Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free State Music Venue  (Read 8585 times)

Karl

Re:Free State Music Venue
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2003, 08:16:26 pm »

I just can’t believe anyone could doubt that people who try currently illegal drugs are free thinkers. It’s a prerequisite for it! Try to try some new things occasionally KARL.

Nowhere have I said that there were no "free thinkers" among "drug users."  Clearly there are, but it is absurd to say that all "drug users" are also "free thinkers" as you and Radar have asserted.  Some people are just addicted or just like the drugs, but are otherwise uninterested in other issues of liberty.  Pleanty of drug users advocate various left-wing poltical views.

I live in a city where crack addicts wander the streets, then rob people to get more.  Do you think they are "free thinkers?"  A knew a guy who had a bad trip on acid, was hospitalized, and nearly died.  Perhaps he was a "free thinker."

No thank you, but I'll exercise my LIBERTY and FREE THINKING to choose NOT to try any of that stuff.

StrawberrySon

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2003, 10:08:35 am »

I'm sorry if this is considered dead, but this is my first post and I've been looking around the site all morning. This is a great opportunity for employment. Has anyone considered a larger venue? Like an outdoor amplitheatre? You could create a great multitude of jobs (concessions, marketting, security, construction, technical engeneering), have a diverse music scene, and the profit on such an amplitheatre is huge. Just thought I would throw this idea out there...

michLinoregon

• FSP Participant
  • Playing jacks in space!
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 10:39:36 pm »

Bluegrass music is a must!! Alternative and Bluegrass. I would love to live in a state that valued those music styles.

But blasting rap from your car should be illegal! HAHA!  ;D
Never give up, never surrender!

JT

• FSP Participant
  • How can someone else know what's best for you???
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2003, 08:27:27 pm »

I'm sorry if this is considered dead, but this is my first post and I've been looking around the site all morning. This is a great opportunity for employment. Has anyone considered a larger venue? Like an outdoor amplitheatre? You could create a great multitude of jobs (concessions, marketting, security, construction, technical engeneering), have a diverse music scene, and the profit on such an amplitheatre is huge. Just thought I would throw this idea out there...

A large amphitheatre would be nice, but I know next to nothing about running one.  The only experience I've had with large venues is setting up stages and running lights.  Unless the FSP has some people "in the know", I plan on starting up a relatively small club until I get comfortable with the way things are going.  Running a small club is relatively easy, but there is little profit compared to a bigger venue.  

ChrisL

• FSP Participant
  • It's good to be Queen!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 06:33:53 pm »

Hi!  Seeing as this vein is posted under business /employment I wonder why it becomes a place for moral debates.
I'm an amatuer musition who writes her own folk songs & would love the opportunity to play & sing in a venue promoted by and for porcupines.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.   J. Lennon

sean

• ...and the freedom comes in the NIGHT!
    • my resources
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2004, 04:59:06 am »

I manage a band, I would love to get them to tour new hampshire with some other free staters music projects. If anyone has a group please talk to me about it.

djentropy

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2004, 09:39:36 pm »

One thing the Free State will definitely need is a better music scene.  I've been doing some checking on WY and NH and neither state seems to be in very good shape when it comes to supporting live music.

Some enterprising porcupines could get together and build a music club or two  in the chosen state.  In NH, many bands choose to make the trek to Boston to play shows.  If we opened a club in southern NH, we could provide a place for local bands to play, make a little cash, and promote the FSP to the kids who come out to shows.  If WY if picked, Cheyenne, Casper or Laramie might be good places to start.

I've been in a band for the past 5+ years, and I'm always amazed at the number of guys I meet who are Libertarian in their way of thinking.  Granted, many of them choose not to vote, but we could help change that!  I've made some contacts in the music biz, and know a few things about running sound and a little about lighting.  Anyone interested in getting together and making this work?

YES YES YES YES YES and YES.

I have about 10 years experience in rave/club and event production, planning, and promotion.  It is my dream to own my own club, and anything close to that would be great!  

I am the DJ at the Porc Fest next month, and I have been DJing for about 10 years as well, and playing bass and guitar since 5 years before that.  I live and breathe music, and have been involved with the punk scene since the late 80s and the rave scene since the early 90s.

Here's my resume:
http://www.djentropy.com/stuff/resume/Ian_Scott_aka_DJ_Entropy_resume.doc

SOMEONE OPEN A CLUB WITH ME!  I don't have the money, but I have the know how and experience.  

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2004, 12:35:21 am »

DJ wrote

<< I am the DJ at the Porc Fest next month, and I have been DJing for about 10 years as well, and playing bass and guitar since >>

Arright there Mr. Entropy I just went by your site and d/l'd a few of your MP3's...and I think it's safe to say that after almost 2 years of looking I have finally found another free stater I might be able to do music with.    

