Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support Mechanism - Prospective Member Question  (Read 5972 times)

Uncle Deedah

• I'm a llama!
Re:Support Mechanism - Prospective Member Question
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2002, 10:34:08 pm »

It's not a pretty picture you paint Dex, but you nailed it right on.
I saw a man who didn't have a smile, so I gave him one.

cdbern_99

• freedom fighter: source-DNA
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2002, 05:51:04 am »

Most of us will probably be active in the Libertarian Party at first.  Some have suggested that we could merge the Libertarians with other groups to form a new autonomist party specifically oriented toward our state's concerns.  Others have suggested that we eventually lead a libertarian takeover of the Republicans.  I think any of these could work, so long as we have the numbers.

Taking over either party would be interesting.  I watched as the young people in Alaska took over the Democratic Party in an effort to get McGovern nominated for President.  It was surprisingly easy.  Since I worked for the Congressman at the time I couldn't actually be involved (PR you know), but hubby and I certainly did a lot of coaching.

Bill

• David Nolan and I, 2002 LP National Convention
    • Bill's web sight
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2002, 08:30:39 pm »

The Libertarian party is a laughingstock to most of the country, including many self-identified libertarians.  My personal opinion (and one that was articulated pretty early on in the project) is that we will be better served by a state party (e.g., the Montana State Party) which addresses issues specific to our state and incorporates the state-loyalty already extant. We are starting something new here, and we are not an offshoot of the LP not should we constrain ourselves by pretending to be so.

Fair enough Elizabeth, I don't wave the banner for any diehard reason. I believe that this Label best represents my beliefs. If the State Party does what this discussion board hopes that it will do, then perhaps the Libertarians in the state will abandon the LP and join the state party. I would have no problems with that. A rose by any other name...........

AmateurEmale

Re: Support Mechanism - Prospective Member Question
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 08:17:04 pm »

I disagree with Elizabeth.  Libertarians will not have to be "losertarians" for very long if their ideas become accepted by more of the populace.  To give up on the Libertarian Party entirely would be a strategy for Nerf libertarians (LINOs) who are not serious about Libertarianism in our lifetime.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up