Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Town Project (Floating Islands for Real)  (Read 69741 times)

Lumpy

• Peaceful Loudmouth
Re: Free Town Project
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2010, 10:39:52 am »

I don't know Sorens personally and I'm wondering what, for "his project" is he not here yet?  I don't really see any reasonable excuse.  Many people have come with little or nothing and in some cases less, then made something for the market.  I don't mean to ruffle feathers but so be it.  I want to know.  Not that he should be fitting into any mold.  Maybe I will just ask him himself.  For what it's worth, until then, I'm putting it out there.
Lumpy<br />“Stand Your Ground, Don’t Fire Unless Fired Upon. But If They Mean To Have War, Let it Start Here.” Captain John Parker, Lexington, Massachusetts April 19, 1775

WendellBerry

« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2010, 12:31:24 pm »

I don't know Sorens personally and I'm wondering what, for "his project" is he not here yet?  I don't really see any reasonable excuse.  Many people have come with little or nothing and in some cases less, then made something for the market.  I don't mean to ruffle feathers but so be it.  I want to know.  Not that he should be fitting into any mold.  Maybe I will just ask him himself.  For what it's worth, until then, I'm putting it out there.

He works in the Political Science program at the State University of NY in Buffalo

http://www.polsci.buffalo.edu/faculty_staff/sorens/

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2011, 08:45:10 am »

He did move here and then he moved out.
Many people have done so.

In fact technically you could say that NO ONE is obligated to move until 20k signers are hit.

freedomroad

« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2011, 12:24:46 pm »

In fact technically you could say that NO ONE is obligated to move until 20k signers are hit.

Except for the more recent sign-ups that set different triggers?

Lumpy

• Peaceful Loudmouth
« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2011, 04:09:37 pm »

It seems odd to me that there are so many making such deep investments yet no sign of the guy who "put the FSP together".  (I use the word "investment" as opposed to "sacrifice" as many are making sacrifices, even from jails and other awful places, not necessarily geographical).
Lumpy<br />“Stand Your Ground, Don’t Fire Unless Fired Upon. But If They Mean To Have War, Let it Start Here.” Captain John Parker, Lexington, Massachusetts April 19, 1775

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #155 on: January 02, 2011, 04:48:23 pm »

He did move here and then he moved out.
Many people have done so.

Dreepa...Have to give a slight correction. :)  Jason, and Mary never moved here.  They did come up a while back and live here for a few months.  Jason took off a semester from the University.

The pledge says, you are pledged to move when we have 20,000 folks signed on, period!

For you newer folks who don't know the history of this organization.  Jason wrote the article that spun the FSP, he worked tirelessly in the early years to help take the FSP, from an idea to real, and folks like me, and many others have actually moved to NH to take up the fight. 

Jason has a decent gig in Western NY, and wife, and a brand new baby.  Heck, the dude has a life too!

I know Jason and Mary both, and know their thoughts on the FSP, and how important is to them.  I know for certain they will honor the pledge!

I see the FSP as something that if we really believe in the folks, and freedom, we must follow our convictions.

So, bottom line....If Jason and Mary aren't here, it really has no meaning.  Honoring your pledge does, and If you want to show up a little early....That's even better! ;D

Just my 2 cents.
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

creaganlios

« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2011, 08:41:32 pm »

I must disagree. 

I think Jason's refusal to move here is the single biggest symbolic black spot on the entire FSP. 

Many people sacrificed many of the comforts of their life...and "Do as a I say, not as I do" leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.   Why should anyone else take it seriously if its founder/dreamcaster doesnt take it seriously enough to move himself?

Just my .02

artienewport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2011, 09:47:47 pm »

It was a huge mistake of people to keep him as such a demigod figure in the organization for so long to begin with.

freedomroad

« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2011, 10:54:40 pm »

It was a huge mistake of people to keep him as such a demigod figure in the organization for so long to begin with.

Those people that took him or anyone as a demigod made a mistake.  He is just a person.  Anyway, he did visit for months and helped get someone elected that is know in the NH House of Reps leadership.  He continues to come back, give money to the FSP, promote NH and spend money in NH.  He is good people and may move here some day yet.

creaganlios

« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2011, 07:54:23 am »

He doesnt believe in Freedom enough to give up creature comforts...and that is the achille's heel of the libertarian approach in any society. That is not a criticism of Jason...it is a commentary on the natural conservatism of societies in general, including societies that support their own slavery under statism.

"For what more oft, in nations grown corrupt, than to prefer bondage to liberty...bondage with ease than strenuous liberty." - John Milton, in Samson Agonistes

"For most men would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich, then face the reality of being poor...and that is why they will follow us - to the Right"[/i] - spoken by John Dickinson, in 1776

Lumpy

• Peaceful Loudmouth
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2011, 06:01:04 pm »

"He doesnt believe in Freedom enough to give up creature comforts...and that is the achille's heel of the libertarian approach in any society. That is not a criticism of Jason...it is a commentary on the natural conservatism of societies in general, including societies that support their own slavery under statism."

Kinda too late doncha think?  Everyone everywhere won't have any "liberty" left.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2011, 12:22:18 pm »

It's not the right time for him and his family.  He's building a career.  He'll be more effective for liberty if he lays the groundwork first.  He and Mary are wonderful people and I hope to have them as neighbors soon. 

Have some come to NH without the preparation Jason is making?  Yes, and some have had to leave afterwards because they couldn't financially support themselves.  Plus, most don't have a career path that is as restrictive as academia. 

People should focus on their own lives and not look to others.  Less drama that way.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

walrus von zeppelin

« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2011, 04:12:43 pm »

As an outsider perspective to the Free State Project regarding this I have almost no idea about who that guy is except that he wrote something and thus his not being in New Hampshire is inconsequential to me.

It is probably more of a big deal for those with a longer history with the FSP than the new blood you need to reach 20k.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2011, 04:20:13 pm »

The Project is to move 20,000 people within 5 years of getting 20,000 people to agree.

Do we have 20,000 people yet?

Then why are we still talking about this?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2011, 05:55:01 pm »

As an outsider perspective to the Free State Project regarding this I have almost no idea about who that guy is except that he wrote something and thus his not being in New Hampshire is inconsequential to me.

It is probably more of a big deal for those with a longer history with the FSP than the new blood you need to reach 20k.

bingo!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up