Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Swiftest Route for Canadians and Mexicans: TN/NAFTA Visas  (Read 11616 times)

Ferg

• FSP Participant
    • Pelican Institute for Public Policy

I recently arrived in Canada, from New Zealand, and I've been looking at how to migrate to the US - preferably without going through the usual heavy application-fees and pain-in-the-ass interviews.

I've just found what I consider to be the most convenient way, by far. Those with Canadian or Mexican citizenship and who fit the list of professions here can gain three-year work eligibility with virtually automatic extensions, by way of the TN Visa (from NAFTA): http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/nafta_professions.asp

All one needs to do is obtain a letter from an employer confirming a job offer, bring evidence of professional qualification(s) and citizenship, and pay $50 at the border (no fees, paperwork, or interviews prior to entry).

Here is the wikipedia site, which seems to fit with the US Consulate information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TN_status

Fortunately, I have Canadian citizenship, so all I have to do now is find an employer willing to hire me under the title of "economist," "technical publications writer," or "research assistant." Anyone with suggestions on suitable employers in NH, don't hesitate to PM me.  :)

MikeKetelaars

Re: The Swiftest Route for Canadians and Mexicans: TN/NAFTA Visas
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 05:20:20 pm »

That's awesome.

I'm a Canadian from London Ontario and I am pretty annoyed at the direction our country is heading in. I'm a graphic/web designer or a marketing professional with an extremely strong interest in economics and politics (weird combo eh?)

I've definitely been interested in getting out of this country as it's been going in the wrong direction for quite some time now. I appreciate the homework you've done here and will start my journey in finding a job in NH. I'll post any milestones to this page.

Thanks again

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:22:35 pm »

That's awesome.

I'm a Canadian from London Ontario and I am pretty annoyed at the direction our country is heading in. I'm a graphic/web designer or a marketing professional with an extremely strong interest in economics and politics (weird combo eh?)

I've definitely been interested in getting out of this country as it's been going in the wrong direction for quite some time now. I appreciate the homework you've done here and will start my journey in finding a job in NH. I'll post any milestones to this page.

Thanks again

welcome

And we can always use graphic design help if you want to volunteer....

MikeKetelaars

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:18:08 am »

Awesome - feel free to let me know how I can help.

Ferg

• FSP Participant
    • Pelican Institute for Public Policy
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 05:41:07 pm »

Wow, a couple of years have now passed since I posted that, and I've renewed my TN twice :). (Initially, they only gave me a one year visa, but my latest one has three years.)

Mike, did we meet at one of the ILS meetings in Ontario? I'm Fergus, the guy originally from New Zealand.

Alex Libman

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 06:12:57 pm »

This is awesome!

I just wish more countries were included in this - not just Canada and Mexico, but the upper 50 of the Economic Freedom Index.

Dean Tea

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:10:09 am »

So, Ferg, did you end up getting to New Hampshire? I'm in Ontario and have been trying to figure out how to get to NH permanently, but I don't fit the professional requirements of the NAFTA work permit...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything