Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new participant  (Read 3967 times)

Archon

new participant
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:03:02 am »

Hello everyone,
I'm a poor college student and I'm trying to determine the viability of a porc-fest trip.

Maybe I'm just a dumb head, but I read the FAQ and I'm still curious about some random stuff...

• What are the actual costs, how much do people spend on the trip(food, ice-capades, logging, actives,)?
    You have to pay to register to go, but that is separate from the actual campground, that's a different registration?
    How far from different points of NY is the camp ground?
    I like showering.
    What are the demographics?  Mostly "fight the tyranny of shaving" bearded-old-libertarians or primarily a family affair?
    are there adjunct activities for an astoundingly immature 24 year old?
    What % of time will be wasted on lecturing, debating, and convincing when people don't understand my sardonic statements like:
    "My favorite movies are Hero and Bring It On 2" or "Hey those Nazis had a pretty good system"
    The site seems to say porcupine fest is a weekend jaunt, why do lots of people seem to be listing week long activities?
    I've never shot a real gun before...  Is there a gun range or something, how does that work?

Thank you for your time in reading and responding.
Love,
Archon/Dan

TEBON

Re: new participant
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:12:52 pm »

sounds like you might like those who fight the tyranny of shaving.  I'm growing mine out again.  I think you'll find a lot of people who also enjoy showering as well.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:35:41 pm »

• What are the actual costs, how much do people spend on the trip(food, ice-capades, logging, actives,)?
Figure
$25 a night on campground.. maybe share a site and get it to $12.50.. there is a thread for that.
Then  you need food.  Figure $25 a day.
Much of the rest if no charge.

You have to pay to register to go, but that is separate from the actual campground, that's a different registration?
Yes see above.

What part of NY?
Figure 4-5 hours depends on where.
maybe 6-7 hours
I like showering.

Good.
What are the demographics?  Mostly "fight the tyranny of shaving" bearded-old-libertarians or primarily a family affair?
It is actually the broad range.
lots of family.
Some grayhairs
Lots of 20somethings.
What % of time will be wasted on lecturing, debating, and convincing when people don't understand my sardonic statements like:
"My favorite movies are Hero and Bring It On 2" or "Hey those Nazis had a pretty good system

LOTS.  Especially at night when people are drinking.  Figure 10% during the day.  50% at night.
But you don't have to explain lots of stuff. you will be arguing over libertarian hairsplitting.

The site seems to say porcupine fest is a weekend jaunt, why do lots of people seem to be listing week long activities?

Main stuff starts Thursday.. .some people make a whole week of it.

I've never shot a real gun before...  Is there a gun range or something, how does that work?

I know that some people are trying to get an appleseed shoot for Thursday Friday.. $70 is the fee for that.

There may be people trying to get a shoot going.

Welcome to the forum!

[/quote]

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »

Use 10 Rogers Campground Rd Lancaster, NH 03584 as a point to Google Map (or whatever program works for you).   That should let you answer any variation.

See also http://www.rogerscampground.com/ for facilities questions, if you haven't looked at that already.

Welcome to the forum.

Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:02:42 am »

I appreciate the feedback,

I'll see if I can wrangle up some of my friends and make it a group trip

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 07:16:09 am »

you will be surrounded by immature 18-30 year olds
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

lloydbob1

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:30:19 am »

I'm hurt that I was excluded from that!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:07:22 am »

you will be surrounded by immature 18-80 year olds

there Lloyd... fixed it for you.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 06:21:24 pm »

Everything in between, and beyond.

Paintball, poker, bands and drinking. We could put together a potato sack race or egg toss?

What % of time will be wasted on lecturing, debating, and convincing

Wasted? What kind of libertarian are you?  ;D

There's an Appleseed event but you'd need to sign up ahead of time and bring your own/ borrow a rifle. Aside from that, I'm pretty sure Kate is putting together a shoot for newbies. Many porcupines bring a selection of firearms and would probably be happy to show them off/ let you shoot them.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

Alex Free Market

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 10:26:59 am »

(1)

(2) You have to pay to register to go, but that is separate from the actual campground, that's a different registration?

(3) How far from different points of NY is the camp ground?

(4) I like showering.

