Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappointed in FSP numbers?  (Read 16211 times)

ronarchy

Disappointed in FSP numbers?
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:49:21 pm »

I'm just curious if alot of long time members are disappointed in the number of participants, early movers and friends? I assume most of you don't regreat moving to NH or being involved. Even with a small number of active people they can get alot done and built a strong community. But does it seem like it's dragging on and on?"Where's the damn 20,000 already?" Has anyone moved to NH and then left?

Some things I've read from the site.

"500 liberty activists move so far (and 1,000 pledged to move by the end of 2008)"
Irena Goddard, November 15, 2007

Free State Project Participation Guidelines
"Should the Project never attract 20,000 signers, the move shall be aborted."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:42:21 pm by ronarchy »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN FSP NUMBERS?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 07:13:17 pm »

I'm just curious if alot of long time members are disappointed in the number of participants, early movers and friends? I assume most of you don't regreat moving to NH or being involved. Even with a small number of active people they can get alot done and built a strong community. But does it seem like it's dragging on and on?"Where's the damn 20,000 already?" Has anyone moved to NH and then left?

"500 liberty activists move so far (and 1,000 pledged to move by the end of 2008)"

Once a specific state was announced - once the idea became a reality - signups dropped off significantly.  I'm not discouraged.  The new signups generally sign up with the intention of moving within a specified period of time instead of waiting for 20,000, which is one reason we've seen a large uptick of movers lately.  20,000 will probably take another 5-8 years.  These things take time.  I work hard to make it happen.

If we had just 10 or so more people who would volunteer a bit of time, we could reach 20,000 much faster.  Donating money also helps as we can get one signup for every $100 we spend on advertising.

Come for the freedom and thriving liberty community.  Stay for the 20,000.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

lasse

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:06:38 pm »

The numbers don't attract me - the state that New Hampshire is already in compared to the rest of the world does. If some other folk feel alike, well, that's just peachy too. :P
(not that lasse, the other lasse)

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil - Isaiah 5:20

ronarchy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:31:07 pm »

Thats what I figured, just curious. NH does sound nice regarless if there 1,000 or 20,000 or whatever.
I'm still undecided and don't have time to put awhole lotta work in to promoting FSP but have been doing little things to help out. Leaving comments on youtube videos (kinda silly) and will drop off flyers in the next couple weeks at different places. Is there a list of things people can do to help out? What's the google thing people talk about?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:36:38 pm by ronarchy »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 08:56:24 pm »

Leaving comments on youtube videos (kinda silly)

Not at all!

Is there a list of things people can do to help out? What's the google thing people talk about?

Here are a few ideas.

1.   Join FSP Doers: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fsp-doers
2.   Create a rubber stamp with text like "Want more liberty? www.FreeStateProject.org" and stamp any paper money that crosses your hands.
3.   Join and invite your friends to Free State Project social networking sites on Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Bureaucrash Social.
4.   Buy and show off an FSP bumper sticker, shirt, keychain, or other items from the FSP merchandise store.
5.   Download and distribute flyers, brochures, desktop wallpaper or other material from the volunteer downloads page <http://www.freestateproject.org/volunteer/downloads>. Give to friends, family, co-workers, and other associates or post at cafes, supermarkets, and other public bulletin boards.
6.   Include a link or blurb about the FSP in your email signature.
7.   Spread the word via the internet whenever you can (Write about the FSP on your blog or talk about us on Digg, Youtube, StumbleUpon, forums, etc.).  The Ridley Report is often a good resource.
8.   Stick FSP bookmarks (available from the merchandise store) in pro- liberty books at your local library and bookstore.
9.   If there is a local event (LP, gun show, pot protest, Ron Paul rally) where you think people might be interested in hearing about the FSP, get a booth or hand out flyers.  If the booth or table costs money the local group can pay for it (and staff it) or “FSP central” can pay for it.  The contact point for things like this is Events@FreeStateProject.org
10.   Become a “local group leader.” We can send out an email to all the FSPers that live in your area and ask them to contact you.  Then just set up an informal meeting (pizza palor, bar, whatever) and meet the other FSPers.  You can discuss ways to outreach other libertarians, liberty lovers in your area.  Keep it fun.  Maybe meet monthly.  No minutes, nothing official just figure out ways to reach other people to talk about liberty and the FSP.  If there already is a local group in your area, contact the group leader and start meeting.
11.   Ask friends and family to join the FSP as a “friend of the FSP.”  This creates no commitment to move.  They just get the newsletter.
12.   Write letters to the editor in your area about liberty and mention the FSP.
13.   Leave a handwritten or pre-printed note about the Free State Project on cars with pro-liberty bumper stickers.
14.   Take a look at our organization page and see if there is an open position that suits you.  http://www.freestateproject.org/org
15.   Use GoodSearch to search or buy things. The FSP will receive a percentage of the sale. Be sure to use the links provided.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:04:04 pm by sjhipple »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

