Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice from the community: Camping with a kid and a cat.  (Read 10857 times)

muni

Advice from the community: Camping with a kid and a cat.
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:08:15 am »

Just made a reservation for porcfest. All 3 of us - a 5yo, a cat and a dad - will be there for 3 days Thursday to Sunday. It will be my first time staying there and I'd like to get some feedback from the more experienced porcfesters here.

Motel/tent: With all the friendly, experienced and helpful people with kids around, I thought it would be a good opportunity to go camping for the first time with Joshua. Does it make sense or should we go for the motel? Joshua is quite flexible, it's me who is the panicky one :)

Tent site 39: The nice and helpful guy from the campground suggested site 39 (between sites 42 and 79). It has electricity (we'll bring a small fridge) it's close to the bathrooms and it's relatively dry. He didn't know if it was going to be too noisy at night - what do you think? Where are the other camping families (Dreepas? Richards? Others?) going to be? Where is the Fun Tent with the booze and promiscuous people going to be? :)

Cat: Joshua insists on bringing Gingy with us. He's a 6 months old indoors cat. What do you think? Any special considerations?

I'm starting to make a list of things to bring. I think I thought about everything other than a mobile surgery room, but it's our first time, I'll appreciate a list of items to bring and please write even the obvious and don't worry if you repeat, I'll summarize the list and post it here.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you !
Panicky dad in Manchester

ny2nh

Re: Advice from the community: Camping with a kid and a cat.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 04:46:49 pm »

Plan on losing Gingy and the real possibility of never seeing him again. Are you planning to zip him in the tent all day? Putting a litter box in there with you? Attempting to put him on a leash? One scare and he could very well dart off and never come back. Seriously. It's not like when a cat wanders away from his house....eventually he finds his way back. At the campground, everything is foreign and if he runs off, he may never find his way back. Plus, a lot of people will have their dogs and that will likely only freak him out more.

Seriously, leave him home. I can't give you another one!

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 06:12:27 pm »

Plan on losing Gingy and the real possibility of never seeing him again. Are you planning to zip him in the tent all day? Putting a litter box in there with you? Attempting to put him on a leash? One scare and he could very well dart off and never come back. Seriously. It's not like when a cat wanders away from his house....eventually he finds his way back. At the campground, everything is foreign and if he runs off, he may never find his way back. Plus, a lot of people will have their dogs and that will likely only freak him out more.

Seriously, leave him home. I can't give you another one!

That's what I was going to say!  You can have him chipped, as I did with my two before making the move, but that's an iffy process at best.

muni

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:26:42 pm »

That's what I was going to say!  You can have him chipped, as I did with my two before making the move, but that's an iffy process at best.

Yes, with cats it's less certain. He is chipped but I'm not sure that if a lion or a shark or whatever wild animal they have there finds Gingi they will bring him to the nearest vet.

lobstah

• FSP Participant
    • my music
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:42:41 am »

i'll be camping with my two daughters, who will have just turned 1 and 2. if i can pull this off, then you can pull off anything!

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 11:00:46 pm »

i'll be camping with my two daughters, who will have just turned 1 and 2. if i can pull this off, then you can pull off anything!

Are they likely to scamper faster than you can keep up into the woods or across highways?  Climb trees and refuse to come down?  Raise their backs and snarl at strange, possibly dangerous animals?  Hide in places too small to fit your hands?

ny2nh

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 05:44:32 am »

Are they likely to scamper faster than you can keep up into the woods or across highways?  Climb trees and refuse to come down?  Raise their backs and snarl at strange, possibly dangerous animals?  Hide in places too small to fit your hands?

Pretty much what I thought when I read that!

lloydbob1

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 06:29:06 am »

I'm thinking that an argument can be made that cats don't like camping and your cat would prefer to go to a Spa while you two are at Porcfest.

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:12:57 am »

I'm thinking that an argument can be made that cats don't like camping and your cat would prefer to go to a Spa while you two are at Porcfest.
And if she decides to take you along, she'd better get you both chipped . . .

LiftsBoxes

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 12:04:31 pm »

Come on!  Where is your sense of adventure?  Bring the cat, they're delicious!

j/k
"Bother!" said Pooh as he chambered another round.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:29:18 pm »

Gingi called me late last night and told me to tell you she's all good, in the hood and would prefer to Chill Out at the Crib and that she would catch you on the rebound of PorcFest :) 
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

muni

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 10:28:02 pm »

ok, so other than the jokes everyone I talked to said bringing the cat was a bad idea. Oh, well. We wanted to have a nice family fun together but I guess Gingy will have to stay home.

Here he is, in his favourite activity.

Other suggestions will be appreciated - thanks ..

muni .

Amos

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:49:02 pm »

Where are the other camping families (Dreepas? Richards? Others?) going to be?

We've got #5 again, I think...next to the playground.  Leave the kitty @ home w/ plenty o' high-quality food & H2O.  You and Joshua will have a total blast, man.  Our site is the "fun tent" for kiddos (playground, movies, marshmallows, sparklers, etc).  You can find good camping lists on the interweb.  Stick w/ us, and I'll keep you out of trouble.  ;)

muni

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:30:23 am »

Stick w/ us, and I'll keep you out of trouble.  ;)

hehe ..  that's the best advice so far :)  So you're going to have kids fun tent, I can see that. I think that the kids will have a blast there, I just hope it won't rain.

Any other kids coming?

muni .

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 11:02:11 am »

ok, so other than the jokes everyone I talked to said bringing the cat was a bad idea. Oh, well. We wanted to have a nice family fun together but I guess Gingy will have to stay home.

Here he is, in his favourite activity.

Other suggestions will be appreciated - thanks ..

muni .

Great Picture of Gingy! 

And I'm sorry you can't bring him, but it's not worth the risk of losing that nice guy in woods for life!

Besides, he emailed me yesterday and said he's got a bunch of DVD's coming through NetFlicks (Cats Ruling over Dogs type of Movies) for that week.

PS:  That Kid's Fun Tent sounds Cool!
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up