Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Town Project (Floating Islands for Real)  (Read 80618 times)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
Re: Free Town Project
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2009, 06:57:26 am »

boy after all this talk ... I can't wait to get to the polls and get my proliberty vote counted

what was this topic about again?
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2009, 08:56:45 am »

what was this topic about again?
why we should move to Seabrook.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2009, 05:39:46 pm »

* While we're attempting to build a free state here in NH, some are also trying to build free towns and maybe counties. Most are working on existing towns, I think, but we could also build free towns from scratch. Couldn't we?
* The recent LRC article at http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/bryan6.html, "Small Town Anarchy", seems to be a pretty sensible free market way to ...

That's the OP, and that's the topic I've tried to stay on.  My response to Luck has been to make the case for Seabrook for such an effort, and also to mention several other towns that are recruiting new movers in order to focus on local efforts.  I've also made the case that one doesn't need to limit oneself to fsp movers.  At the local level, any liberty activist will do.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Moebius Tripp

• Kinda loopy & one-sided.
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2009, 09:13:49 pm »

I've also made the case that one doesn't need to limit oneself to fsp movers.  At the local level, any liberty activist will do.

NH isn't ranked as high in overall liberty from simply the few FSP movers.  I figure that most folks up there are fairly small-government minded, and we are just strengthening their ranks.
Statism is the opiate of the masses

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2009, 09:25:11 pm »

If we could just find the fiscal conservatives and liberty folk who have been turned off, get them into the project, and show them the NHLA scores of various officials, it would be nothing to toss out half of the statists in Concord.  I say this as an avid, six year long recruiter, that it's the locals who should be targeted by our efforts more than anything.  I've directed tons of locals to nhliberty.org and other activism sites.  I think that, in the end, this will be what really changes New Hampshire.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

freedomroad

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:54 pm »

We have five in Seabrook that I know of off the top of my head. 

Matt R. and his wife live in Seabook.  They are FSP activists which you may not even know.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2009, 10:32:28 pm »

There was one other who got here about the same time that I did.  I just can't remember who she was, and I didn't stay in touch with her.  She was a friend of Brendan Kelly.  I'll ask him next time I get a chance.

Moebius Tripp

• Kinda loopy & one-sided.
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2009, 11:29:13 pm »

If we could just find the fiscal conservatives and liberty folk who have been turned off, get them into the project, and show them the NHLA scores of various officials, it would be nothing to toss out half of the statists in Concord.  I say this as an avid, six year long recruiter, that it's the locals who should be targeted by our efforts more than anything.  I've directed tons of locals to nhliberty.org and other activism sites.  I think that, in the end, this will be what really changes New Hampshire.

+10.  That was my presumption when I signed up.
Statism is the opiate of the masses

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2009, 11:37:03 pm »

I strongly disagree that it would be 'nothing' to toss out half of the statists in Concord.
If it were that easy....it would already have been done.
It will take years of hard works before we can 'toss out half of them'.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2009, 11:38:37 pm »

I strongly disagree that it would be 'nothing' to toss out half of the statists in Concord.

Patience...

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2009, 12:34:57 am »

You just have to find the people here who have become too turned off to vote.  There are so many close races, and we've still had trouble hitting the ground regarding on state and local races.  I'd like to get a group of activists together in Martha Fuller Clark's district (southern seacoast) and just work on doing lit drops and signs for all of the proliberty candidates in our area--state and local.  That way, people would have an actual piece of paper to take with them into the ballot booth.  A few of us did that in Manchester a few years ago with noticeable results.  I think we dished out about 200 business cards with the date of the election, who to vote for, and who were real stinkers.

Business cards are also easy to print out, carry, and give away to folks you know.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2009, 08:26:49 am »

Patience...

I have patience.  I moved here didn't I? But I want no one to have the illusion that it will be easy.
It is going to take:  time.  Money. and a lot of volunteers.  A lot.  (natives or movers)  Max is right that people IN NH should be trying to find natives who agree but that is not the job of the FSP... that is the job of the people who moved to NH.

Lumpy

• Peaceful Loudmouth
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2009, 08:58:57 am »

Patience...

I have patience.  I moved here didn't I? But I want no one to have the illusion that it will be easy.
It is going to take:  time.  Money. and a lot of volunteers.  A lot.  (natives or movers)  Max is right that people IN NH should be trying to find natives who agree but that is not the job of the FSP... that is the job of the people who moved to NH.

I think I'm going to get may family involved now too.  They are still "asleep" but this might just be the clincher.   ;)  They are not far away.
Lumpy<br />“Stand Your Ground, Don’t Fire Unless Fired Upon. But If They Mean To Have War, Let it Start Here.” Captain John Parker, Lexington, Massachusetts April 19, 1775

TEBON

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2009, 03:19:18 pm »

I wish you luck in Seabrook.  I would try going down South Main St. and Lower Collins St.  They're the poorer drug riddled sections of town.  If you go, act cool and bring your sidearm.  They have sidearms too, and they don't know anything about any NAP/ZAP.  FYI.

I want to visit all the areas of the state before I make my decision on where to move.  Until then I've been thinking of just moving into Danville, NH just to get into the state so I don't have to pay state income tax.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Some Town Stats
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2009, 12:13:18 am »

* I got the following stats on NH towns from http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm
* Numbers after town names indicate population. The dollar figures represent property tax per $1,000 valuation. Elected and appointed offices seem to give indication of how conservative or liberal a town is.