Your stuff is great, it matches my tastes pretty much and if you like, this is what I'd like to do.

Would you mind if I dumped some lyrics and vocals  into one of your tunes?    I'm thinking of using "Spiritual Journey" and making it a Free State related story.

I'm about 25% through with the lyrics now and if you are into this idea I will  sing 'em into my audio software over the next week or two and send it to your or what not.

http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

djentropy

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2004, 12:50:09 am »

DJ wrote

<< I am the DJ at the Porc Fest next month, and I have been DJing for about 10 years as well, and playing bass and guitar since >>

Arright there Mr. Entropy I just went by your site and d/l'd a few of your MP3's...and I think it's safe to say that after almost 2 years of looking I have finally found another free stater I might be able to do music with.    

Your stuff is great, it matches my tastes pretty much and if you like, this is what I'd like to do.

Woohoo!

Would you mind if I dumped some lyrics and vocals  into one of your tunes?    I'm thinking of using "Spiritual Journey" and making it a Free State related story.

I'm about 25% through with the lyrics now and if you are into this idea I will  sing 'em into my audio software over the next week or two and send it to your or what not.

Dude, that would rock.  A vocalist is EXACTLY what I need for inspiration.  I've been having a severe lack of inspiration lately as my music tastes have been changing to more punk and pop-punk based stuff, but I still want to
 weave electronic music into it.  As you can imagine, that is hard to do without a vocalist, and I'm certainly not one.  I'm also pretty damn depressed here in Kommunist Kerry-ville (I live in central Boston), which stifles creativity quite a bit.  I would LOVE to work with you on songs.  You are just the inspiration I need.  :)

BTW, Spiritual Journey was made right after a grrl I was going out with passed away.  She was a very free spirit, and I know if she were alive today, she would love the FSP and what is was doing, and would have been a part of it.  For the lyrics to the song I made in rememberance of her to be freedom journey related would be perfect.  Email me at djentropy@mindspring.com

I look forward to working with you.  :)

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2004, 01:13:41 am »

OK DJE sit tight and I'll see what I can come up with.  You may or may not find that what I do matches what you want, but I'm glad to hear you do need vocals/lyrics.

I will say that on balance a lot of your music does not seem like it needs vocals or would benefit from me adding them.  But SJ seems to have room for them.

Very sorry to hear about your friend...that does add a whole new dimension to the tune.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2004, 01:22:55 am »

Hey DJ how tough would it be for you to make a version of that tune that is a full step higher in pitch?  

Would be a little easier for me to peg some of the bass notes I have in mind if it were.   Although pegging is not precisely the plan... I have in mind something kinda outa tune heh heh.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 01:36:19 am by Dada Orwell »

djentropy

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2004, 10:58:09 am »

OK DJE sit tight and I'll see what I can come up with.  You may or may not find that what I do matches what you want, but I'm glad to hear you do need vocals/lyrics.

I will say that on balance a lot of your music does not seem like it needs vocals or would benefit from me adding them.  But SJ seems to have room for them.

Very sorry to hear about your friend...that does add a whole new dimension to the tune.

Well, my idea was that if you have lyrics and chord progressions, I want to make new stuff for your songs.  You're correct, my current stuff doesn't cater to vocals much, because it wasn't written with vocals in mind.  However, I would like write stuff for your vocals.  Lemme know what you got.  :)

djentropy

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2004, 11:01:14 am »

Hey DJ how tough would it be for you to make a version of that tune that is a full step higher in pitch?  

Would be a little easier for me to peg some of the bass notes I have in mind if it were.   Although pegging is not precisely the plan... I have in mind something kinda outa tune heh heh.

Well, I could pitch the whole thing up, but then it's gonna be much faster.  Or I could pitch it up without changing the tempo, but then it will sound like crap from reverse timestretching.  I'd have to remake all the sounds from scratch pretty much, so see what you can do with it as is.

:)

Like I said though, if you have songs written already, I'm down to make new music for your vocals.

PS. what style of vocalist are you, btw?  Generally, anyway.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2004, 09:56:53 am »

DJ this is an unfinished (and ugly in spots) rough draft of a tune I worked on with another producer who will probably never finish it.   The vocals are all me so that will give you an idea of my general style better than describing it would.  

http://home.earthlink.net/~dadaorwell/Gimmee_Draft_3.mp3

If you hear indicators here that we are not a match stylistically or whatever, let me know so we can save each other some time.

Do you have a DAT player?  I have a DAT full of my vocal sounds, scales, one liners, etc.  It also has some vocals for tunes that still need to have track added and be produced.

But we should probably start simple.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up