freedomroad

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 09:45:27 pm »

I'm happy with the level of activism here among the movers already here.  It's greater than I expected.  There are more libertarians per square mile in Manchester by a factor of 10 or better than where I came from (Las Vegas, NV). 

An unexpected bonus is the number of local folks who have really taken to Free Staters.  It's now often difficult to remember who moved and who was already here among the liberty circles.  The Ron Paul movement was a huge boon to our efforts and has made our numbers greater and much more effective.

No regrets!  Come see for yourself... Porcupine Freedom Festival June 25-28.
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 10:47:40 pm »

If we had just 10 or so more people who would volunteer a bit of time, we could reach 20,000 much faster. 

Time my wife and I have. Let me know what you need done and I'll talk to her about it.

George
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:45:50 pm by sj »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 10:58:48 pm »

If we had just 10 or so more people who would volunteer a bit of time, we could reach 20,000 much faster. 

Time my wife and I have. Let me know what you need done and I'll talk to her about it.

George

George, the best thing you can do is to start going to pro-liberty events (guns shows, Ron Paul stuff, etc) and hand out FSP literature.  You can get it at the FSP store or by e-mailing <Events@FreeStateProject.org>.  While you're at it, become the liason for the NJ local group (see here) and see if you can start working with other Free Staters in NJ (it looks like there are at least a few).

Also, I would join FSP Doers immediately <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fsp-doers>.  This will help you keep up with what's going on and chip in when you see something you can help with.

Lastly, take a look at the list I posted above.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:45:56 pm by sj »

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:59:48 pm »

I'm here in NH and SURROUNDED by more liberty loving people than I have time to get to know and we've only just begun.  Disappointment?  NO WAY.

Do we want more people here sooner?  Of course, so come on up!
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

alcamedes

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:32:35 pm »

I'll move if I can get sweet potatoes and a plum teaching latin

pvincent87

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:22 pm »

Below is a relevant quote from an insightful Lew Rockwell column I just read.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Margaret Mead
    US anthropologist & popularizer of anthropology (1901 - 1978)

Don't you want to be apart of that small group?
Could you live with yourself if you choose inaction?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 07:21:40 am »

I think that Libertarians sometimes focus too much on the theory and not enough in the doing.  yes many people would like the numbers to be higher BUT... with only 700ish movers (and LOCALS) we are getting a lot done.  And more done every day.  I have heard 5-6 people who were NOT FSPers who came to the Liberty Forum and were blown away by the level of activism here.

But even if all the activism and liberty lovers went away......I LOVE NH.  it is a great place to live and raise kids.

George Donnelly

• FSP Participant
  • Moving to NH ... some day?
    • Arm your Mind for Liberty
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 07:35:09 am »

@pvincent87 No way, I couldn't live with myself.

Re/ those complaining about the weather - I'm moving from Medellin, Colombia, city of the eternal spring, and giving up beautiful 60-90 degree weather year round for liberty in NH. It's not a sacrifice though. I'm coming out ahead on this deal.

And jobs? I graduated from one of the best colleges in the US but hey I would drive a cab in NH if I had to.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 09:32:23 am »

There are some who have left NH, mostly for personal reasons. I don't hear any talk of disappointment in numbers because there is very little talk of the FSP frankly. The focus clearly is on activism and community. We soon forget who got here "on the bus of FSP".

Cathleen
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

anything