Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Alone  (Read 29892 times)

freedomroad

Re: Moving Alone
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 10:54:56 pm »

i have a question...asked it a few times but i get a general answer of save up 2-3 months of pay....I would like to know how much is the cost of living out there...im thinking of Keene but that may change if jobs are not available, but i would like a round about number for the cost of living lets say on an average week. (food, gas, heating, anything else that you need to live)

My bills next month should be around this:
Rent: 320ish
Insurance (auto and health) 110
Phone and movies 40
Food and related 200
Moving expenses 60
Gas, parking and auto maintenance 120
FTL AMP 3
Other x
= $853ish plus x
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:14:03 am by Keith and Stuff »

rabbit20

• FSP Participant
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 11:24:13 pm »

ok cool..thanks that helps me out a lot!!!  :D 
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
  --  Thomas Jefferson
http://pledgebank.com/Next1000
http://nhliberty.org
http://cafepress.com/ridleyreport
http://www.oathkeepers.org

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 05:34:38 pm »

ok cool..thanks that helps me out a lot!!!  :D 
so figure a $1000 just to be safe.

than means $3000

lloydbob1

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 06:44:17 am »

Maybe pad that an extra 10% :P

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 10:16:22 am »

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty nervous to move alone.  I'm a chic and I'll only be 20.  Has anyone else moved by themselves and was it easy to meet people?

It's easy to meet folks.  If you're specifically looking to meet folks your own age, any of the towns/cities with colleges may be good choices, or the surrounding areas if you don't mind travel (rent is cheaper outside the immediate vicinity of the major population centers).

I live in Texas so I know there will be icy roads sometimes that I'm not used to.  Are there things that you must do to prepare for a NH winter?

What are you planning to drive?  Different vehicles will be easier or harder to drive in icy or snowy conditions, depending upon the specifics.  Generally, if you don't have four drive wheels, then front-wheel-drive is best for beginners, although I can't stand it and don't find rear-wheel-drive to be a problem.  With practice, most folks can learn to drive on the ice with no problems.  Of course, after you learn how to drive, you need to learn how to avoid the other idiots who don't know how, but insist on driving in the middle of a storm, anyway.  If in doubt, hole up and wait for the roads to be cleared.

As far as clothing, layering is the best bet.  That allows you to adjust for conditions by adding and subtracting layers.  Good boots are also important.  Depending upon your personal style, you may or may not want to carry shoes along to change into (I wear steel-toe work boots all year 'round, but women don't always have that luxury).  There are strap-on traction aids that can help if you're walking on ice, as well - some use steel wire and can safely be worn indoors, while others use little carbide spikes, which means that you need to take them off before walking around inside, unless you like gouges in your floor.

I like a hat with a wide brim, as that helps to keep precipitation out of my eyes.  That may or may not be sufficient for someone not used to the cold, since it leaves the ears and back of the head exposed.  If have one of those Russian fur hats, as well, but it's rarely cold enough that I can wear it without sweating.  Sweating when it's cold out is bad, so if you notice yourself overheating, remove a layer.  Protecting your ears is important, as well.

Where you settle will also play a part in the weather.  Being within a mile or so of the coast means warmer winters and cooler summers, since the 55-degree ocean is right there, moderating the air temperature.  Personally, I find the heavy, wet snow that is generated by that effect to be annoying, but others appreciate the air temperature difference enough to choose it.  As you move in from the coast, a large chunk of south-east NH is actually substantially warmer than the rest of the state.  We have a micro-climate which actually gives us weather sufficient for commercial vineyards to operate.  We're right at the edge of it here, in Northwood.  Any further north or west of us, and that effect is essentially gone.  It's a few degrees, but it's helpful for those of us who do some farming.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Battlecry

• FSP Participant
  • Rabblerouser
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 12:37:37 pm »

Not to be all "HA!!!" but:

My Pops had reconstructive surgey on a knee last year so I moved in with him (the man can't change out a light bulb in his own house).  So while I sleep on the couch, I also don't pay any bills other than food and I gas up his cars if I drive em.  My truck was built in 1970, so it ain't makin the trip to NH (actually, it could, but MAN....all those miles with that old frame...ouch).

So I figured I can get a better truck, pay off some dings on my credit here and there, get a Barreta 96, and maybe a new pair of boots, then head out that way.  Won't be able to pull that off and beat winter, so I'm looking at another year on the couch, just to make it easy on myself.  which means that I can stash major bank and still live nice in the interim. 

Factor in that all I need is one room with a stand up shower and I'm good to go, my cost of living should be relatively cheap.  I'm from Ohio...the cold don't bother me none.  I mean come on, if I can live on my pops' couch for a year (or on a Trident class nuclear submarine for that matter) I can live just about anywhere.

Incidentally I want to make PorcFest, but may not have a better truck by then....anyone going from Columbus, OH area that wouldn't mind picking up a rider that is willing to pay 1.5 tanks of gas to one, share the driving, smokes, and may be willing to pay for your first lap dance in the state of NH (price negotiable)? 
When the Nazis came for the communists, I said nothing; I was, of course, no communist.
When they locked up the Social Democrats, I said nothing; I was, of course, no Social Democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists, I said nothing; I was, of course, no trade unionist.
When they came for me, there was no one left who could protest.
This is why we must fight for all

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:55 pm »

Anyone considering the move might want to consider getting here during the summer.  The job situation on the seacoast is really good, especially with the beach open.  Seeing what's going on in Washington, DC, it's likely that the economy will get worse, and this may be the only steady work you can hold down for a while.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

rabbit20

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 10:01:12 pm »

on the note of the bad economy why cant i tell the banks that got my tax dollars that i cant pay them any more because giving them money caused me to get laid off
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
  --  Thomas Jefferson
http://pledgebank.com/Next1000
http://nhliberty.org
http://cafepress.com/ridleyreport
http://www.oathkeepers.org

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 05:31:12 am »

Incidentally I want to make PorcFest, but may not have a better truck by then....anyone going from Columbus, OH area that wouldn't mind picking up a rider that is willing to pay 1.5 tanks of gas to one, share the driving, smokes, and may be willing to pay for your first lap dance in the state of NH (price negotiable)? 
welcome.

Post over on the Porcfest thread.  there might be people coming from the midwest.

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 03:08:58 pm »

on the note of the bad economy why cant i tell the banks that got my tax dollars that i cant pay them any more because giving them money caused me to get laid off

Because every bank in the USA took bailout money, willingly or not. The bailout thing is MUCH worse than people expected. But it's also the reason why the banks won't care. It's like telling average Americans that government school is bad... They'll just reject it because... surprise... most of them went to government schools.

saramarie1994

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 10:27:35 pm »

I'm thinking of moving up, and I'm from Texas as well. :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up