Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where in NH is the action at?  (Read 5202 times)

zeroDNT

Where in NH is the action at?
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:16:56 pm »

Hello fellow Free Staters! I currently live in Hartford, Connecticut and have planned on moving to the free state for a while now but have been hesitant. I have meet with a few Free Staters when I visited NH during the 2008 primaries, when the Libertarians hosted a forum with Ron Paul speaking at it. All Free Staters that I have meet are very good people, but 20 - 30 years older than me. No offense, I was just hoping for a younger crowd. I have been to Manchester, Nashua and Portsmouth but just for a visit. My trouble is locating my new home town, I am wondering if you guys can help possibly guide me there. Im 23, motivated political activist, and a punk rocker at heart, so peace and quiet in a town isn't necessarily what I'm looking for. Is there an underground punk/folk/indie/rock music scene in NH? Where in NH are the younger liberty minded folk hanging out?  8)

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Where in NH is the action at?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:28:45 pm »

Welcome!

Is there an underground punk/folk/indie/rock music scene in NH?

Not that I know of.  But then again, if that scene existed I probably wouldn't know about it anyway.  :)

Where in NH are the younger liberty minded folk hanging out?  8)

All over, but the largest numbers are in Manchester/Concord, Keene, and perhaps Nashua.  The Seacoast (Dover, Portsmouth, Rochester, Exeter mainly) also has a fair number, and UNH @ Durham might be a good place to get plugged into that music scene you were talking about.  Certainly a lot of young folk there -- most of them younger than yourself I'd reckon.  And during the Ron Paul campaign there was a lot of pro-Ron Paul chalking going on around that campus.

LiftsBoxes

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 07:48:08 pm »

http://www.myspace.com/asimplecomplex

Is based in Manchester and plays all over New England.  Panicboy can probably direct you better than I can around the indie / punk scene.  He isn't a FreeStater, but he's good people and is into liberty.
"Bother!" said Pooh as he chambered another round.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:59:20 pm »

Hello fellow Free Staters! I currently live in Hartford, Connecticut and have planned on moving to the free state for a while now but have been hesitant. I have meet with a few Free Staters when I visited NH during the 2008 primaries, when the Libertarians hosted a forum with Ron Paul speaking at it. All Free Staters that I have meet are very good people, but 20 - 30 years older than me. No offense, I was just hoping for a younger crowd. I have been to Manchester, Nashua and Portsmouth but just for a visit. My trouble is locating my new home town, I am wondering if you guys can help possibly guide me there. Im 23, motivated political activist, and a punk rocker at heart, so peace and quiet in a town isn't necessarily what I'm looking for. Is there an underground punk/folk/indie/rock music scene in NH? Where in NH are the younger liberty minded folk hanging out?  8)

I think that the newer movers tend to be younger.

If you are political and looking for young folks... Then Manchester is your destination.
If you are coming to Porcfest.. I can introduce you to them.

An old fart.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:19:44 pm »

Welcome!

Is there an underground punk/folk/indie/rock music scene in NH?

Not that I know of.  But then again, if that scene existed I probably wouldn't know about it anyway.  :)

What MargoMaps? I thought that was your thing, don't you have your favorite Punk band tattoed on your neck and forehead?  Oh, wait, no that's not you.   ;D Actually, count me in with you regarding knowing about that scene!!!!  ;D

4 zerodnt, sorry you've missed the younger guys and don't give up!  I know there's some in Manchester (try Taproom Tuesdays) and some in Keene as well (try Sociol Sundays)!  Good Luck!
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 01:43:10 am »

The Queers are a fantastic punk band from NH.  Celtic punk is certainly popular in most of NH, especially Boston's Dropkick Murphys but Flogging Molly is also popular.  I really enjoy Boston's Street Dogs.  Shows tend to be near Manchester or near Portsmouth and all over MA.  The MA stop on the Warped Tour tends to be one of the biggest stops on the whole tour; in fact, Warped Tour used to do two stops in MA.

