Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010 LF speakers  (Read 9893 times)

garthwaited

• Administrator
  • First 1000
2010 LF speakers
« on: April 18, 2009, 01:36:58 pm »

Charles Adams, author of For Good and Evil: The Impact of Taxes on the Course of Civilization.

Podcast of his speech here: Tax Resistance, Then and Now

Slim

• FSP Participant
Re: 2010 LF speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:02:21 pm »

I would like to throw Penn and Teller, Drew Carey, John Larroquette, and Trey Parker in to the running for 2010 LF
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen. Speech has allowed the communication of ideas, enabling human beings to work together to build the impossible. Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failures by not talking. It doesn't have to be like this. Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future. With the technology at our disposal, the possibilities are unbounded. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking.  -Stephen Hawking

ny2nh

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:18:49 pm »

And, Slim, can we presume that you'll be putting up the $$ to get them?

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:21:15 pm »

Neal Peart, Chloe Vervrier, Ron Jeremy

Panel discussion. Should be awesome.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:24:15 pm »

I would like to throw Penn and Teller, Drew Carey, John Larroquette, and Trey Parker in to the running for 2010 LF
3 of the 4 were contacted for LF09

Slim

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:00:56 pm »

And, Slim, can we presume that you'll be putting up the $$ to get them?

The LF does not need all of them but I think a well known person would bring more people to the event. I do appreciate that Chris Lawless tries to get big named libertarians to speak.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen. Speech has allowed the communication of ideas, enabling human beings to work together to build the impossible. Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failures by not talking. It doesn't have to be like this. Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future. With the technology at our disposal, the possibilities are unbounded. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking.  -Stephen Hawking

shyfrog

• FSP Participant
  • Fear is the foundation of most governments
    • Shyfrog Media
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 02:33:12 pm »

$$$?  I thought we were well-funded?  I just read an article somewhere alleging we're funded by deep-pocket corporation or some such thing...

Throwing in my 3 cents for possible speakers:

Rand Paul
Alan Schaeffer of Alliance for the Separation of School & State
Chris Lawless (He might charge too much)

George Donnelly

• FSP Participant
  • Moving to NH ... some day?
    • Arm your Mind for Liberty
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 03:50:22 pm »

My 2 cents: let's focus on substance instead of celebrities. The last once was chock full of substance and it was spectacular. Celebrities would just ruin it.

djbridgeland

• moved October 2008, Second 1000
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 10:02:06 pm »

Peter Schiff

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 05:21:22 am »

Alan spoke 2009
Peter S was contacted...it was all a matter of logistics (which didn't work out).
I heard Lawless is expensive... I will talk to his agent.

Slim

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:05:27 am »

My 2 cents: let's focus on substance instead of celebrities. The last once was chock full of substance and it was spectacular. Celebrities would just ruin it.

I guess according to you celebrities have noting to talk about I guess John Stossel was just a waste of time when he spoke at the 1st LF. I guess Drew Carey has nothing to talk about, he has not been teaming up with Reason.tv and doing short shows on marijuana, government roads, food tyranny, dance ban, etc.

I thought that one of the main reasons for the LF was to help attract more people to sign up for the Free State Project and what attracts more attention a person preaching to the choir or someone with nationwide name recognizing. I am not saying there is no place for substance speakers but a a headline act will likely have a more diverse draw.

George Donnelly

• FSP Participant
  • Moving to NH ... some day?
    • Arm your Mind for Liberty
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 11:56:32 am »

I'm not saying celebrities are useless or have nothing to say. I did not mean to offend anyone. Apologies if it came off that way.

John Stossel is more substance than celebrity and builds on what the FSP is about IMHO. John Larroquette or Trey Parker OTOH would be purely for show. Are South Park fans really in the FSP target demographic? I suspect most are not.

Is the purpose of speaker selection to:

- gain as much indiscriminate attention as possible?
- gain as much highly targeted attention as possible?
- strengthen the liberty activist community's ability to be effective?
- radicalize the existing libertarian community?
- something else?

There would probably be multiple answers but if the answers haven't explicitly been worked out yet, maybe we should?

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 03:28:22 pm »

Are South Park fans really in the FSP target demographic? I suspect most are not.

I agree with what you said about Stossel and Trey Parker.  However, South Park is a very pro-freedom show.  South Park and Family Guy are the top shows among the freedom lovers I know.  Of course, since Trey Parker is a libertarian and inserts his political ideas into most of the episodes, South Park is much more libertarian than Family Guy (or any show on TV).

Slim

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 03:38:56 pm »

I'm not saying celebrities are useless or have nothing to say. I did not mean to offend anyone. Apologies if it came off that way.

John Stossel is more substance than celebrity and builds on what the FSP is about IMHO. John Larroquette or Trey Parker OTOH would be purely for show. Are South Park fans really in the FSP target demographic? I suspect most are not.

Is the purpose of speaker selection to:

- gain as much indiscriminate attention as possible?
- gain as much highly targeted attention as possible?
- strengthen the liberty activist community's ability to be effective?
- radicalize the existing libertarian community?
- something else?

There would probably be multiple answers but if the answers haven't explicitly been worked out yet, maybe we should?

You did not offend me it takes a lot to offend me so don't worry about that. I just wanted to have a discussion about the points that you make in the posts.

You said are south park fans really the target demo for the FSP. IMHO I would say they are about as ripe as John Stossel fans. South Park has a strong following and shows government for what it really is, a bunch of morons screwing things up. Take the character officer Barbrady for a example he represents the imbecile police that wouldn't know a real crime if it was happening right in front of his eyes all along saying "Move along nothing to see here". One of the latest episodes show the corruption of government when a space thief lands on the earth and all the government of the world split the "space cash" but when one country tries to do the right thing and tell the space police the other nations nuke them. Or the multiple episodes that show the stupidity of mob mentality. Or the episodes that dealt with free speech.

If the fans of shows that show all that are not the target demo of the FSP then I have to pose the question what is the target.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 03:46:03 pm »

Are South Park fans really in the FSP target demographic? I suspect most are not.

Of course, since Trey Parker is a libertarian and inserts his political ideas into most of the episodes, South Park is much more libertarian than Family Guy (or any show on TV).

Trey Parker is certainly an interesting fellow, and their show has gotten them in a lot "trouble" from time-to-time. Enough that I would enjoying hearing the "inside story". I'd contribute funds to see him speak about it at LF 2010. ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:47:34 pm by B.D. Ross »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything