Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Town Project (Floating Islands for Real)  (Read 76044 times)

erik7869

Re: Free Town Project
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2009, 07:16:02 pm »

Keith,

I think the idea of the White Mountain Land Club for instance, would have worked had it been done in a better state.

The point was about Paulville, not all of Texas. All I said was people hundreds of miles away Dallas, Houston, etc., don’t care what happens in Paulville so there is a big advantage to that. Isn’t like that in NH, no way, no how!

But then, I am not at all advocating people go there.

NH is less regulated then Texas. Never said otherwise. Have also said it's counter productive to change people’s minds in what is the least regulated state. People make decisions at a margin, therefore, if NH taxes are already least then people are the least likely to support any real change. If it is argued NH is the most friendly to libertarian ideas then it only proves the growth of government can be held back with out your help. The idea becomes counterproductive (whatever the idea is. Saying, ‘Our goal is to get elected and make change,’ is no different than Obama saying the same exact thing.)

Dave,

Not sure if you are inviting me into a peeing contest or not. If so, I'll respectfully decline.

Not sure what you mean by Wyoming either? All I've said in the past Wyoming was better then NH; not that it is best and certainly not that I moved there as I don't live there. I have also maintained in the past as now that there is no point in moving anywhere until a concise idea is developed. If you’re saying there’s a virtue in being active, then by all means be active. But moving for the sake of a bad plan does not prove anything; nor does activity for activity’s sake. Saying, ‘Our goal is to get elected and make change,’ is no different than Obama saying the same thing. But developing a new system all together, now that would be something.

I noticed here a thread was started by someone who talked about a free town from scratch, so it is not just me who has the idea. But NH, and most places on the east coast, makes this impossible because it is just so crowded.

So again, not quite sure if you are looking for a peeing fight but I am sure you have more activism to do in NH then waste time on that.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2009, 09:18:48 pm »

by the time some of these guys decide Dave Mincin will be the AG of NH and Maxx will be governor thinking about letting Keene secede ;D

:) :D ;D
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2009, 02:06:36 pm »

erik7869, with all due respect, we cannot fairly participate in peeing contests out here.  You just end up with peecicles, and it leaves a mess that doesn't go away until April (March in Seabrook).

As long as you're promoting liberty, you're good in my book.  I opted out of New Hampshire and placed it sixth, but I moved here, anyway, because this is where the activists are.

fundamentalsoffreedom.org is there for the western fsp folks.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2009, 04:02:30 pm »

Joe, is that you?  It sure sounds like you, if so I hope you are doing well. :)

First to even consider a Freetown from scratch we would need a financial backer willing to buy a large portion of land on faith.
We don't have that.

Then we would need a financial backer to spent the money necessary to provide the basic infrastructure.
We don't have that.

It would need to be somewhere were people would be close enough to jobs to be viable.  Were do you suggest that is?

Then we would need someone who was knew enough about government to actually do the foot work necessary to get the
necessary state approvals.
We don't have that.

We have some folks here in NH who like the wilderness, and are sort of doing what you propose, but most need to have work,
raise families, and need to live were that can find jobs.

If you have the financial backers, and have a place to start your Freetown, by all means let us know.  I'm sure there are folks
who visit this forum who might be interested in your proposal.

Talk is cheap Joe...The folks who have moved to NH, are putting it on the line.  So your call!
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2009, 04:21:18 pm »

There is another possibility.  We could just send a group around talking to local folks and seeing if it would be possible to form a new town out of an unused section of town.  We could target retirees and folks whose income does not depend on a commute.  There would already be houses and roads, there.  We wouldn't really need to build much, just get a town to allow a section to break off.

"Let those freestaters go over there," they'll say.

Just a thought.  I'm really happy with Seabrook, as it is, but there are lots of new movers who might give a town like that some thought, even effort.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

freedomroad

« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2009, 09:23:47 pm »

I noticed here a thread was started by someone who talked about a free town from scratch, so it is not just me who has the idea. But NH, and most places on the east coast, makes this impossible because it is just so crowded.

