Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Porc Fest Cook-Off 2009  (Read 8067 times)

edi4liberty

Porc Fest Cook-Off 2009
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:13:25 pm »

Calling all cooks!!!!!

We are currently calling for contestants to battle it out at the 3rd Porc Fest Cook-Off!
Can we count you in?  Please check out the attached flyer and contact me to register!
Don't let your friends and fellow porcs out-cook you!  Register today!!

Edi Swearingen
edi@sugargroup.net
603-203-4593
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:15:17 pm by edi4liberty »

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Porc Fest Cook-Off 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:28:46 pm »

Go get um Edi!  It's a great event!  I believe Jen won last time, but the real winner's were all
of us who got to get the great grub!
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

edi4liberty

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:47:15 pm »

Thanks Dave!  It's going to be a great event.  A wide variety of "one-pot-meals" I hope which include all these awesome chili recipes I've been hearing about!  :-)  Bring it on, people!!!  Bring it on!  :-)

edi4liberty

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:49:07 pm »

And yes!  In 2006, Jenn Coffey won a big fat check and braggin' rights!  I think she's planning to defend her title :-) 

ivyleague28477

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:53:56 pm »

Edi,

A question has come my way, and I figured I'd post it for a reply so all can know the answer.  :)

Could you be more specific in the "one pot" rule?  Does this mean everything from start to finish must be done within the same pot?  or simply that the dish presented as a whole must be a "one pot" dish/meal. 

In other words, can contestants use mixing bowls and/or platters if need be throughout the cooking process, or, from start to finish, only thing available, is your one and only pot. 

And/or, can contestants mix some things up ahead of time (i.e. if meatballs are in the dish, can the contestant mix the hamburger and ingredients together and roll the meatballs ahead of time)?  or do the meatballs need to be made in that one pot at the site during the contest.

Thanks for the clarification!

Ivy

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:59:28 pm »

In one pot standing on one foot.

You may chose witch foot to stand on.  ;D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

ivyleague28477

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:02:22 pm »

In one pot standing on one foot.

You may chose witch foot to stand on.  ;D

>:D  brat!   ;D

edi4liberty

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:28:17 pm »

Thank you for the questions - what we need to see is one dish at the end.  Yes, mixing bowls and multiple pots can be used in preparation.  But in the end, it has to come together to serve from one dish/pot.  For example, in one of my chili recipes, I braise the meat separately, but in the end, it's all combined together.  That's what we're looking for.  Some examples include, but are not limited to:  chili, soup, stew, curry, fried rice, stroganoff, chili-mac, you get the idea. 

And this is a MAIN DISH cook-off.  Don't go trying to sneak in a one-pot brownie or some such other nonsense!  These main dishes are going to be used to serve the diners who are also the judges.  They are paying to eat and judge - so make it good!  The more people we feed, the bigger the CASH PRIZES!!  :-)  We will couple the entries with a "monster salad" and will be selling baked goods as well.

Yes, you MAY COOK AHEAD OF TIME - in whole, or in part.  If you want to cook ahead, and then bring it with you and reheat at your campsite, that is totally ok, and within the rules.  We are libertarian after all - there shouldn't be too many regulations!  :-)  We just want to eat your cookin' !

Great questions!  Now, who's in? 

XOXO Edi

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 10:02:03 pm »

Hey Edi,

The Chili Contest looks awesome and I want to participate but I had a question regarding how much chili I would have to make.  Originally, I was thinking I'd make my one big pot of Chili, let the judges eat half and eat the other half myself! :)   But then I read "higher cash prize, more people eat" and it made me think I could be wrong regarding what's necessary to participate.

Thanks for your reply!

The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

ivyleague28477

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 10:48:00 pm »

Markus, she's gonna slap you for callin' it a chili contest again! hehehehe  >:D

Edi, Thanks for the answers!  I'll send a contestant your way shortly, I suspect!  :)

edi4liberty

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:54:59 pm »

Yeah, I think he's just trying to irritate me now :-) 

What contestants will need to do is provide a sample sized portion for each person who dines/judges.  So, for example (only) if we serve 100 people, you would need to make 100 sample sized portions - we estimated that previously as 1 full-sized adult portion = 10 sample sized portions.  So, to feed 100 you'd need to provide 10 adult sized portions.  Does that make sense?  I won't know exactly how many servings you'll need to make, until I know how many contestants we have participating.  I wouldn't anticipate anyone needing to make more than 10 adult-size servings.

This cook-off also serves as a community meal together, so the diners/judges will pay for the opportunity to vote and chow down!  The tickets sales are given out as the CASH PRIZES!  In 2006, we gave away $700 in prize money.  This year, we are adding an extra bonus of donating money to a local food charity in the 1st place winner's community.  That's in addition to the CASH PRIZES! 

I hope you'll consider participating.  We had a great time with this event at Rogers previously and we're looking forward to it being even bigger and better this year!  :-)

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have other questions.

Edi

edi4liberty

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:58:32 pm »

Edi, Thanks for the answers!  I'll send a contestant your way shortly, I suspect!  :)

You're very welcome!  Send them my way.  We're getting a great bunch assembled... including, Jenn Coffey!  She is preparing something special to defend her title with!  Yum!

XOXO Edi

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 01:22:44 pm »

Sorry for the Misundestanding Edi, I guess I've had Chili on my brain as I begin the "Spring Training" (beer drinking) for the "Cook Off"(!) (I finally got it right!).  Anyway, I would never make subtle wisecracks like that (if I make a sarcastic crack it will  be  (Painfully? :( Obvious! :), (see preceeding sentence!) because I have seen too many instances where a misunderstanding of sarcasim has led to a negative result).

Anyway, Thanks for answering my questions, makes sense, the Cook Off sounds great, so count me in :)!

The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

edi4liberty

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 04:00:32 pm »

Sorry for the Misundestanding Edi, I guess I've had Chili on my brain as I begin the "Spring Training" (beer drinking) for the "Cook Off"(!) (I finally got it right!).  Anyway, I would never make subtle wisecracks like that (if I make a sarcastic crack it will  be  (Painfully? :( Obvious! :), (see preceeding sentence!) because I have seen too many instances where a misunderstanding of sarcasim has led to a negative result).

Do you know my husband Varrin?  Let's just say, I know my way around sarcasm!  I can take it!  :-)  And be careful - I can dish it out too!  :-D

Glad you're in! 

Edi

PorcupineSteve76

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 02:29:24 am »

Is this strictly one meal by one person? Also, is this strictly "one-pot" meals? Count me in!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up