Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: # of Reasons to Move to Portsmouth, New Hampshire  (Read 51439 times)

MK

• AKA Markus
Re: # of Reasons to Move to Portsmouth, New Hampshire
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2009, 10:10:08 am »

The Portsmouth Police are cool.  (Well, if personal opinions count - two interactions, one an auto break-down, one a property dispute - in both cases, perfect behavior from the cops. They just do their job).

Better than most American cops.

But why NOT come to Portsmouth? Two reasons: (And, I love Portsmouth... way too much)

1) It gets crowded. Tourist town, especially in summer... people swarm.

2) It gets really crowded. Sometimes. Beaches, mainly. May as well stay home and watch the Beach Channel.

(Yes, I realize that was the same reason twice.)

86.  The electricity and features of the city make people swarm to it.  :)

PS: Vexer, I've been on one of the "well attended" beaches you're talking about and surprisingly, the extreme ROAR of the waves crashing the beach drowns out the people sounds and if you close your eyes under a beach umbrella ,you will certainly feel like you're alone (and probably asleep on the quickl) as the sounds of the ocean WILL knock you out! :)

PSS: There are also MANY other places you can stop (not main beaches) alongside the ocean and get your own "private" beach.
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2009, 10:12:52 am »

87.  Living in New Hampshire, but being able to pick up and enjoy radio stations in both Portland, Maine and Boston, Massachusetts.
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2009, 10:11:58 am »

88.  Rye Airfield.  New Englands premier Indoor Skate Park and BMX Track, 50,000 square feet, located in Rye, 11 minutes or about 5 miles south of Portsmouth.

http://www.ryeairfield.com/

Vexer

« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2009, 02:58:23 am »

Markus

PS: Vexer, I've been on one of the "well attended" beaches you're talking about and surprisingly, the extreme ROAR of the waves crashing the beach drowns out the people sounds and if you close your eyes under a beach umbrella ,you will certainly feel like you're alone (and probably asleep on the quickl) as the sounds of the ocean WILL knock you out!

I’m glad that you feel that. Any beach is a good beach, and that's a fact.

(Edit: it's on Hampton Beach they do an annual 'sand sculpture' week. That was amazing. Never seen anything like that before. Me and the 7000 other tourists).

Hampton, and on south; and up to York (Maine) etc., all beaches around there have a gently shelving beach. 98% of the time there are no waves, no roar (well, perhaps 'roar' is a relative term). Wide, gentle beaches with way too many overly-optimistic (and slightly posing) surfers.

Granted, once a year the cold Atlantic goes stone-throwing ship-sinking wave-crazy… but mostly…

Markus, I’d like to take you to some real waves one day.

Another thing I like about Portsmouth: there's almost no Graffiti. I mean spray-painted pollution. There's too much of that in my town. It's  a social indicator.

(And the amazing annual Sand Sculpture Event. You will be amazed).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:07:31 am by Vexer »

TEBON

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2009, 04:48:51 am »

There should be good waves this weekend!

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2009, 07:17:49 am »

Markus

Markus, I’d like to take you to some real waves one day.

I used to live in Oahu and spend time on the North Shore. 

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2009, 02:05:06 pm »

Unique businesses also make for good Reasons to Move to... Portsmouth has us all beat on that one.  I'm sure that you could get 40-50 Reasons just out of that one.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

TEBON

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2009, 02:38:20 pm »

Vexer, go to Salisbury Beach.  Find 3 needles.  Should take you about 3-4 minutes to do so.  Tell me Salisbury is a good beach.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2009, 07:14:47 pm »

Unique businesses are also a strong argument against strict zoning.  A lot of towns enact zoning laws that are difficult to wade through, and you end up with big chain store companies coming in and buying up commercial land for cheap.  Eventually, you're left with very few unique, local shops, and there is very little reason for consumers to travel to visit your town.

Advocates of Form Based Codes recommend throwing out all of the old zoning codes and replacing them with flexible form codes.  By allowing developers and property owners to use their property for what the marketplace prescribes (rather than what was prescribed through old Euclidean zoning back in 1963 when little was known about urban sprawl), property values have soared.

New Hampshire still has lots of these specialty stores and mixed use properties because Euclidean Zoning has only hit these towns in recent decades.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2009, 11:00:09 am »

89.  Area FSPers Home School their kids.   If you're interested in this, there's allready some FSPers home schooling their kids and so it would be very easy to plug into.   Home schooling is very popular in New Hampshire as well. 

This quote from the FSP's 101 Reasons to move to NH.

"New Hampshire has a large, politically active, and rapidly growing
homeschooling population. In 1987 there was believed to be
approximately 346 homeschooled children in NH. By 2001, that figure
had grown exponentially to over 3,600 (as reported to the Dept. of Ed."

TEBON

« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2009, 03:55:52 am »

http://antonlee.redbubble.com/sets/79589/works/3693044-2-portsmouth-banke

another reason is pretty places to take pictures.  This is an opinion only.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2009, 02:47:27 pm »

90.  Lee USA Speedway.  Nascar Track located about 15 minutes from Portsmouth.

www.leeusaspeedway.com

91.  Portsmouth cops don't carry/use Tazers.

edit: Thanks Anton, nice shot(!).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:59:17 pm by Markus »

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2009, 02:50:53 pm »

91.  Portsmouth cops don't carry/use Tazers.
Major plus^

Vexer

« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2009, 01:01:33 am »

Anton Lee is right, and locals may take it for granted, but Portsmouth is pretty pretty.

blaked

• Fellow llama
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2009, 11:09:14 am »

[quote author=Porcupine The Godful Heathen link=topic=17687.msg211230#msg211230 date=1240438023

Because my preference would be for a small town over a big town/city to live in eventually.
[/quote]

Portsmouth has 20 thousand people.  That's a modest suburb even by Ohio standards, and we get a bad rap for being hicks...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up