What I don't understand is why do you think NH is too crowded?  Almost no lives in northern NH.  Much of ME is almost without residents. 

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2009, 09:39:28 pm »

What I don't understand is why do you think NH is too crowded?  Almost no lives in northern NH.  Much of ME is almost without residents. 

It's not just Northern NH that is open and sparsely populated.  Drive 15-20 minutes outside of Concord (the capital) and you are in open spaces.  As I said before, a friend of mine lives about 30 minutes outside of Concord and when I drove to her house, it was back behind 2 miles of dirt roads.  I love it  :)
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2009, 11:17:19 pm »

If you don't want to start from scratch (i.e.; no FSPers living there) and you want to move to the freest "town/city" that exists NOW in NH (but at the same time is quite possibly the most difficult to find work - if you did your own thing, it would be ideal) due to the fact that it is a very small town, then I think the obvious choice would have to be Grafton (not for big city folks).

The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2009, 09:13:32 am »

I think the idea of the White Mountain Land Club for instance, would have worked had it been done in a better state.

Sorry, you're mistaken.  As one of the original members of the White Mountain Land Club I can assure you that the only problem we had with the state was a refusal to register the name as a business entity because a similar name had already been registered.

Our failure to attract enough people with enough cash to purchase the available properties is what did us in.

Many of the members have gone on to purchase property individually.  I now own 5 acres in the beautiful southern tropical region of Grafton. ;D

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2009, 07:07:13 pm »

Sorry, you're mistaken.  As one of the original members of the White Mountain Land Club I can assure you that the only problem we had with the state was a refusal to register the name as a business entity because a similar name had already been registered.

Our failure to attract enough people with enough cash to purchase the available properties is what did us in.

Many of the members have gone on to purchase property individually.  I now own 5 acres in the beautiful southern tropical region of Grafton. ;D

Tropical in Grafton's  case means only 8 feet of snow. ;D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Alex Free Market

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2009, 12:16:58 am »

I'd love to see something like this up in Pittsburg.  Grafton sounds nifty and all, but I get the impression that it would just end up being a bunch of disparate people after the land was purchased, with no cohesive reason to hold them together.  People would go to work, as usual, and there is no overriding reason for people to even speak to each other.

In Pittsburg, the area is so remote, that I think it would foster a greater sense of community, if having a tight knit micro-town kind of thing was your goal.
It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood; if they be repealed or revised before they are promulgated, or undergo such incessant changes that no man, who knows what the law is to-day, can guess what it will be to-morrow. - James Madison, The Federalist No. 62

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2009, 01:31:53 am »

Up in New Hampshire, we have a lot of fun getting together for social events.  There is a lot of work on political activism, letters to the editors, lit drops, educating the public, and going up to the State House.  Nevertheless, there's also a lot of fun activities going on up here.  We've got a lot of successes to point to, and we've learned a lot about liberty activism in New Hampshire that would have taken decades had we attempted the same things on our own spread out.

TEBON

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2009, 08:00:31 am »

people might not know it, but there's no such thing as winter in Seabrook.  In fact, some places have sewers for their waste.  Not in Seabrook, in fact, the waste is magically turned into champagne and everyone stands around drinking from the special bubblers.  There are no sharks nor riptides in Seabrook, in fact, the beach is made of goldleaf and is as calm as the Gulf of Mexico.

Come to Seabrook!

freedomroad

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2009, 11:14:06 am »

people might not know it, but there's no such thing as winter in Seabrook.  In fact, some places have sewers for their waste.  Not in Seabrook, in fact, the waste is magically turned into champagne and everyone stands around drinking from the special bubblers.  There are no sharks nor riptides in Seabrook, in fact, the beach is made of goldleaf and is as calm as the Gulf of Mexico.

Come to Seabrook!

You do know about the plan to make money off waste in Seabrook right?  It seems like a really cool plan, too.

TEBON

« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2009, 12:12:18 pm »

I heard they planned on making the waste into edible panties.  Is that what you're talking about?  I hope they make my size.
 :o

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up