Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: # of Reasons to Move to Portsmouth, New Hampshire  (Read 49839 times)

MK

• AKA Markus
Re: # of Reasons to Move to Portsmouth, New Hampshire
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2009, 04:37:21 pm »

96.  www.wirenh.com

Free weekly newspaper, published each Wednesday, plus website.  I like the "calendar"  as it's a complete nightly list of all the live music and everything else going on in the area.
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2009, 10:58:51 pm »

I think the easiest way to differentiate would be the NHLA ratings.
Some municipalities do not have their own rep, but that could be taken into consideration.

I recently spoke with Jack Thorsen, who has run for State Rep in Portsmouth, and he assured me that the town has never put out a Rep with a better than a D grade.  That's pretty disappointing, though Jack has won a lot of votes (over 3600) and has come close to winning there.  We recognized earlier in this effort that, if we could just get each district's Reps up by about ten percentage points, that we could start getting more bad laws and taxes repealed than passed.  The legislative average for the State House was 41% back then.  Today, it's 37%, I believe.

Portsmouth's district has seven Reps, and it would not be extremely difficult for the folks up there to convince, vote out, and primary their way an extra 10-15 points.  The locals in Portsmouth are lefties, but they're generally more proliberty and anti-war than many of the Mass/New York libs, and these folks are more "convince-able."  That's a pretty good reason to move to Portsmouth.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

live_freeze_anddie

• NH Long time Resident/Property Owner/Taxpayer
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2009, 11:55:18 am »

coat of arms
gilly's

can't believe no one mentioned these two yet!

HAHA Gilly's is as historic as Strawberry Banke, no doubt.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.  ~Thomas Paine

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2009, 07:01:47 pm »

91.  Portsmouth cops don't carry/use Tazers.

This is inaccurate, Portsmouth cops DO carry Tazers.  They carry them opposite side of their handgun in the front and I guess I just missed seeing them do to their location. 

91.  Portsmouth is the most haunted city in New Hampshire (second only to Salem, MA in all of New England).
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2009, 11:47:28 am »

Most haunted?  I would see this a reason not to move there!

Or perhaps, it should simply be called a "challenge."

;D
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2009, 02:41:06 pm »

Most haunted?  I would see this a reason not to move there!

Or perhaps, it should simply be called a "challenge."

;D

I know lots of kids are afraid of ghosts but the stories I've become familiar with are all of "peaceful ghosts" so you don't have nothing to worry about.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2009, 11:51:48 pm »

97.  Forbes Traveler in Oct. 2009 recently named Portsmouth one of "America's Prettiest Townsl."   

http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-lists/americas-prettiest-towns-2009-slide-15.html?thisSpeed=25000

Urban designer Glanz, of the Calthorpe Associates architectural firm, describes this historic southern New Hampshire port town as "both a functioning modern community and a museum piece. Brick buildings, many of them original to the era of the tall ships, line small streets and alleys. Yet many of those same buildings house high-tech businesses and start-ups."

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2009, 10:21:36 pm »

98. Schools

Daniel Webster College    http://www.dwc.edu/:

Great Bay Community College   http://www.greatbay.edu/?pg=registrar

Hesser College      http://portsmouth.hesser.edu/Pages/Homepage.aspx

Here's a link to more schools in Portsmouth as well as the greater area   http://portsmouth.nh.regentsdegrees.org/

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2010, 10:27:34 am »

99.  Portsmouth is the hub of the metropolitan region that includes the cities of Rochester, Dover, Exeter, Hampton, Greenland, Stratham, 
      Newington, and Rye, N.H.; across the river in Maine is Kittery, Eliot, South Berwick and York, plus others.

Portsmouth is officially 21,000 people, but with all the shopping/restaurant/entertainment options in Portsmouth and Newington, it reminds me of what one would find in a city
      of over a million residents (but without traffic).

joanb

« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2010, 01:33:19 pm »

Don't know if you care about this but there are fenced as well a unleashed dog parks here. There is currently no dog park in Manchester but we are trying hard to get one in. 

If you make a large purchase at the Kittery Trading Post, just across the bridge, such as a gun, they will not charge sales tax and will deliver it over the NH border for you. They have a driver that does nothing but run guns a couple miles down the road to NH. So you buy the gun and you  meet the guy when you leave the store. Pretty cool I think.

etc

« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2010, 11:55:14 pm »

Number one question is, is it expensive?   I would think so.  How is the IT job market there?

I would prefer something north-west to keep the price down.
New Hampshire Charter: Considering with ourselves the holy will of God and our own necessity, that we should not live without wholesome laws and civil government among us, of which we are altogether destitute, do, in the name of Christ and in the sight of God, combine ourselves together to erect and set up among us such governments as shall be, to our best discerning, agreeable to the will of God.

freedomroad

« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2010, 11:57:20 pm »

Number one question is, is it expensive?   I would think so.  How is the IT job market there?

The Portsmouth area is one of the most expensive in NH.  But you still can find rooms for $500 a month plus 1/2 of the utilities.  North of Portsmouth is even less expensive.  The IT market is decent.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2010, 09:33:26 am »

I'd say it's most likely THE most expensive city to live in, in NH, however like Keith said, you can still find housing, but I can't emphasize enough about considering the towns/cities that neighbor Portsmouth as they more affordable and quite nice places to live as well, all with Portsmouth in your backyard.

MK

• AKA Markus

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2010, 10:55:27 am »

100/A.  One of the oldest, one of kind Downtown city centers in America, located next to water, (similar to Europeon cities, especially in the warmer months, as there is outdoor seating in front of every coffee shop/restaurant), ALL brick built (after an early fire, the city center was rebuilt only with bricks), winding narrow streets, side alleys lined with businesses, live music every night of the year, historic buildings everywhere, very walking friendly, the city is an international tourist destination in warmer months and finally, a city loaded with peaceful liberty lovers.

100/B.  When a Free Stater brought a handgun to Obama's Town Hall Meeting, the Portsmouth Police Chief called the Church neighboring the High School's property and asked if our friend could stand on church property and keep his gun.  The answer was yes.   When I talked to a Portsmouth cop a month later regarding this event, he said:  "We're not afraid of guns.  This is NH and it's the law" that citizens shall be allowed to carry firearms.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up