Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Town Project. (Barrington, a Free Town Already?)  (Read 55256 times)

Luck

• FSP Participant
Free Town Project. (Barrington, a Free Town Already?)
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:25:55 am »

FREE TOWN PROJECT
* While we're attempting to build a free state here in NH, some are also trying to build free towns and maybe counties. Most are working on existing towns, I think, but we could also build free towns from scratch. Couldn't we?
* The recent LRC article at http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/bryan6.html, "Small Town Anarchy", seems to be a pretty sensible free market way to "police" a town. Are the Keeners, or others, considering some such model? Would that model work for counties too?
* I'd like to discuss here more thoroughly how we could build free towns from scratch, as well as how to make existing towns free.

My Goal is world peace, freedom & prosperity for all. My plan is:
Convert society from authoritarianism to win-win decision making. Win-win means everyone hearing everyone's main concerns and finding solutions that satisfy all such concerns, instead of conventional win-lose process, which seeks only to satisfy the in-group's concerns.
1. develop Project Win-Win; [mostly finished]
2. start Libertarian schools and towns based on win-win;
3. convert NH towns, counties & the state to win-win, then other states & countries;
2a. discuss ideas with FSP folks et al to work out the details
2b. ask Mark Warden et al about where might be the best place to start a town;
2c. plan to obtain property, start a school and plan each town;

What are the requirements for a town? Can a town be unincorporated? What are advantages of incorporating?
What occupations are needed in a town?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:09:01 am by Luck »

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Free Town
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:28:40 am »

This post http://www.dailypaul.com/node/76176 mentions advantages of incorporating.
If you live in an unincorporated area of your county, and if you have neighbors who agree, then incorporate into a town.
You will get a tax jurisdiction code and will start to receive the county tax that had been kept by the county from things like telecom and electric. You can set your own property tax and sales tax (both should preferably be zero).

With those funds, your town will provide police/court/building inspector, town council, road maintenance, etc. You don't really need your own police employee as you can rent that from the Sheriff under a contract.
The largest expense will be road maintenance and police, though you can go light on the police and rent/hire a part-timer and rent space in the county jail as-needed.
After everything is set up and running for a year and if you want a legal fight, have your town council work with your town attorney (part-timer on contract) to write a letter to the Feds telling them that access to any area within the town limits is only allowed by prior written permission. Make all roads private and post "no trespassing" signs on every road and set the ticket fee for trespassing to an enormous amount.
There are town in America with only a few dozen people. For those in unincorporated areas, this would take some leg-work but it can happen. Think of a good town name.
To incorporate a town is simply some well-accepted paperwork - very mainstream. People could stay near where they already live or at least in the same county if there are unincorporated areas near where they live. What would be the hesitation to start?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:41:17 am by Luck »

Lumpy

• Peaceful Loudmouth
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:47:27 am »

This post http://www.dailypaul.com/node/76176 mentions advantages of incorporating.
If you live in an unincorporated area of your county, and if you have neighbors who agree, then incorporate into a town.
You will get a tax jurisdiction code and will start to receive the county tax that had been kept by the county from things like telecom and electric. You can set your own property tax and sales tax (both should preferably be zero).

With those funds, your town will provide police/court/building inspector, town council, road maintenance, etc. You don't really need your own police employee as you can rent that from the Sheriff under a contract.
The largest expense will be road maintenance and police, though you can go light on the police and rent/hire a part-timer and rent space in the county jail as-needed.
After everything is set up and running for a year and if you want a legal fight, have your town council work with your town attorney (part-timer on contract) to write a letter to the Feds telling them that access to any area within the town limits is only allowed by prior written permission. Make all roads private and post "no trespassing" signs on every road and set the ticket fee for trespassing to an enormous amount.
There are town in America with only a few dozen people. For those in unincorporated areas, this would take some leg-work but it can happen. Think of a good town name.
To incorporate a town is simply some well-accepted paperwork - very mainstream. People could stay near where they already live or at least in the same county if there are unincorporated areas near where they live. What would be the hesitation to start?
...  or we can all simply move to Grafton.   ;D
Lumpy<br />“Stand Your Ground, Don’t Fire Unless Fired Upon. But If They Mean To Have War, Let it Start Here.” Captain John Parker, Lexington, Massachusetts April 19, 1775

ivyleague28477

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:57:14 pm »

