Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Environmental/Atmospheric Sciences?  (Read 2190 times)

KB1JEC

• I'm a llama!
Environmental/Atmospheric Sciences?
« on: May 29, 2004, 01:03:39 am »

Hello,
I just stumbled across the FSP site while searching for some information regarding NH government.  I am 15 yrs old and currently attending Seekonk high school in Seekonk, MA (southeastern MA bordering RI).  Town property taxes have been constantly rising over the past 10 years here and this year the town experiencing a budget defecit, and i've also seen some speedtraps being created (great) among rising trash bills etc (town hauls the trash and imposes a tax).

Anyhow, i'm considering moving to NH after/during college.  I want to get my B.S. in Environmental Science and possibly my M.S. dependant upon my financial situation and the job market at that time.  I am particularly interested in meteorology, and am aware of some private and governmental forecasting and research firms within Massachusetts.  Wondering if anyone here who may live in NH knows of any such private firms in the state.  I would be residing in southern NH, and the issue is not a commute, but to avoid MA income taxes.

Thank you.

Greenbacks

Re:Environmental/Atmospheric Sciences?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 05:49:23 am »

I believe UNH has a world class meteorology program:

"UNH is a "high-impact university" (in the company of Stanford, Harvard, and Princeton). The Institute for Scientific Information ranks UNH first in geoscience research citations and fourth in environmental science citations.

EOS is the University of New Hampshire's largest research enterprise, receiving $22.7 million each year in external research support.

UNH is a world leader in Gamma-Ray telescopes. EOS was the American center for development of the Compton Telescope (COMPTEL) on the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory, one of NASA's "great observatories."

http://www.eos.sr.unh.edu/About

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 08:30:35 am »

Keene State also has an ES major, and Antioch in Keene (though flightly) has an MS and DES in ES.

The Keene State undergrad program is run by Dr. Stephen Steppenuck, who is FANTASTIC! I took him for several years while getting my BS, and I'd be happy to give you hints in how to do well in his class. :D

There's also a volunteer weather-spotter program here in Keene, which you could get into to get real-world experience without a big commitment of time.

We're also 1/2 hour from both the Mass and VT borders.

15 years old, and you're already moving to avoid income taxes. Good man. :D

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

KB1JEC

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 11:03:26 am »

Thank's for the information.  I did check and UNH site and was unable to find any programs for a B.S. Environmental Science.  As for Keene, this was listed:

Environmental Studies, BS
Environmental Science
        specializations in
        Environmental Biology
        Environmental Chemistry
        Environmental Geology
        Individualized
-http://www.keene.edu/catalog/mdc.cfm

I have been looking at UMass Lowell (www.uml.edu) and noted they have what they refer to as 'concentrations', one of which is Atmospheric Science.  That is either for the B.S. or M.S. program, but I tend to think the B.S., I had them send me an info packet last year.  Whats listed at Keene seems to specialize in everything but atmospheric science/meteorology.

If I were to attend UMass I would most likely hold off on the move to avoid the higher out-of-state college rates.  If there were a program in NH that wouldn't be a concern.

Whether I can or can't make the move while in college is currently dependant on some investments and a few thousand dollars I will be saving over the new few years.  All would be for a downpayment on a home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up