(5) What are the demographics?  Mostly "fight the tyranny of shaving" bearded-old-libertarians or primarily a family affair?

(6) What % of time will be wasted on lecturing, debating,

(7) The site seems to say porcupine fest is a weekend jaunt, why do lots of people seem to be listing week long activities?

(-8) I've never shot a real gun before...  Is there a gun range or something, how does that work?

Archon/Dan
(1) I'm not good budgeting my money.  I usually spend more than I need to because I like to load up on camping junk whenever I go... Typically I spend $375 for the trip....  and that covers my gas, the tent site, food for the whole time, and some miscellaneous camping junk I usually end up buying.

However, if you are good at budgeting money and can raid your food pantry at home... you can probably make the trip happen for $150 or less (it depends how many days you want to stay at the campground.  It is $25 - $27 a night, depending if you want a tent site with water and electric, or not).

As an aside, you can probably make it their and back on almost one full tank of gas.... so figure your gas costs at around $55 tops... which should get you a full tank... and then maybe an extra $5 or $10 on the way home... depending on how far west you live in New York.

(2) The registration for the even is separate from the campground.  When you check in at the campground... Once you are checked in, and you set up your tent.... you will see the registration area.... and also... there are helpful people all over who are very happy to guide and direct you as to all the where, whys, and hows, etc...

(3) I come from Long Island, so it's roughly six hours for me.  It probably would take seven or eight hours max, from the westernmost point of NY... but if you live towards the middle or towards the Vermont border, it might take you no more than three to six hours.

Sounds like a big trip.... not really.  You pack your stuff the prior day, have it reading to go in the morning.  Get up early, 5 or 6 in the morning and be off.  You'll be at the campground just after lunch time, and just in time to check in.

(4) Showering... no problem.  The campground at Rogers has two bathrooms with an adequate ratio of shower stalls to campers (which as an aside, I think Rogers was slightly better than at Gunstock last year, where the showers often had short to medium sized lines in the mornings).  Water, nice and hot.  No worries.

(5) The age ranges represented are people of all ages, pretty much.    The teenager demographic is slightly lacking... which I think could be boosted a bit...... but the early 20's range is fairly well represented.   Another thing to kind of note is, you'll find people of all ranges to be ready to be goofy and party.... so don't be too surprised when you get there and you see 40 to 60 year old guys acting goofy... and getting back to being a kid at heart, if only for the time they are there. 

(6) Well, I'm not really sure how you would measure percentages.... but I will just say that it is a fairly small percent and is confined to just a few days, and even then, only a few hours on those few days.

The Liberty Forum in February is more about serious speeches, and "intellectual stuff," if one was interested in that.

The events are largely just optional, and many veterans of the events consider them somewhat perfunctory.    The lectures are kind of "preaching to the choir," and we've all kind of heard it before and agree with most of it... so people are not so much showing up to be "wow'ed" by rousing speeches.    People often show up as a courtesy to support and respect for the speakers who had the bravery to get up there in front of a crowd to speak their peace, but it's not like mandatory that you have to go to anything.    You are free to chill out at the campground as much as you like.

(7) Take note of this part.  Important.   The event is listed as being like Thursday to Sunday.  That is the "official" sort of date of the event, strictly on paper.... be aware... in reality, many [participants actually choose to show up for nearly an entire week, many days early... There are people who actually show up the weekend before, or come on Monday... and during the whole week, people do stuff.   

(-8) They do do something with shooting guns.   You might have to ask others on that one though....  Last time, I wanted to go shoot, but ended up missing it.   I'm sure they will have it again this time.  It will probably be at an outdoor site.

One of the little flaws of the event is that the informal events are a bit disorganized.  A lot of things are not listed officially on paper with a time the event is occuring, per se'... You kind of need to ask around and actually talk to people.   That was part of my problem, I idin't talk to people to ask when the various events were going to be... so I missed out on a few things I wanted to do.  If something interests you... ask around there... people will tell you.[/list]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:06:57 am by Alex Free Market »
It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood; if they be repealed or revised before they are promulgated, or undergo such incessant changes that no man, who knows what the law is to-day, can guess what it will be to-morrow. - James Madison, The Federalist No. 62
Pages: [1]   Go Up