Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: "This movement is Snowballing, More in Keene, than Anywhere."  (Read 34625 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: "This movement is Snowballing, More in Keene, than Anywhere."
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2009, 04:10:32 am »

Several seacoasters are saying this at meetups. A few have even voiced similar opinions on this forum. The fact that three major areas are now seeing increased migration (Merrimack Valley, Cheshire County, and the seacoast region) is fantastic.  The fact that each region (and even each town) is attracting a completely different kind of activist.

Anton, what I actually said was high profile CD probably wouldn't go over very well on the coast.  You can reread my original post.  There are many different types of activism, and different type of civil disobedience.  The response you get from locals has a lot to do with what you are doing when you get arrested.  I like to do volunteer work or litter pick up when I'm doing CD.  If the cops arrest you while you're being a boyscout, they look really bad, and fence sitters get ticked off at them.  If you were to break a different law--say, carrying a nuclear bomb naked around with you at the base of a hydroelectric dam while singing "O' Canada"--there will probably be less sympathy for you or your cause.  If you are arrested for jaywalking while running across the street to save a cubscout and his puppy from an oncoming truck, the arresting cop is going to be about as popular as a dead skunk at the Perfume Smelling National Championship.  The difference, of course, is what the cops are arresting you for.  Different types of CD have a different effects on public opinion.

If the target law is marijuana, one might look for medical marijuana patients who are being denied the use of something that helps keep down life saving medication.  If you supply sick and dying AIDS patients with small amounts of bud, the cops look "dubby-ous" putting you in the back of a police car--potentially leading to Grandma's untimely death.

Each town is home to many different kinds of activism.  Each affects public opinion and the political process in a different way.  I am not in an "attack mindset." I am merely stating facts, opinions, perceptions, and statistics that I believe are useful to deciding which efforts are likely to be most helpful.  If others want to make public attacks, they're voicing their own views.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2009, 06:55:52 am »

Each town is home to many different kinds of activism. 

Right so let people move to Keene in peace.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2009, 07:07:38 am »

and by some you mean one. :P

Well uh, I wasn't go there but...  ;D ;)

TEBON

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 04:57:07 am »

I should have refrained from saying Seacoasters, what I should have said was "some" seacoasters. 

and by some you mean one. :P

pretty much. 

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2009, 07:16:43 pm »

Each town is home to many different kinds of activism. 

Right so let people move to Keene in peace.

People can go wherever they want.  I've been asked by several new folks--online, in person, by phone, email--what are the pros and cons of different areas, or what town I would recommend.  For folks mentioning night life, great downtown areas, sports, and constant things to do, I've mentioned Manchester and Portsmouth--or adjacent towns.  For those who need to find work right away, the Merrimack Valley is pretty good, but the seacoast is best.  For those who have an unusual degree or field, the seacoast offers access to Boston-Portland marketplace for jobs.  Some folks want a wide variety of natural foods stores, while others just want somewhere cheap with broadband.  Some folks like local activism, while others spend their time at the State House.  Still others are looking for swing voting districts so that they can have the greatest influence on state races.  For others, it's media, recruiting, protests, open carry, making youtube vids, etc...  Some want to debate, grab attention, win arguments, experiment with new forms of activism, start businesses, and a hundred other types of activities.

All of those issues will affect each person's own "which town" decision;  but read the OP, and read the title.  Read what's stated on the first page.  We have over 700 movers and hundreds of superactivists.  We have a couple thousand locals who we're working with who are amazing, and we have dozens of local groups all over the state working on a hundred different types of efforts, and there's no way that anyone could possibly keep up with it all.  I've repeated what locals, themselves, have said about various towns, as much as my own impressions.  I don't "attack" other people, nor do I make things up.  I give information, as well as statistical comparisons of various towns.  The info I've gotten from long time locals has helped immensely, and I've found that the info they've given has been more accurate than anyone else's stats.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

TEBON

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2009, 04:38:40 am »

INHO, if you want freedom it's not going to be the Seacoast that gets it first.  I'm moving away from the area because there's not a lot happening here in Seabrook. 

I suggest the same to others who are looking for real freedom.  I suggest Keene or Grafton.   Seabrook has its fair share of "Busy Body" mentality that I witnessed YET AGAIN firsthand yesterday.  I am convinced the overwhelming majority of people in Seabrook are truly statists.

freedomroad

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2009, 06:01:55 am »

I suggest the same to others who are looking for real freedom.  I suggest Keene or Grafton. 

What does real freedom mean to you?  Keene has just about the highest taxes and regulations of anywhere in NH; whereas, Grafton has near the lowest.

TEBON

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2009, 04:30:53 am »

taxes can be fixed by not paying them. 

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2009, 07:16:28 am »

and then the house will be taken away.

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2009, 07:32:23 am »

Not if a bunch of people stop paying.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2009, 12:30:12 pm »

Not if a bunch of people stop paying.

so you need to wait for a bunch of people who have to buy the houses.
Then you need a critical mass of people in the same town to all stop paying at the same time.

How many is 'a bunch'?  10, 20 , 30?  I don't think that many towns would have a problem taking 30 houses.

This seems more long term planning.

TANSTAAFL76

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2009, 12:49:54 pm »

And how does one go about exercising freedom from jail?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

George Donnelly

• FSP Participant
  • Moving to NH ... some day?
    • Arm your Mind for Liberty
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2009, 12:53:51 pm »

probably need less people to make a difference with a tax protest than you do to win enough elections to make a difference. ;)

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2009, 03:12:47 pm »

They may have no problem taking them on paper, but when they have to throw families from their homes in front of dozens of activists with video cameras, they may think twice.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2009, 03:16:58 pm »

And how does one go about exercising freedom from jail?
you can find that in a few history books and autobiographies :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up