canoe.

awsmpete

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 06:58:01 am »

My canoe holds four easily and is indestructible.  If my schedule is too full I may end up just loaning it out for whomever.  I think I'll not bother with the scuba gear.

Recumbent ReCycler

• Live free or die fighting for freedom!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:59:43 am »

I like kayaking, but don't own one.  I'd be interested if someone can loan me one.  I'd prefer a longer kayak.

kalmia

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 11:06:32 pm »

I'd be interested if I am able to arrange it.  I don't feel like dragging mine 2000 miles though.  I could bring my life jacket and paddle though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up