Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sign these people up  (Read 3944 times)

TomAlciere

Sign these people up
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:01:38 am »

They won't be whining about cold new Hampshire winters!

http://newsminer.com/news/2009/apr/30/fairbanks-gun-rights-group-grows-leary-federal-gov/

Fairbanks gun rights group grows leery of federal government

By Chris Freiberg

Published Thursday, April 30, 2009

FAIRBANKS — The Second Amendment Task Force began a little less than three months ago when more than 100 people crowded into the Fairbanks Denny’s restaurant to discuss perceived threats to gun rights and personal liberty.

At the time, the man who called the meeting, 25-year-old Schaeffer Cox, off-handedly remarked that if the group kept growing, it might have to rent out the Carlson Center. On Wednesday night, the group did just that, when it hosted a “Freedom Fest,” a three-hour event that was part gun show, part rally for conservative issues.

A handful of booths at the festival sold guns and knives, while most touted issues such as jury nullification and homeschooling. Groups such as the Interior Alaska Conservative Coalition and the Alaskan Independence Party set up tables.

But the big draw of the event were two state legislators from Montana, Sen. Jack Wells and former Rep. Rick Jore. The men were just two of the architects of the Montana Firearms Freedom Act, a bill that contends firearms built and maintained in Montana are not subject to federal restrictions.

A similar bill has passed the Alaska House and is due to head to the Senate next year.

What the pair, who also has championed issues such as state’s rights and jury nullification, said worries them most is the federal government’s stimulus spending. They said the money forces states to do what the federal government wants and puts an undue burden on future generations.

“We’ve forgotten the Constitution as a society and wonder how it could possibly be that we as a nation are willing to enslave our children through deficit spending,” said Jore, the vice chairman of Montana’s Constitution Party. “I would argue that our founders’ definition of economic stimulus would be to get up and go to work every day.”

Jore said he became concerned when he found out that many of his fellow legislators never read the Constitution, and he went on to call for the abolition of federal programs not explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, such as the Department of Education.

Wells, a Republican, warned about the federal government’s profiling of right-wing extremists through a report issued earlier this month by the Department of Homeland Security, which stated that war veterans or those dedicated to a single issue such as abortion or gun rights may be recruited into groups planning violent attacks.

“If any of those things concern you, you’re a potential right-wing whacko,” he said to cheers. “Is anyone here not an extremist?”

Cox, who calls the Second Amendment Task Force more of a “movement” than a group, warned that the federal government has overextended itself and is at a tipping point where either the U.S. will go bankrupt or possibly become less of a world power. That sentiment was shared by Wells.

“I think it’s going to continue to get worse in this country and something serious is going to happen,” he said. “I don’t know if the people are going to rise up or we’re going to go bankrupt, but something is going to happen.”

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
Re: Sign these people up
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:51:24 pm »

Sign em up for what?

charles3330

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 05:40:10 pm »

I think he meant that they should be recruited for fsp

MTPorcupine3

• Sovereign Solutions: Free State Project
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:04:21 pm »

Rick Jore was my very first interviewee for my community access TV show ¨Sovereign Solutions¨. Do a Google video search and you´ll find it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up