;D

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:12:42 am »

or we can all simply move to Grafton.
* Are you planning to move there? Or are you already there?
* How many Libertarians are on the town board there? How Libertarian is Grafton?
* Does it have property taxes, sales taxes, a police dept? Are there zoning laws? Is it ripe for the "Small Town Anarchy" model or similar Libertarian models?
* What about other existing towns? Are any others ripe for adopting Libertarian models?
* What areas have the cheapest land to buy or rent, with no zoning laws, where new Libertarians could camp out & start to get settled?

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
Re: Free Town Project
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:20:02 am »

There is nothing happening in Grafton ... move along, nothing to see here.  ;)

I personally am interested in getting more likeminded people to join us in the area of Grafton. I posted that article in our paper, but am more interested in working to a purely voluntary society. I have no need for police, either government or private.

You can join us here for a visit or the rest of your life.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Lumpy

• Peaceful Loudmouth
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 10:01:40 pm »

There is nothing happening in Grafton ... move along, nothing to see here.  ;)

I personally am interested in getting more likeminded people to join us in the area of Grafton. I posted that article in our paper, but am more interested in working to a purely voluntary society. I have no need for police, either government or private.

You can join us here for a visit or the rest of your life.

Me thinks that many like minded are already there.   :D

Grafton is heaven.  Isn't it?
Lumpy<br />“Stand Your Ground, Don’t Fire Unless Fired Upon. But If They Mean To Have War, Let it Start Here.” Captain John Parker, Lexington, Massachusetts April 19, 1775

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 10:15:35 pm »

interested in working to a purely voluntary society. I have no need for police, either government or private.
* Sounds fine to me.
- Does Grafton have zoning laws or property taxes?
- Is there land or space to buy or rent cheap?
- Are Libertarians in the majority?
- Is there a city board and are many of the board members Libertarians?

research101

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 10:27:31 pm »

We may be Grafton bound??? Eventually....:)
""None are more enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Goethe"

lloydbob1

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 05:51:21 am »

interested in working to a purely voluntary society. I have no need for police, either government or private.
* Sounds fine to me.

Grafton has no zoning.
All Towns have property taxes
lots of land
Like everywhere, libertarians are not in the majority, but we have quite a few including some natives.
We have a 5 member planning board with two libertarians on it.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 08:14:36 am »

* Sounds fine to me.
no ... 2% property taxes
yes/no ... cheaper than other parts of NH ... not as cheap as empty land in NM
I have met only decent folks ... some grouches work for the government here, so I try to stay out of their office
don't know
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 08:16:49 am »

Grafton is heaven.  Isn't it?
If this is heaven ... I am a little disappointed.
I think you can see heaven from here.
We could make this heaven on earth though ... as Tolstoy said ... the kingdom of God is within you

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 10:01:05 am »

Grafton has no zoning.

We have a 5 member planning board with two libertarians on it.
[/quote]

==========================

That's really cool!  I wonder how many other towns across the US can say 2 out of 5 on the planning board are Libertarians plus No Zoning!

I don't know about you but just hearing that makes me want to build something! :)
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 12:25:59 pm »

* That's interesting about no zoning etc.
* I was just now looking for the population of Grafton. From the following site, I found that it's a bit over 1,100. And I see it also talks about a Free Town Project in Grafton in 2003 to 2004, which I didn't even know about till now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafton,_New_Hampshire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Town_Project
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:27:59 pm by Luck »

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 01:13:07 pm »

if you want to start up your own free town with different rules than typical governments, i think that in Grafton would be a good choice for one in NH
we already have many gangs that claim land ownership, taxing ability, and the authority to tell you how to live
town of grafton
county of grafton
state of nh
u.s. of a.
union of north america
al gore of carbon tax barons are us
u.n. of hey! stop burning our flag

we ignore some of them, we give in to others

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

anything