Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay and Lesbian Acceptance  (Read 9993 times)

eileenwilson47

Re: Gay and Lesbian Acceptance
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 12:12:24 am »

I know of another lesbian couple  moving from CA to NH.

I know of a few gay couples in my town.  Morons will make a few jokes but most people are fine with it.

If you shoot... you will fit run in with all of us.   :)

Welcome to the site and feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

I 2nd that the 'seacoast' is probably more tolerant.

Ex Californian here.  (and I LOVE it here in NH)

Ex Californian huh?  Nice!  Good to know!  Thank you all for your replies and support!  We are really considering this move.  Probably won't be for about a year or so.

eileenwilson47

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 12:13:27 am »

Hi there :)  I have lots of people who post on my posts on a regular basis and I've fairly certain they know that I'm a girl with a girlfriend....

so people here are pretty friendly.  I haven't made the move yet, but I can't wait!

Excellent! 

eileenwilson47

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 12:32:04 am »

Thanks for all the info guys!

So, any advice if we were to come visit?  Places to check out? 

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 08:31:16 am »

That's such a good price!  We're probably looking at something under 300k tho. 

If you're willing to have roomies/tenants, that might help. The basement has one room that's almost a master, and there's a large open room that could work for two people. Those two are currently being rented out at $550 and $700. The basement can be almost a separate apartment.

Some of the current tenants would love to stay here, so you would certainly fill whatever rooms you wanted. Here's the PorcManor.com page for the house: Little Minnesota
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

eileenwilson47

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 09:10:52 am »

That's such a good price!  We're probably looking at something under 300k tho. 

If you're willing to have roomies/tenants, that might help. The basement has one room that's almost a master, and there's a large open room that could work for two people. Those two are currently being rented out at $550 and $700. The basement can be almost a separate apartment.

Some of the current tenants would love to stay here, so you would certainly fill whatever rooms you wanted. Here's the PorcManor.com page for the house: Little Minnesota

Awesome....we may.  We're so used to living by ourselves lately though.  But, if it helps with rent!  :)

eileenwilson47

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 09:11:56 am »

I know of another lesbian couple  moving from CA to NH.

I know of a few gay couples in my town.  Morons will make a few jokes but most people are fine with it.

If you shoot... you will fit run in with all of us.   :)

Welcome to the site and feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

I 2nd that the 'seacoast' is probably more tolerant.

Ex Californian here.  (and I LOVE it here in NH)

Where did you live in CA and where do you live now in NH if you don't mind me asking?

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 07:23:25 pm »

Welcome. If you guys were to get in at Deerfield, that would be amazing. I can hardly imagine a place on the continent where you'd be more at home.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

rabbit20

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 08:54:48 pm »

Welcome. If you guys were to get in at Deerfield, that would be amazing. I can hardly imagine a place on the continent where you'd be more at home.

What is the job market up that north?
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
  --  Thomas Jefferson
http://pledgebank.com/Next1000
http://nhliberty.org
http://cafepress.com/ridleyreport
http://www.oathkeepers.org

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 09:47:40 pm »

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the general population's take on LGBT?  I dont care about the politics, ya know?  We just don't want to have rude service, no friends or whatever..ya know?

As others have noted, there are idiots anywhere (we have neighbors who think Huckabee was too liberal, but felt that all the other presidential candidates were worse, for example).  However, they're in the minority, and not enough to worry about.  My wife worked with the Pink Pages (GLBT-friendly business directory) folks for a while, and I believe she still has a stack of old books - a lot of local businesses advertise.  I would assume that some percentage of them may not actually like homosexuals, but that's not going to stop them from being polite and taking your money... Yankees are practical that way.

The general Seacoast area is probably a good bet.  Depending upon who's drawing the map, that may include towns like Deerfield (where Ron's house is) and Northwood (where I live).  The Deerfield/Epsom/Northwood triagle is home to several Porcupines, and is generally a pretty nice place to live.  It's not far from anywhere, but it's not close to anywhere, either.  I live in a town of 3000, but I can drive 20 minutes and be in Concord, 30 minutes and be in Dover, 40 minutes and be in Portsmouth or Manchester.  And hour will get me to pretty much anywhere on the coast, or down to Nashua, or up to the Lakes region.  An hour and a half will bring in Keene and Hanover/Lebanon.

So, I can live in a nice, small town where I worry if I go a day without hearing gunfire (because that would mean my neighbors aren't practicing enough), but I can visit the overwhelming majority of the population of the state, without having to expend any great amount of time in travel.  Northwood is also "antique alley," so there are a lot of artisans and the like.

Ron's house is certainly a nice option.  If that's beyond your budget, there are a number of places around this area (and other areas).  Once you do settle on a region, it's a good idea to post in the Moving and Housing sub-forum and ask about it, as folks who actually live there may know of particular deals that may not be advertised (a lot of sellers just put a sign in the yard, rather than actually hiring a Realtor, so those houses won't appear in the real estate listings).

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

eileenwilson47

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 10:38:24 pm »

From what I've seen, I quite like Deerfild and the way it looks :)  Thank you!  We are jazzed.  So far we've planned to move at or around this time next year, contingent on us saving our money just right! :)

Thank you all for your help!  I love this idea of having a free state of free people and free thinkers! 

eileenwilson47

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 10:42:15 pm »

MaineShark,

Thank you so much for the info, your local seems ideal.  I would definitely want to be close to Concord, only because I'm thinking I'll have the best bet of finding a job in the major cities, but far enough away to, as you said, hear people practicing with their guns!  Only if CA was like that!!!  But CA isnt a free state :)

Thank you again for the info.

eileenwilson47

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 11:01:31 pm »

I just want to say thank you again to everyone who has given me their opinions and information on this subject and NH in general. 

Everyone seems like great people and I'm excited at the thought of calling NH my home and the Porcupines my friends!

My gf and I both signed up on the FSP site today to move by the end of next year.

I think the time for us to act is now.  We decided today that we can sit in CA and complain about the government or we can do something to make ourselves more free.... we decided to be free!  I'm hoping that FSP gains much more than 20k participants and we're planning tentatively to move around this time next year!  The trigger is going to be when we feel that we have enough money to make the move (i.e. saving about 6 month's worth of salary to live on just in case).

Live free or DIE!  ;D

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 11:15:04 pm »

Alright!  ;D  Welcome to both of you!
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 05:37:17 am »

Where did you live in CA and where do you live now in NH if you don't mind me asking?

I lived in Culver City for 8 years and then the Bay area for 1.5 years (I found out about the FSP right after I moved to SF)..no regrets on leaving CA.

eileenwilson47

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 12:33:56 pm »

I lived in Culver City for 8 years and then the Bay area for 1.5 years (I found out about the FSP right after I moved to SF)..no regrets on leaving CA.

ah ok! no regrets!  i love it! 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up