* First I'm listing towns without Zoning going from north to south. Grafton & Lempster are the farthest south without zoning. It's not certain if Errol has zoning.
* New Castle2, Errol, Rye2, Chatham, Ellsworth & Seabrook2 have the lowest property taxes in these 2 groups. 2 after town names here means 2nd group [southerly].
Pittsburg... 825 $13.20 96.6% $12.48
-Elected: Selectmen
Clarksville. 288 $15.10 89.8% $12.25
-Elected: Selectmen
Stewartstown 986 $24.83 60.4% $16.05
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library
Errol....... 285 $9.97 70.2% $6.85
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library; Trust Funds; Zoning? -Appointed: Conservation
Stark....... 486 $15.52 91.2% $13.64
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning -Appointed: Library
Dalton...... 900 $25.46 55.4% $14.65
-Elected: Selectmen; Library -Appointed: Planning; Conservation
Chatham..... 260 $11.78 100% $11.29
-Elected: Selectmen -Appointed: Planning; Conservation
Woodstock. 1,169 $13.84 93.9% $12.81
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning -Appointed: Conservation; Library
Wentworth... 775 $14.28 88.2% $13.12
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Trust Funds; Town Clerk/Tax Collector -Appointed: Conservation; Library; Police Chief
Rumney.... 1,438 $15.46 94.2% $14.72
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library; Trust Funds; Cemetery; Advisory -Appointed: Conservation
Tamworth.. 2,503 $19.67 84.6% $16.39
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library; Firewards, Trust Funds; Checklist -Appointed: Conservation; Finance
Warren...... 922 $18.99 93% $18.36
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library -Appointed: Parks & Recreation
Ellsworth.... 84 $11.47 106.1% $11.58
-Elected: Selectmen -Appointed: Planning
Orford.... 1,061 $19.79 100% $20.02
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Budget -Appointed: Conservation; Library
Canaan.... 3,558 $21.31 100% $20.25
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Budget; Library; Road Agent; Police Chief -Appointed: Conservation
Alexandria 1,521 $16.59 95.6% $16.32
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Cemetery; Trust Funds -Appointed: Library; Conservation
Grafton... 1,126 $19.42 100% $19.33
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Trust Funds; Library -Appointed: Recreation
Lempster.. 1,099 $16.10 100% $16.01
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library; Cemetery; Checklist; Trust Funds -Appointed: Conservation

The rest are more southerly towns that have zoning.
Barnstead. 4,567 $18.40 94% $17.25
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Budget; Library; Checklist -Appointed: Zoning; Parks & Recreation; Conservation; Old Home Day
Concord.. 42,392 $19.63 96.4% $18.77
-Elected: City Council -Appointed: Planning; Zoning; Library; Conservation
Keene.... 22,893 $25.79 98.7% $25.46
-Elected: City Council -Appointed: Planning; Zoning; Library; Conservation; Cemetery
Barrington 8,405 $16.60 100% $16.46
-Elected: Selectmen; Library; Cemetery; Trust Funds -Appointed: Planning; Zoning; Conservation; Recreation
Deerfield. 4,181 $17.53 103.1% $18.46
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning -Appointed: Zoning; Library; Conservation
New Castle 1,026 $4.78 83.3% $3.98
-Elected: Selectmen; Library; Cemetery; School; Budget; Trust Funds -Appointed: Planning; Conservation; Historic District; Zoning; Public Works
Portsmouth 20,495 $16.34 92.3% $14.82
-Elected: City Council; School; Police -Appointed: Planning; Conservation; Library; Economic Development; Historic District; Zoning
Rye....... 5,174 $8.91 90.7% $8.04
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Budget -Appointed: Zoning; Conservation; Historic District; Mosquito
North Hampton 4,528 $16.82 91.6% $15.24
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library; Trust Funds; Budget; Zoning -Appointed: Conservation
Hampton.. 15,390 $19.79 75.8% $14.85
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Zoning; Library; Cemetery; Trust Funds; Budget -Appointed: Conservation; Heritage; Shade Tree; Highway Safety; Leased Land Real Estate; Recreation; Cable TV; USS Hampton; Insurance Review
Hampton Falls 2,095 $20.49 81.4% $16.60
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library; Cemetery; Trust Funds; Checklist -Appointed: Zoning; Conservation; Highway Safety; Recreation
Kensington 2,072 $17.54 91% $15.73
-Elected: Selectmen; Library -Appointed: Planning; Zoning; Conservation
Seabrook.. 8,509 $13.08 91.5% $11.71
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library; Budget -Appointed: Zoning; Conservation
South Hampton 881 $13.99 108.6% $15.11
-Elected: Selectmen; Budget; Library; Cemetery; Trust Funds; Checklist; Auditors -Appointed: Planning; Zoning; Conservation; Historic District; Aging
Newton.... 4,520 $18.28 105.1% $19.17
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library; Cemetery; Trust Funds -Appointed: Conservation; Recreation; Cable TV; Stewardship; Appeals
Plaistow.. 7,657 $19.00 95.5% $18.07
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning; Library; Budget; Trust Funds; Conflict of Interest -Appointed: Conservation; Zoning; Cable; Recreation
Atkinson.. 6,572 $14.10 103% $14.39
-Elected: Selectmen; Library -Appointed: Planning; Zoning; Conservation
Salem.... 29,498 $13.21 100% $13.13
Pelham... 12,504 $15.81 104.5% $16.54
-Elected: Selectmen; Planning -Appointed: Conservation; Library; Cemetery; Zoning
Hudson... 24,775 $15.01 97.4% $14.57
-Elected: Selectmen; Library; Cemetery; Budget -Appointed: Planning; Conservation
Manchester 108,874 $16.57 98.6% $15.79
-Elected: Mayor; Aldermen -Appointed: Planning; Conservation; Library; 25 others
Nashua... 86,837 $17.40 100% $17.21
-Elected: Aldermen; School; Public Works; Fire -Appointed: Planning; Conservation; Library; Cemetery; Zoning; Business & Industrial Development; Housing Authority
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:32:32 am by Luck »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up