There are tons of young liberty lovers moving to NH, especially in Keene and near Manchester.

There is tons of activism all over southern NH from Keene to Rochester and Concord to Nashua.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:01:05 am »

There's no doubt that Portsmouth has a great live music scene, but I haven't seen too much of that punk rock--actually none, now that I think of it.  Manchester is the undisputed art/music capitol of New Hampshire, and seems to have more culture than any other town by far, although Nashua has got a great scene and a great nightlife.

Being a vocal proponent of Seabrook, I have to admit that there is a pretty quiet nightlife, though things sure do stay open late here--for running errands and grabbing fast food.  It's almost 3am, right now, and I could probably grab something in town.  The only thing that I can say about Seabrook, though, is that its close proximity to the border gives you quick, easy access to North Shore (Amesbury, Newburyport, etc) which does offer a great nightlife, also attributing to the fact that the bars in Mass can stay open until 2am.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

PorcupineSteve76

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 02:02:20 am »

Too really know some good, punk/indie/harcore bands around the state, just talk to the locals. I know a few local band members from the Portsmouth area who play small gigs around Rochester, Dover and other areas on the Seacoast. Alot of it from what I know is more local, so just get out and talk to some of the local people in the area.

PorcupineSteve76

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 02:08:28 am »

As far as just some of the younger activism, I would say around Keene and/or Manchester, depends on the type "activism" you are looking for. It's pretty spread out....just need to respond to your needs and wants. Want too live by water? Mountains? Rolling hills "per se"? Hows about next too a lake? Maybe a centralized location (Manchester is best for that)? I picked the seacoast because I love the ocean and its warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer (most times...lol), but also I used to sleep on the beaches in California when you were permitted. No matter where you go, we can always stay in touch and get together with others who are like minded. Shit, I'm always up for some good punk rock and alcohol (my thing)!

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:01:30 am »

I think Manchester is your best bet.  There are lots of free staters your age.  I'm one of them.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

TANSTAAFL76

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 03:24:56 pm »

What, no one is going to give him crap for ending a sentence with a preposition?  I'm losing faith in the interwebs  ;)
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 03:29:55 pm »

What, no one is going to give him crap for ending a sentence with a preposition?  I'm losing faith in the interwebs  ;)

<ahem>

It's spelled "teh interwebZ"
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 01:14:20 pm »

I think Manchester is your best bet.  There are lots of free staters your age.  I'm one of them.
x1

There's more going on in Manchester than anywhere else, by far.  I don't know of a single style of activism that isn't well represented there.  There are also more freestaters and friends living in that town than any other, and a higher concentration of people.  The nightlife, sports, pubs, and the number of porc manors out there have all contributed to making it a destination of a lot of new movers--freestater or not.

Point being that there is also a lot going on in Hampton Beach, Portsmouth, Dover, and a few other areas.  Still, there seems to be Event Parking in the way almost every night in summer time.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Brettp76

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 08:26:26 pm »

There's a solid group of 20-something Free Staters in Nashua and a growing liberty activist organization in the Coalition for Limited Government - Nashua. I'm not an expert on punk rock (more of a hip hop fan) but the proximity to Boston clearly has an affect on the arts/cultural scene as well. Given the short drive to Manchester, Nashua activists routinely make it up for Taproom Tuesday's and MVP (Merrimack Valley Porcupine) meetings too.

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." Ayn Rand

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 11:05:49 pm »

it is funny how some people think that all of us freestaters are the same

this guy is so different than i am

i did not visit NH during a primary .... in fact I hate them and don't participate in them
i did not hesitate to join the fsp
i am getting to be an old guy
i don't like much punk music
i definitely like peace and quiet and have no idea where the punk scene could be found
i also am not a motivated political activist

but I do hang out with lots of cool younger fsp movers ... and hopefully will see you soon

you will like the gang in any of our cities .... maybe find a job first and then hook up with the crowd in that city
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up